I play guitar and im starting a lil band with a few friends. now we have a drummer and a guitarist and my other friend is gonna do bass. he use to do chello(idk how to spell it) but that was like 5 years ago and thats all hes rlly done. so he has a guitar now and i was wondering wat kinds of things he could practice that would help him with the bass.??
playing it would help :P
Originally Posted by smb
I'm an arrogant bastard - I thought I was good before I'd plucked a note. I was right, of course.

Quote by MetalBass 77
sonsie knows all
as my guitar teacher says "bass is for failed guitarists"

no offense to bassists.. but 99% of the time, bassists can't play guitars to save their lives... about i'd say 90% of guitarists can play bass seamlessly.

bass is the same a guitar only lower, and without the top 2 strings.. you don't need chords, just single notes.. it's simple
Quote by blocbody
basically just playing one and learning it

Pfft, no one can hear the bass in that song!
Gear:
-A Guitar
-A Bass Guitar
AND...
-amps for BOTH of them!!

(who cares?)
fightinIrishPJ obviously know nothing ABSOLUTELY NOTHING ABOUT BASS

AND HE SHOULD GO SUCK A ****!!!!!!!!!!!!! bass isnt for failed guitarists infact i betcha guitarists couldnt pick up a bass to save their lives

go onto the lessons part of UG and look up so stuff over there

and also do u know wat sort of music you will be playin?
Originally Posted by smb
I'm an arrogant bastard - I thought I was good before I'd plucked a note. I was right, of course.

Quote by MetalBass 77
sonsie knows all
yeah then just check out the lessons and try and learn some scales or some **** i dunno
Originally Posted by smb

Quote by MetalBass 77
sonsie knows all
Quote by FightinIrishPJ

no offense to bassists.. but 99% of the time, bassists can't play guitars to save their lives... about i'd say 90% of guitarists can play bass seamlessly.

bass is the same a guitar only lower, and without the top 2 strings.. you don't need chords, just single notes.. it's simple

Bass is as hard or harder than guitar...
As a bassist you're the foundation for the bands rhythm and chord progression
AND technique can be very difficult. Have you ever tried to use 4 fingers on one string but still keeping in time?
I like rap, feel free to use that as an argument against me.
FightinIrishPJ, if your guitar teacher is serious when he says that I think you should get a new one. In my opinion, learning from someone with an attitude such as that will be detrimental to your progress as a musician.

Oh and FYI, I am better than the majority of guitarist I know (though 3 of them are gods and I have nothing on them) and only two can play bass half decently, the rest just make a buzzy mess and can't hold time.

TS, there is no substitute for practicing on a bass. You really can't practice bass stuff on a guitar.
Quote by FightinIrishPJ

Ok, you're either a troll or an idiot. I know a bassist who can play like Jaco him self, and then can pick up a guitar and thrash some Paul Gilbert almost flawlessly, and he still considers him self a bassist.

And in all honesty a bass =/= smaller guitar

As bass is tuned in Fourths, the standard tuning of a 6 string bass going: BEADGC instead of EADGBe on a guitar.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Last edited by ChemicalFire at Jun 27, 2008,
Quote by FightinIrishPJ

And warnings are for trolls.

And this thread is closed with a few warnings all round.