I've got what may be a stupid question, but I need to ask it. When you were (or if you still are) beginner/intermediate, what kind of stuff do you do when you're at Guitar Center or some other store trying out guitars? When I go down there I feel stupid sometimes because I don't know exactly what I should be playing. I play through chords and simple stuff, but it's embarrassing with everyone around me playing actual songs and what sounds like sophisticated stuff. I'm going down this weekend to try out some Fenders and I want to be sure I get a good feel for tone, etc. Any help would be appreciated.

Casey
Chords, scales, blues-y improv. Anything I feel like playing. What Fenders do you play to check out by the way?
dude, i have the same problem, what i do is turn the volume down on the amp and then just play what i would usually play. however i'm a bassist and most guitarists dont even notice that there's a bass section
Ya I just go thru random stuff that would give me at least an impression of how the guitar plays. Like testing the action, sustain, neck quickness, how well it stays in tune, etc. You can get an idea of how each guitar does each of these things just by playing a couple licks on different parts of the neck.
there's really a bass section?! just kidding... but really.. all i do is turn the volume down on the amp and play what i normally do... i play my originals, my lead riffs, a little soloing..... anything that i normally do..
Quote by Iceman 420
Chords, scales, blues-y improv. Anything I feel like playing. What Fenders do you play to check out by the way?

I'm checking out an American strat HSS and an American Special Mahogany HSS probably, maybe a MIM. I just want to be able to compare the tones and stuff. I'm still not very good, so I'm just hoping I don't sound like an idiot. lol
Well to compare tones and stuff, all you really need to do is play similar things on the guitars you want to compare and use your ears. And when it comes to playing, just play whatever you want. Play some chords, play some licks, up and down the neck, just to get a feel for how the guitar plays and sounds. It really doesn't matter how good you are, no one is there to judge you and people generally don't really listen to what you're playing unless you're playing either very loudly or are very good.
play what you know of:
stairway to heaven
Smoke on the water
sweet child o' mine
iron man
sunshine of your love
Quote by Jake2
play what you know of:
stairway to heaven
Smoke on the water
sweet child o' mine
iron man
sunshine of your love

you have to make sure the whole store can hear you when you play those though
i have the same problem mate, i forget all the songs i know and i dont feel 2 comfortable whit all the people looking at me and some other people playing like profesionals lol...
Quote by stinger12345
No stairway!!!!!!!!

I don't have to worry about that. I'm just learning that at home right now. No way would I play it in public.
Don't be feeling uneasy. There is absolutely no shame being a beginner. Just play the way you always played. Don't forget you are there to try the guitar, not showing off skills.
G͔͓̅e͎͉̟̽ͬ͐̎̃͐ͨͅå͈͖͕̹̤̟̐̏͋ͅr̩͕̫̰̗s̹̳̼ͥ̒̍̄̅ͥ̚:

ESP Standard Eclipse I CTM VW
ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP LTD Deluxe Viper-1000 STBC
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Warmoth Paulcaster "Tiger"
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R

I just noodle, though I think I read somewhere, maybe even here, that Holy Diver is a good one because it's simple, people recognize it, and it's not played out. So now I'll include that in my noodling, and they're right. People are pretty appreciative of that.

It also depends on what I'm testing and playing on. I'm not gonna play bluesy licks if I'm checking to see if an amp has some really high gain capabilities and I'm not going to bust out the opening riff of Seek and Destroy if I'm playing with a Tele on a Blues Deluxe.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

VOLUME SWELLING OCTAVE MONGER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