This is a big thing for me. Now, call me talentless or dumb, but it seems to me that the only time I can come up with a halfway decent riff is when I'm playing in a drop tuning. I keep one of my guitars in Drop D and the other one in Standard C or B, depending on what I'm playing.

I'm not sure why I feel limited playing in Standard tuning but I just do. It feels like the only thing I can come up with is simple power chord riffing that's very cliche and unoriginal. Does anyone else know where I'm coming from with this?

I'd really like to start playing more in Standard, because I feel like you can do more with it if you're experienced, but I just can't seem to get past simple stuff. It's like I have a writer's block that I can't overcome.

Well, any help would be appreciated. Flame away.
"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." ~Carl Sagan
*reported*

please read the rules in the announcement at the top of this forum.
dunno if you'd be better off with Muscian Talk or Electric Guitar.
but definitely not S&L.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
That's just where you write at.

I'd say get used to it, not think something is wrong.
1992 Gibson Explorer (Seymour Duncan '59 neck, Custom Custom bridge)
Jackson King V Professional Std. (Seymour Duncan Invaders)
Mesa/Boogie Nomad 55
Mesa/Boogie 412 Recto. O/S Cabinet
Boss ME-50
MXR 10-Band EQ
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
*reported*

please read the rules in the announcement at the top of this forum.
dunno if you'd be better off with Muscian Talk or Electric Guitar.
but definitely not S&L.

Man, seriously, 'songwriting'?

You goofy kids classify the board like hardcore genres now adays. You want a sash or a cookie for your narc job?
1992 Gibson Explorer (Seymour Duncan '59 neck, Custom Custom bridge)
Jackson King V Professional Std. (Seymour Duncan Invaders)
Mesa/Boogie Nomad 55
Mesa/Boogie 412 Recto. O/S Cabinet
Boss ME-50
MXR 10-Band EQ
dude every metal band in the world writes riffs like that. theres nothing wrong with them
bottom line: every musician has something that works for them, and just because its unique doesnt make it wrong
Yeah, I see what you're saying about sticking to the tuning, but I want to explore more things and kind of span out my playing so it all doesn't sound the same.
"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." ~Carl Sagan
i understand that, i play a seven string and i can really write better in drop A so just go with whatever is comfortable
My Gear-
Schecter C7 FR
Schecter Damien 7
Line 6 Spider III 150 2x12
Massive pedal board
Spector Legend Custom 5 string
Ampeg BA-112 50 watt
Quote by HavokStrife

You goofy kids classify the board like hardcore genres now adays. You want a sash or a cookie for your narc job?

seriously, read the rules.
... or just keep bumping this thread and get yourself a warning.

your choice.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by HavokStrife

^ u win

its rediculous how people r so strict about this stuff, if they put half as much energy into actually answering the questions these people have than bitching about things being in the wrong forum, i think the forums would be a lot better place and a lot of guitarist could actually benefit from ug, instead of being terrorized, and since the point of ug is to help guitarists, thats what we should be striving for
Gear

Guitar:
Squier Strat

Amp:
Fender Roc Pro 1000 Half Stack

Pedals:
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Original Crybaby Wah
Digitech Cool Cat Chorus
Quote by wicket_nirvana
^ u win

its rediculous how people r so strict about this stuff, if they put half as much energy into actually answering the questions these people have than bitching about things being in the wrong forum, i think the forums would be a lot better place and a lot of guitarist could actually benefit from ug, instead of being terrorized, and since the point of ug is to help guitarists, thats what we should be striving for

I think you should keep your opinions to yourself.
This is not a pipe