I dont want to spend a huge amount i reckon £400 should be enough, I want to be able to play lots of different things such as metal, rock as well as have a nice clean for blues and jazz so versatility is a must, if that means an amp that can use pedals and multi effects then so be it. I will also be playing at low volumes most of the time as i live in a shared house. I was thinking that the roland jazz chorus would be good becuase on the demo for it (http://youtube.com/watch?v=hRQJgZVxRX0) they seem to think its great with effects and pedals... but i dont know anything about amps so im not sure if thats impressive or not. I mean can any amp use pedals like that? People on here seem to love tube amps so is that the way to go? Also what are the main differences between the jc-120 and the jc-85? is it just the wattage or is it missing anything? thanks
My Beginner setup:
Ibanez rg321mh
Roland Micro cube
http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/77028

Try that, the distortion on it is probably better than most pedals you can buy and it'll be more than enough power for what you need, the cleans I'm unsure of but they should be pretty good.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/77028

Try that, the distortion on it is probably better than most pedals you can buy and it'll be more than enough power for what you need, the cleans I'm unsure of but they should be pretty good.

cheers for a response, il deffo give that a look. Any thoughts on the roland jc? i have seen a jc-85 for quite cheap. And how would the laney vc30 be in terms of versitility and use of effects as i have seen one on ebay for £200
My Beginner setup:
Ibanez rg321mh
Roland Micro cube
If you can find one of these GRAB IT. Mine sounds like a poor man's JC and it has amazing cleans. Takes ME Pedals really nice and the Chorus and Delay built-in are amazing to hear.

Now running an Eleven Rack with Pro Tools 10.3.3 - it's amazing and I'm having ball with it - worth every penny. PT 10 is tops IMO and the Eleven Rack is a work of art!
The Roland JC is a very good amp, some say one of the bests SS amps around. The Laney VC is as well a good amp but we will need some of our Euro UGer's opinions on how it takes pedals. I never tried to run pedals through one but was impressed when I tried the amp.
well i do like the jc on the demo it looks like it can do lots of different sounds, and all of them sound quite clear but it didnt seem to have the same warmth tube amps seem to have, then again i will be playing at low volume and am afraid of tubes breaking.
My Beginner setup:
Ibanez rg321mh
Roland Micro cube
I play on tubes all the time - they don't break very often. Had the same tubes in one of my amps now for 5 years - still sounds great. I don't gig anymore so I play at softer volumes normally UNLESS the wife goes shopping - then LOOKOUT!
Now running an Eleven Rack with Pro Tools 10.3.3 - it's amazing and I'm having ball with it - worth every penny. PT 10 is tops IMO and the Eleven Rack is a work of art!
Quote by strangedogs
I play on tubes all the time - they don't break very often. Had the same tubes in one of my amps now for 5 years - still sounds great. I don't gig anymore so I play at softer volumes normally UNLESS the wife goes shopping - then LOOKOUT!

yeh i live in shared accomodation, is the sound of it still better than a ss even at low volume? Oh and there is a 15w roland dacxd (the one above) on ebay for £45 but i doubt its a huge step up from the micro cube i use at the moment, then again i might be wrong. I basically just want something decent that i can use effects with so that when i get a new guitar at the end of summer it wont sound lame.
My Beginner setup:
Ibanez rg321mh
Roland Micro cube
when I play soft on my tubers I usually use a Korg Toneworks Multi-effects pedal to get some better sound at low volumes. Tube amps sound best CRANKED UP. Your Cube is a great amp for low volumes. The DAC amp is a great amp for CLEANS - then add pedals for everything else. The Chorus, and DELAYS (there's a short delay and a long delay - all customizable too) from my DAC are amazing. Sometimes a SS amp is a beautiful thing to hear. I had a 15XD - then found a 50XD and sold my 15 - basically the same thing just the 50 has a lot more power and a better EQ section too. I can literally BLOW THE WINDOWS OUT at 5 and it stays CRYSTAL CLEAR.

here's 1 of my tube babies: 1963 Ace Tone DUETTO - almost mint - and tone like warm butter (Ace Tone was ROLAND - same guy who started Ace Tone went on to found Roland)

Last edited by strangedogs at Jun 27, 2008,
how come I never see Laney amps here in Florida shops? are they mostly Euro? Would love to test one out but I can't seem to ever find any?
so what would you guys say is the most vesatile and will last me longest out of the laney vc30 and the roland jazz chorus? It doesnt matter if i have to use pedals for certain sounds either as long as they sound good. p.s on another note i saw meat loaf live 2night lol, was really random. Pretty good though he has lost his voice quite a bit though but it was still fun.
My Beginner setup:
Ibanez rg321mh
Roland Micro cube
the thing about the jc is that your given great cleans, but you have to use pedals to get anything else out of it, but it can make most pedals shine.
Quote by Ghold125
the thing about the jc is that your given great cleans, but you have to use pedals to get anything else out of it, but it can make most pedals shine.

