This may be a stupid question, but is there a way to install another volume knob on a guitar, you know, for better sound control?
If you already have a volume control for each individual pickup, there's not much else you could do. There is a possibility of master volume to control the gain after balancing the two with eachother, but well-matched pickups don't have a huge enough discrepancy in volume to warrant that need. Plus every potentiometer you put between a pickup and amp, that's like lowering the given knob 2 notches from hardwiring it in. Seeing as your volume is your gain, you'd need an onboard preamp/boost to make up for the unnecessary potentiometer. And if you already have active electronics in your guitar, then your pickups should be matched.

NOW, if you don't have individual volume controls, that's a different issue.
If you have, say, an epiphone les paul special II, you only have a single volume, and a single tone knob, and two pickups. My personal way to fix this is to hardwire the tone, add a volume for each pickup. Epi's pickups are too dark anyway(like any humbucker) to play clean well,and extra brightness helps with some gain to make an epi sound like a gibson sustain-wise.
And really, all you need is a soldering iron to do that.

If you have, say, a squier stratocaster, then you have two tone knobs. This wiring just baffles me. If you want individual volume and don't wanna have a brightness attack, you're pretty much screwed. But you CAN install on/off/on switches for each individual pickup, in place of your 5-way switch, which can give you GREAT sound contouring.
http://store.guitarfetish.com/wh3supiwikit.html
That will work, cheapest you'll find one.
Please do not insinuate anything sexual from that.

Quote by cobain_is_king
If your friends don't like your guitar, cover it in stickers and it'll be teh rawks!
Quote by mrb0ston
This may be a stupid question, but is there a way to install another volume knob on a guitar, you know, for better sound control?
Yes.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by Iansmitchell

NOW, if you don't have individual volume controls, that's a different issue.
If you have, say, an epiphone les paul special II, you only have a single volume, and a single tone knob, and two pickups. My personal way to fix this is to hardwire the tone, add a volume for each pickup. Epi's pickups are too dark anyway(like any humbucker) to play clean well,and extra brightness helps with some gain to make an epi sound like a gibson sustain-wise.
And really, all you need is a soldering iron to do that.

So, can you post a link with instructions on how to do that? or should I go to a music store?
P.S. Nice guess on the special II!
Quote by mrb0ston
So, can you post a link with instructions on how to do that? or should I go to a music store?
P.S. Nice guess on the special II!

Hmmm, well lemme find a diagram.

Okay. couldn't find one.
Well, your pickups should have two leads.
The volume lead is going to the volume pot, whereas the tone is going to the tone pot.
On your guitar, both your volume leads are on one pot. As are your tone leads.
Desolder the tone leads from the tone pot, and the bridge pickup's volume lead from the volume pot.

Solder the tone leads to the the input jack, bypassing both pots.
Now, take your bridge pickup's volume lead, and wire it to the old tone pot.

You now have individual volume control.
Another side effect of this is your guitar will sound significantly brighter, which can help in cutting through the mix. It's about like having your tone knob at 12 all the time.

Music stores PROBABLY wouldn't easily understand this, if they have the average experience (or lack thereof) of guitar center employees.
Plus, it's an easy enough soldering job, and you get the gratification of knowing you improved your gear yourself.

Well, It's the most common (beginner) setup to have master tone and volume knobs with two pickups. I did the same wiring job on my BC rich bronze series warlock, but the setup is exactly the same. One more thing, epi's stock "pots" aren't the best for either reliability or tone. I'd recommend switching them out when you do this job, getting 500K pots will greatly increase your control and the quality of your sound. The 3-way switch also likes to crap out early on gibson and epiphone guitars, so that's worth replacing. But all this in time, you can do the job with just a soldering iron and really improve the guitar in 30 minutes.
Please do not insinuate anything sexual from that.

Quote by cobain_is_king
If your friends don't like your guitar, cover it in stickers and it'll be teh rawks!
So I was considering this on my Ibanez GAX50. but is there any reason not to drill another hole and add a new pot? I know my way around a power drill.