i can't seem to not have tension when i play, even when i'm concentrating on it. is there some sort of exercise i can do to reduce it, or just the usual play slow and build up...even though that's not working?

cheers
Quote by B4Dkarma
When you look at a guy and immediately go, "wow, what a douchebag"

that is what girls find attractive.
by saying tension,i suppose the tension in your hands?
if so,just try to play as relaxed and as comfortable as you can..
playing guitar should be a natural comfortable thing.. you need to adjust your hands and fingers to be able to play without being in pain... of course like you said,playing slow makes it easier.. cause playing fast,you dont always know what your fingers are supposed to do,which causes the tension
Quote by pistols
i can't seem to not have tension when i play, even when i'm concentrating on it. is there some sort of exercise i can do to reduce it, or just the usual play slow and build up...even though that's not working?

cheers

First, look at your posture, then play slower.

I mean, 1 note every 4 seconds slow.
and it's in my arms, mostly my right forearm. i tend to bite my lip when i'm playing something difficult too, but that's noticeable enough to stop instantly

cheers
Quote by B4Dkarma

Focus on your breathing sometimes too. Don't hold your breath..
86% of the people who frequent the "Electric Guitar" forum would say that they have played guitar for under 5 years.
dude i have to spend like 40 minutes trying to nail lead parts. if i held my breath i'd die

cheers anyway man
Quote by B4Dkarma