yeh so iv heard, and i mean thats a good thing i suppose in terms of versatility, but thats also going to be quite pricey for me i bet buying all those effects, i was interested in getting a boss gt-8 as well though someday so that would probably work well. hmmmm its a tough one the laney seems like a really good amp and looks like it will sound good right out the box but im not sure if a tube is right for me what with being in a shared house and not knowing much about them. the only jc in my price range atm is the jc-85 anyway and im not sure if there are any major differences or not.
My Beginner setup:
Ibanez rg321mh
Roland Micro cube
a tube amp and a small attenuator works too...
Quote by strangedogs
a tube amp and a small attenuator works too...

see im a noob and have no idea what you just said lol, il do a google though
My Beginner setup:
Ibanez rg321mh
Roland Micro cube
Quote by lwayneio
so what would you guys say is the most vesatile and will last me longest out of the laney vc30 and the roland jazz chorus? It doesnt matter if i have to use pedals for certain sounds either as long as they sound good. p.s on another note i saw meat loaf live 2night lol, was really random. Pretty good though he has lost his voice quite a bit though but it was still fun.

I would skip the Roland.

Look for a Line 6 Flextone III, seriously. It's a versatile amp, more so than the VC30. Sounds great.
^yup ill have to second that.
the VC is great buts its not veratile.
also take a look at Bugera 333XL as far as versatility goes i dont think youll find it any where else like this bad boy provides for the money competes with the original and is bettor than the low end marshall tube stuff IMO.
Quote by forsaknazrael
I would skip the Roland.

Look for a Line 6 Flextone III, seriously. It's a versatile amp, more so than the VC30. Sounds great.

okay cool il have a look at it, i think my love of the rolands appearance and the demo of it on youtube has given me a bias opinion on it, i dont know much about amps and efects so i dont want to end up with something crappy. Do all the amps mentioned in this thread work well with pedals and stuff? What does an amp require to use pedals well? and do pedals sound different through each amp? Would the peavey classic be worth a look?
My Beginner setup:
Ibanez rg321mh
Roland Micro cube
Quote by lwayneio
okay cool il have a look at it, i think my love of the rolands appearance and the demo of it on youtube has given me a bias opinion on it, i dont know much about amps and efects so i dont want to end up with something crappy. Do all the amps mentioned in this thread work well with pedals and stuff? What does an amp require to use pedals well? and do pedals sound different through each amp? Would the peavey classic be worth a look?

The Classic 30 is a nice amp with good cleans, but it's a bit expensive over there, for what you're getting.

The Flextone has some effects on there already, and they sound pretty good. They'll be a sufficient guide into effects for you.
And as far as "taking pedals well", there's no requirements, all amps can take pedals. It's a matter of how well the pedal works on them - but to me, that's always been a thing more concerning personal taste.
Quote by forsaknazrael
The Classic 30 is a nice amp with good cleans, but it's a bit expensive over there, for what you're getting.

The Flextone has some effects on there already, and they sound pretty good. They'll be a sufficient guide into effects for you.
And as far as "taking pedals well", there's no requirements, all amps can take pedals. It's a matter of how well the pedal works on them - but to me, that's always been a thing more concerning personal taste.

aw okay so pedals work with all amps, but sound different depending on the amp? Well i have a microcube atm which is doing me okay, i have no real need for lots of volume just when i get money after summer i wanted to know what was worth upgrading to. I will most likely buy 2nd hand as well to save money, il keep my eye open for a cheap flextone on ebay.....okay there is a roland jc-85 for £210, a laney vc30 for £199 and a flextone 3 for £199 thats all buy it now, but there is a flextone 3 currently at £80 and it has 2hrs left. and a flextone 2 for £100 with 7 hrs left. Looks like i would be able to get the flextones for cheaper which is nice. Which one is better though the 2 or 3?
My Beginner setup:
Ibanez rg321mh
Roland Micro cube
I have a flextone 3 and am really impressed with it. I got mine used of ebay and had it for £125 but i think thats the cheapest i've ever seen one go on there. If i was you i'd look into the price the used one goes for, otherwise the new one for £199 is a steal!
Quote by Lukeisonfire
tool and opeth definitly dont play tube amps . You cant get those distorted sounds out of it. tube is for like beatles stuff right?

Quote by evilbeaver22
You're right, just about the only thing better than a Spider 3 is an MG : )

The VC with the right pedal in it would suffice for metal, nothing spectacular, but it would deffinately coer maiden or sabbath and the likes.

