Hey Guys,

I am somewhat a noob to recording gear/live sound, so I have a couple questions. Forgive me if I am totally ignorant with my questions.

1. Will a standard mic stand work for just about any mic (condenser and dynamic, etc.)?
2. What is needed to mount the mic to the stand?
3. What should I look for in a mic stand

Right now I have an MXL 2001 Condenser Mic, so what will I need to get to put that on a stand? What about for dynamic mics? Thanks.

Also, a side question....

What is the best type of mic to mic an acoustic guitar? Thanks.
Quote by LeftyDave
Would you buy a car without taking it for a test drive? Same with guitars.

Now if it were only so easy with women! "I think I'll take her for a spin tonight" lol
All mic stands are fairly similar when it comes to mounting clips for mics although there are some things that change and that you should look for.

They come in short size so you can use them on guitar amps or bass drums.
The standard size units are for a bunch of different uses such as tom drums or vocals...
Then there's the large boom stands for overheads on drums but those are hardly ever needed IMO.

For standard use I would look for a standard size stand with a boom arm which is adjustable. These will allow you to move the boom in and out, the stand will move up and down and you the adjust the angle.

I got one of theseand love it. The mic clip and mic are cheap and mostly useless but the stand is simply amazing and I still use the cable form that pack. No complains at all. I can only find other stands as adjustable as that at double the price.

When it comes to clips, most mics come with one but its suggested that you get a shock mount for condensers such as this one
for the MXL 2001

As you can see, it threads onto the mic stand like all the other clips out there.

If using a heavy mic, try some stands out in the store and make sure they are stable.

The best acoustic guitar mic is msot likley over your budget and will run around $3,000 but if you are in a home studio, the Rode NT1A is a nice choice and is around $200

also see this page:
http://www.tweakheadz.com/microphones_for_the_home_studio.htm
Last edited by moody07747 at Jun 27, 2008,
Awesome!! Thanks so much!

So if I got a couple of those stands that you provided a link to, will it be both long enough for a vocal recording, and somewhat short enough for an acoustic guitar when sitting down? I assume the arm and the vertical bar are both adjustable, correct?

What exactly is a "boom"? Thanks.
Quote by LeftyDave

Now if it were only so easy with women! "I think I'll take her for a spin tonight" lol
the boom is the skinny part of the stand:

Yes the standard size will be able to work in just about any situation. The stands with an adjustable boom (unlike the one in this image) will be easier to work with.
One more question.

With that MXL 990 package, will that shockmount work with my MXL 2001 also?
Quote by LeftyDave

Probably not but you can search around the MF site or MXLs site and get the measurements and see what the size difference is.

usually you must use the shock mount made for that mic...

I use both a 990 and 991 all the time without a shock mount. I keep the stand on carpet but dont usually have any problems with noise.