i want this guitar....
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Ovation-Applause-Series-AE148-Super-Shallow-Cutaway-Acoustic-Electric-Guitar-516977-i1392764.gc

just wondering if there are better alternatives
i really like ovation but just wanna check the value
i HAVE to record and it cant be more than $250

NOTE:
this has to be something i purchase soon so i can't wait to save up for a better one sadly enough otherwise i would save up for the one thats
AND i'm not gunna buy a regular acoustic for this price and mic it up cuz i do that now with my guitar and i hate the way it sounds
ovations are disgusting no offence or anything.... but most other brands are better.. well personally....hey look into guild or taylor or larrivee or matin i dont know if you could get anything good for that price though
Quote by trevorjps
ovations are disgusting no offence or anything.... but most other brands are better.. well personally....hey look into guild or taylor or larrivee or matin i dont know if you could get anything good for that price though

thank you that told me nothing
i know the GOOD brands already
I know you don't want to save your money, but buying that is just a stupid idea.
ovations are crappy .. even if you plug it in with factory electronics it sounds like an electric .. only the high end ovations are decent .. look in to something else .. ovations look cool .. but no .. dont do it
take it easy man .. its just a thread
Quote by the elefant
i want this guitar....
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Ovation-Applause-Series-AE148-Super-Shallow-Cutaway-Acoustic-Electric-Guitar-516977-i1392764.gc

just wondering if there are better alternatives
i really like ovation but just wanna check the value
i HAVE to record and it cant be more than $250

NOTE:
this has to be something i purchase soon so i can't wait to save up for a better one sadly enough otherwise i would save up for the one thats
AND i'm not gunna buy a regular acoustic for this price and mic it up cuz i do that now with my guitar and i hate the way it sounds

So... you're wondering if there are better alternatives... but they cant be a regular shaped acoustic guitar? Uhh... can you clarify some more? Ovations sound even worse than normal shaped acoustic guitars when played acoustically.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
Quote by captivate
So... you're wondering if there are better alternatives... but they cant be a regular shaped acoustic guitar? Uhh... can you clarify some more? Ovations sound even worse than normal shaped acoustic guitars when played acoustically.

i didnt say they couldnt be regular shapes
anything thats acoustic electric in that price range
i know it wont be much and it wont sound increadible....i'm not expecting that
thats what i dont understand about these forums
"if it doesnt cost a lot money its obviously s_h_i_t" seems to be the motto of these forums...i'm just asking for help for someone who cant afford those things and all i ever get is "your an idiot buy this for $500 instead" i dont have $500
i barely have 250, not even and i've been saving forever

i dont want to sound like the best guitar player, i'd rather that be shown in my skill than the sound of my guitar and i've been playing long enough to realize that....just the best quality in that price that meets my needs

acoustic electric
$250

sorry i vented right there and if i get flamed for it i really dont care
High-end Ovations are great, but don't get a cheap one like that. The shallow bowls have a pretty bad sound. Go with a deeper bowl if you can afford it. Otherwise, go for an Ibanez avoustic-electric or something like that.

I wouldn't recomment buying an Ovation unless you're willing to spend at least $800 or so new, or $400 used, at the very minimum.
kill all humans
Quote by alaskan_ninja
I wouldn't recomment buying an Ovation unless you're willing to spend at least $800 or so new, or $400 used, at the very minimum.

Unless you're getting one of their old electrics.

I've got a $200 Celebrity. I can add my testimony that low-end Ovations suck tremendous ass.
My good man, here's some advice: low-end Ovations blow. Buy yourself a Yamaha FG700s and a crappy pickup. This way you'll at least have a good guitar, and you can upgrade the pickup later if you want. If you buy an acoustic electric at this price range, you'll end up with a crappy guitar and crappy electronics, and you WILL regret it.
Quote by Cheers
My good man, here's some advice: low-end Ovations blow. Buy yourself a Yamaha FG700s and a crappy pickup. This way you'll at least have a good guitar, and you can upgrade the pickup later if you want. If you buy an acoustic electric at this price range, you'll end up with a crappy guitar and crappy electronics, and you WILL regret it.

preach on my brother .. lol .. yea what he said .. i love the fg700s
take it easy man .. its just a thread
Quote by the elefant
i didnt say they couldnt be regular shapes
anything thats acoustic electric in that price range
i know it wont be much and it wont sound increadible....i'm not expecting that
thats what i dont understand about these forums
"if it doesnt cost a lot money its obviously s_h_i_t" seems to be the motto of these forums...i'm just asking for help for someone who cant afford those things and all i ever get is "your an idiot buy this for $500 instead" i dont have $500
i barely have 250, not even and i've been saving forever

i dont want to sound like the best guitar player, i'd rather that be shown in my skill than the sound of my guitar and i've been playing long enough to realize that....just the best quality in that price that meets my needs

acoustic electric
$250

sorry i vented right there and if i get flamed for it i really dont care

Ok. I just needed to know what you meant by a "regular" acoustic. My next question is... what kind of mic do you have? A good condenser mic beats out any electronics that an acoustic can use.
Equipment:

If you really need to record something now... do you have any friends or acquaintances that can lend you their acoustic-electric? And if you're just recording a demo, just record it your microphone and guitar. Getting a song completed first is more important than the guitar sounding like a dream. You even said so yourself.

If you're really that serious about whatever you are recording just buy on credit or something similar and pay it off over time. Or, get a job. If you're too young.... do something around the house and try to make money off your parents?

Basically, it's just preferable to save up a little more money. Especially since you're going the A/E route and the electronics bump the price of the guitar up plenty.