For everything else its superb, and it handles my pedals great.
Quote by beckyjc
The VC with the right pedal in it would suffice for metal, nothing spectacular, but it would deffinately coer maiden or sabbath and the likes.

For everything else its superb, and it handles my pedals great.

i definetly think that the laney is good value bring 199 for a tube amp is really good, however im not sure i would need that much power at the moment, and i will mainly be playing quietly so it seems like it would be a total waste.

okay i just checked out the line 6 on some youtube vids and the distortion seems very fuzzy like the amp buzzes when not being played and its hard to make out whats being played over the loud distort if that makes sense, would a boss noise suppressor sort that out?
My Beginner setup:
Ibanez rg321mh
Roland Micro cube
Last edited by lwayneio at Jun 28, 2008,
i have the 30 watt model in my bedroom about 90% of the time. I dont feel its a waste. The Flextone is 75 watt anyway. If you have the money, i wouldnt bother with a modeler, pick up a ncie valve combo and a few pedals.
Last edited by beckyjc at Jun 28, 2008,
try a ceriatone marshall clone. A jcm could get metal, clean, and inbetween though it is a little more than your budget i think. You might need an attenuator too to lower the volume.
ODEN 08 'RISE WITH US'
Quote by beckyjc
i have the 30 watt model in my bedroom about 90% of the time. I dont feel its a waste. The Flextone is 75 watt anyway. If you have the money, i wouldnt bother with a modeler, pick up a ncie valve combo and a few pedals.

yeh i know its 75 watt but i thought tube amps need to be played at high volume to get the true tone? whereas ss pretty much sound the same at any or have i been misinformed
My Beginner setup:
Ibanez rg321mh
Roland Micro cube
Quote by lwayneio
yeh i know its 75 watt but i thought tube amps need to be played at high volume to get the true tone? whereas ss pretty much sound the same at any or have i been misinformed

That's semi-correct.
You need to crank (put the volume up high) valve amps to get the great overdriven sound. This is where the amp sounds it's absolute best, but they still sound great (in many cases, better than SS) at low volumes too.
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Quote by Yngwi3
That's semi-correct.
You need to crank (put the volume up high) valve amps to get the great overdriven sound. This is where the amp sounds it's absolute best, but they still sound great (in many cases, better than SS) at low volumes too.

oh okay so they still sound better at low volume? thats cool then i guess il try and go valve and get a few pedals, i mean at £199 for the laney vc30 112 i might as well i spose, i think i will wait and see if anything nice comes up on ebay, either a 2bd hand roland jazz chorus, laney vc30 or peavey classic 30 is what i reckon i will get and i will figure out pedals afterwards, boss seem to be a safe bet, am i right?
My Beginner setup:
Ibanez rg321mh
Roland Micro cube
Pretty much - It isn't ALWAYS the case, that would just be hyperbolic saying that valve amps are the be all and end all, which they're not.
For pedals you can look at much better ones than Boss - What type of pedals are you thinking of buying?
Quote by Pookie6

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

well i suppose if i was to go for the peavey classic 30 as an example i would likely need a some kind of distortion pedal to play some metal not sure whats good though, perhaps i might get a mulit effect like a boss gt-8 they seem to go quite cheap on ebay (compared to rrp) would a boss noise suppressor be a good idea to help make my playing sound cleaner? ... I dont know a great deal about what i would need though and i only want the bare essentials of what people should have.
My Beginner setup:
Ibanez rg321mh
Roland Micro cube
Well, don't look at BOSS too much. And don't you DARE buy a multi-fx pedal!
For a noise gate, check the ISP Decimator. You won't want a distortion pedal, you'll want an overdrive pedal. I'd recommend the Maxon OD808 or the Digitech Bad Monkey if you're on a budget.
Rest of what you want is up to you really. I'd personally recommend an EQ pedal (MXR 10 band) and a delay pedal (EHX Deluxue Memory Man or MXR Carbon Coby).
Quote by Pookie6

Quote by uk.mace

Quote by Yngwi3
Well, don't look at BOSS too much. And don't you DARE buy a multi-fx pedal!
For a noise gate, check the ISP Decimator. You won't want a distortion pedal, you'll want an overdrive pedal. I'd recommend the Maxon OD808 or the Digitech Bad Monkey if you're on a budget.
Rest of what you want is up to you really. I'd personally recommend an EQ pedal (MXR 10 band) and a delay pedal (EHX Deluxue Memory Man or MXR Carbon Coby).

okay cheers man, what exactly is wrong with a multi effect btw? sorry for being a noob im just trying to learn as much as i can. Also what exactly is the difference betweein overdrive and distortion? And yeh a delay would be cool thats how alot of people get that awesome metal lead sound right?
My Beginner setup:
Ibanez rg321mh
Roland Micro cube