I'm looking to get my first quality amp, and input from those with good amp knowledge is appreciated.

As you can see in my title, that's a pretty random spread of amps. Versatility is a high priority. I don't need super nasty metal capabilities, but I need something that is pretty high gain on its own that can be pushed into nasty territory w/ pedal if for some reason I start digging that kinda shiz. I prefer a good clean sound over aformentioned nasty gain.

As for my style of music? It varies a lot. I guess I'm an indie rocker who likes the occasional heavy sound?

Mark IV-
Have heard many good things about this one. Is it as versatile as everyone says?

Orange-
I'm looking at the rockerverb 50 combo mostly. It is pretty pricey, but I like what I hear from it. They run at about 2330 us dollars, and I can get a mark IV for 1200, so thats a big stretch.

Bugera 62**/333-
They sound a bit more orientated towards heavier stuff (the only drop c stuff I do is rja 'your guardian angel'... accoustic. ). But that's what the crunch channel is for though, right? I know there is the issue of quality control here, but so long as you don't get a dud the price can't be beat. Plus then I could get a new guitar.

Vox ac30-
British sounding? The Beatles used it, right? I don't know much about this one. Can it get heavy to go along with 'poppy'?

Budget- prefer around 1500 tops

I know there is no substitute for trying them out, but I'm gathering up some opinions on them before I go to stores...we all know how nasty gas is these days.

all insight appreciated and thanks in advance
Last edited by oggiedoggy at Jun 27, 2008,
look for a mesa mark iii. i have one and its amazing. very very versatile. the cleans range from bright and fendery to jazzy to bluesy. the crunch can do anything form breakup to ALMOST lighter metal stuff. the lead channel can do pretty much everything except super nasty heavy stuff like you dont really want to play lol. seriously. i pretty much only use the lead channel and use my guitar volume/pickups to go from jazzy clean to classic crunch to metal. i got the head for 650 off ebay. there are usually a few heads and combos floating around there. however, it migh tnot be for you. just need to play one lol. if you give me some ideas of songs and tones, ill record a little demo for you. theres actually one on my purevolume if you would like to hear it. www.purevolume.com/westlentz
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
From what you described the Mark IV seems to be the way to go.. But put it this way; If the Mark IV and the Orange were the same price I (capital because of personal preference, not grammer) would go the Orange.
thanks. Can't check the purevolume right yet (on dial up here gr). "88" by sum 41 would be good. the intro is crunchy and there is an accoustic part close to the beginning that would be a good test of the clean.

A second one would be "prayer of the refugee" by rise against
An Orange or a Mesa are the best bet for versatility. Depending on what country you live, one (mos likely the Mesa) will be ridiculously more expensive than the other though. A Mesa F-30 would be a good option too..
Quote by oggiedoggy
thanks. Can't check the purevolume right yet (on dial up here gr). "88" by sum 41 would be good. the intro is crunchy and there is an accoustic part close to the beginning that would be a good test of the clean.

A second one would be "prayer of the refugee" by rise against

alright. hopefully i can do that tomorrow. if not, it will be about a week lol. ill do those riffs, and also some indie clean stuff since you said you are an indie rocker.

oh and i think the mark iv would also be a great choice. its like the mark iii, except with separate eq for each channel. its also been upgraded a lot, hence it being a mark iv and the mark iii being discontinued lol. supposedly the mark iii has a slightly more aggressive gain, but i havent tried both so i cant really tell you.
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
To be honest with you i would go the Orange for those sounds. That sai you most likely wont be dissapointed with the Mesa, unless you develop an obsession like me and get really frustrated with very small nuances in amps. Also the Orange has a great poweramp (never crank a mark IV) so if you do decide to get it make sure you are able to really turn that bastard up.
Quote by oggiedoggy
I'm from the us. Orange is based in the UK, correct? and mesa here in the states?

Correct. Have you looked at any of the lower wattage Oranges in the 30 watt range? They are every bit as useable as trhe more powerful ones.
Quote by nirvallica
To be honest with you i would go the Orange for those sounds. That sai you most likely wont be dissapointed with the Mesa, unless you develop an obsession like me and get really frustrated with very small nuances in amps. Also the Orange has a great poweramp (never crank a mark IV) so if you do decide to get it make sure you are able to really turn that bastard up.

Out of interest, what's up with a cranked Mark IV? I though they were meant to sound great, even cranked!?!
Sorry! meant to say i have never CRANKED a Mark IV!! I'm sure it will sound brilliant if you do, i just can't say how brilliant.
Quote by greggybhoy
Correct. Have you looked at any of the lower wattage Oranges in the 30 watt range? They are every bit as useable as trhe more powerful ones.

I have, and I would be happy with those as well. Do those come with reverb though? Speaking of reverb, how is Orange's reverb?

edit: lol durn typos ^
No, i've owned a Rockerverb 50, sold it since i was always using my Orange AD-30 cos i could crank it easier. Keep in mind that i cant stand my AD-30 at low volumes anymore. I have played Numerous Mark IV's and i really liked them but i found them "too versatile".
Thus the label I've heard of being a tweaker's amp i suppose. This purchase could be delayed for while if the Oranges are worth it.

Anyone have any comparisons throwing the Vox ac30 into the mix?
Only played one at a shop and it wont get all that heavy. Pretty nice sounding amp and yes, quite British.
I just played a strat with vintage noiseless pick ups into a rectoverb combo at a music store. Coincidentally I am going to buy a strat with vintage noiseless pick ups and a rectoverb combo soon

Seriously, really good cleans, amazing low gain, good high gains, I was getting good lead tones, all around a great amp. They go for like... 800 used?
Actually, i've heard great things about the Rectoverb, may wanna try it?
Quote by nirvallica
Actually, i've heard great things about the Rectoverb, may wanna try it?

**** dude, I own a triple rec and I'm gonna by a rectoverb. Sounded like god with a strat. Damn I can't stop thinking about how sweet it sounded. I think it'll be sweet to have the option to bring just a 1x12 to band practice or run them in stereo live or record them etc. The thing has nice cleans, leads, and low gain. Check out this clip a guy on another forum did with a single recto http://www.scenerychannel.com/7miles_gtrtone.mp3 the rectoverb was getting close to that tone. I likeyyy ahhhh
pete loeffler from Chevelle uses a Mark IV. you could listen to some of their recordings and live material and see if you like that sound. Youtube any amp you have in question seeing that its kind of hard to describe certain sounds. good luck.
thanks for all suggestions so far. ^agreed. squishy? spongy? wth? but nonetheless I add more to the madness.....

thoughts on a Nomad 45 212 versus a mark IV? the nomad is 800 bucks versus the mark IV 1200.

or how about a lonestar? I know it has good clean/light gain/reverb but just how dirty can it get?

yeah I know I really need to check some audio clips out but I only have dial up access right now
Last edited by oggiedoggy at Jun 27, 2008,
Quote by oggiedoggy
thanks for all suggestions so far. ^agreed. squishy? spongy? wth? but nonetheless I add more to the madness.....

thoughts on a Nomad 45 212 versus a mark IV? the nomad is 800 bucks versus the mark IV 1200.

or how about a lonestar? I know it has good clean/light gain/reverb but just how dirty can it get?

yeah I know I really need to check some audio clips out but I only have dial up access right now

Haven't tried a nomad. Mark IV's are cool, but I don't know if they are necessarily the sound you are going for. And for the record I enjoyed the mesa rectoverb combo much more than the lonestar, in basically every category, although I didn't have a lot of time with the lonestar and I'm sure I could've gotten better sounds out of it if I had spent more time, but damn the rectoverb just sounded great plug in and playing.