Good luck with it man
Quote by captivate
Ok. I just needed to know what you meant by a "regular" acoustic. My next question is... what kind of mic do you have? A good condenser mic beats out any electronics that an acoustic can use.

no
i wish i had a condenser mic....thats actually a good idea
regular acoustic referring to NOT acoustic-electric and not round back
the mic i use is a piece of **** that my brother gave to me thats held together with duck tape
anything will probably beat out the quality i use now

and i've recorded plenty...i'm not new to guitar i just wanted advice on low-end acoustic-electrics
i know what brands are good and what arent....i'm just looking for a 'diamond in the rough' so i asked you guys

i think i might buy this guitar
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Takamine-G440C-Acoustic-Guitar-516422-i1148979.gc

or of course the yamaha fg700s
Last edited by the elefant at Jun 28, 2008,
get the FG700s and a simple condenser mic. problem solved. from what you're saying, im pretty sure that even an "ok" condenser mic will beat out whatever you're using currently. get the FG700S and a condenser.
Equipment:

Quote by captivate
get the FG700s and a simple condenser mic. problem solved. from what you're saying, im pretty sure that even an "ok" condenser mic will beat out whatever you're using currently. get the FG700S and a condenser.

What condenser mic would you suggest he purchase? While I agree that this is probably the best route to go, you have to keep in mind he probably doesn't have things like a recording interface, and he wants to keep costs down. Presumably you're talking about a battery-powered mic (so he doesn't have to worry about phantom power) and one that connects to a USB port on his computer. Do you know of any ones like this that are cheap?
Look in the used market; I've never had a good experience with the cheaper ovations. Honestly, I haven't liked any ovation. Look used. Craigslist is great.
Member of the EHX Guild

Yamaha SG500B
Danelectro Fish 'n' Chips EQ
EHX Russian Big Muff
Roland Cube 30
Jake will suffice.

Join the revolution, GG&A.
You should probably check out the under 300$ guitar thread thats stickied, and then get one of those. Heres my recommendation, you'll probably spend a bit more then you wanted, but only by a couple bucks. Get one of these http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Alvarez-RD20S-Regent-Series-Dreadnought-Acoustic-Guitar?sku=518725

And then slap a pickup on it. All told, you'll probably spend between 290-300, but I honestly think that will give you the best sound for your price range. You want a solid top, and its hard to get anything around 250 that won't sound like complete crap, but if you can just bump up to 300, I think you'll be doing just fine. Sorry if that doesn't help you out at all, I know being poor sucks :/, lol.

Edit: also, the Yamaha fg700s would be a good buy as well, as stated above. I just like alvarez
********May Truth and Good Music Prevail!********
here ya go. takamine jasmine. $250. acoustic-electric. takamine acoustic pickups are good all the way around the board.

Look At It
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Check out the Alvarez RD20's they can be had at around 270-300 and are the creme of the crop at the said price range...Heard some good things about the Yamaha's around this range as well...Just roam around, Call some pawn shops, Go to some shops and just try and find some good deals...You'll be surprised at what can be found. Good Luck
ok so you want...

-out of the norm body style (IE something "out there" like ovation)
-good electronics with NO mic, real electronics
-good/decent sound quality (better than the mic setup you have now)
-all for 250 or less with tax I assume b/c it cant be more than 250?

You are chasing a dream bud, its just plain not gonna happen at that price range. Unless you have TONS of patience b/c im sure a deal like taht is bound to pop up SOMEWHERE, EVENTUALLY. but by the time it does you could probably save at least 500
Quote by Wiggly
ok so you want...

-out of the norm body style (IE something "out there" like ovation)
-good electronics with NO mic, real electronics
-good/decent sound quality (better than the mic setup you have now)
-all for 250 or less with tax I assume b/c it cant be more than 250?

You are chasing a dream bud, its just plain not gonna happen at that price range. Unless you have TONS of patience b/c im sure a deal like taht is bound to pop up SOMEWHERE, EVENTUALLY. but by the time it does you could probably save at least 500

No.
He wants an electro-acoutic-any shape-for $250. He said he doesn't need it to be amazing.

How about this?
i think i might go with the alvarez rd8 or rd20 (if i can find the extra dough to shovel out)
i stumbled upon it and it sounded the best out of all the "discounted" (meaning bad off brands i.e. stagg) guitars on the rack (which probably isnt saying much)
but i thought i sounded better than a lot of the non-acoustic-electric guitars in the price range of course
i was just a little hesitant seeing as although i've heard of the brand, i havent heard anything more than that, nothing good or bad
even though i'm already sold on the Takamine EG340C
and if i can get it discounted then i'll get it
Last edited by the elefant at Jun 30, 2008,
Quote by the elefant
i think i might go with the alvarez rd8 or rd20 (if i can find the extra dough to shovel out)
i stumbled upon it and it sounded the best out of all the "discounted" (meaning bad off brands i.e. stagg) guitars on the rack (which probably isnt saying much)
but i thought i sounded better than a lot of the non-acoustic-electric guitars in the price range of course
i was just a little hesitant seeing as although i've heard of the brand, i havent heard anything more than that, nothing good or bad

Alvavrez is not an off brand!!! Take it back!!! *Goes to cry in a corner...* No seriously tho, alvarez make fantastic guitars, some of the best bang for your buck you will ever find, and their top of the line guitars will hang in there with any martin or taylor or breedlove you want to throw at them. Good luck in your decision!
********May Truth and Good Music Prevail!********