I have a behringer half stack. The head is a GMX1200H and the cab is a BG412S. I mainly bought the amp cuz i needed an amp fast that can produce enough volume without paying too much money. Yeah well i was sceptical about buying it in the first place cuz i've associated behringer with crap before. Anyway i'm not too disappointed with it but i have some major issues. First of all the amp doesnt have as much distortion as i would like it to have. I used to use a digitech rp100a multieffect pedal to get all my sound but when i put it in the effect loop of my head the volume goes way down and the sound is all muddy. I've been playing without any external effects using just whats on the amp and i found that i can hear my lows loud and clear and my highs are hidden behind everthing else even with my bass and mid knobs turned all the way down. Right now i dont have enough money to get a whole new amp so i was wondering if anyone can help me improve my sound?
EQ pedal?
Quote by Martyr's Prayer
I got crap to do, okay? Counter-Strike isn't going to play itself.
i dont wanna buy an eq pedal and find out to have it not work. does it make that much of a difference. i have an old fish n chips danelectro eq pedal layin around but it just sounds like crap in any amp.
i don't have one myself so i'm only guessing here but if you can't hear your high's properly then if you stuck an eq pedal straight after the amp with the highs amplifide it should sort out your problem.

coudln't you jsut take it bac if it doesn't work? ask at the store if it will help?
Quote by Martyr's Prayer
I got crap to do, okay? Counter-Strike isn't going to play itself.
the eq pedal is like two years old from when i bought it used for like thirty bucks so its just something i had laying around. But idk if the cab speakers are the problem cuz i think i actually got the cab with the upgraded jensen speakers but i'm not sure.
well, considering it's a solid state amp, you should have some control over your tone through the onboard EQ. what guitar are you playing through? maybe try experimenting with different channels and speaker sim's?

as for the EQ pedal, if you want something to benefit your sound substantially, you'll wanna spend more than 30 bucks used to give you what you're looking for. try it with your setup, see if you can't pull a little more out of it! boost your mids and trebs a bit, and keep your bass neutral.
------

Shwiggity.
i'm playing through an epiphone sg400. Through any other amp it sounds fine. i love that guitar and i just wanna make it work for the amp.

as for the eq pedal its just something i had laying around. i'm not looking into buying another one. i've tried all these different cab settings already on the head and nothing seems to work.
so, you don't have enough high-end?

hmm..

have you checked the manual for any "hidden" tricks for tone modulation? i know on my guitarist's Line 6 HD147 there's a couple different tricks to make a sweet sound, so maybe you just gotta take a cruise through that?
------

Shwiggity.
yeah i've been messing through all the settings constantly. the amp has a basic setup with three three way switches for gain vintage sound and some other amp sound thing. theres only so much i can do with that. then theres the eq. and it has the basic reverb chorus delay etc effects but i just want a straight up no effects sound.
i'd have to sit with one of these things for half an hour to play around with settings and sounds, to cater to my ear. is it that the high end is undefined, or that it's just a rounded-off sound?
------

Shwiggity.
to be honest i think the high ends arent as loud as the lows. the lows just totally drown out the highs. it makes no sense to me.
try putting an overdrive pedal before it?
or a treble booster?
Usually tightens up the sound!
oh and I think it might be the cab causing most of the bother, thought about a speaker change?
Quote by Entrant_21
try putting an overdrive pedal before it?
or a treble booster?
Usually tightens up the sound!
oh and I think it might be the cab causing most of the bother, thought about a speaker change?

haha. ummm. i actually have the behringer cab to go with it. but it has jensen speakers in it and almost everywhere i've heard from, ppl that run a decent head through it have no problem with it. i actually messed with my switch on the guitar and it helped a little bit. still not a good sound but the highs are a little more defined now.
Quote by NSHSpolevault
i'm playing through an epiphone sg400. Through any other amp it sounds fine. i love that guitar and i just wanna make it work for the amp.

as for the eq pedal its just something i had laying around. i'm not looking into buying another one. i've tried all these different cab settings already on the head and nothing seems to work.

I think it might be your guitar/amp combination.

Epiphone SG's are kind of funny. The SG is kind of
in the middle between a les paul and a strat. Depending on the pickups in it..
it can fall towards the les paul sound. And have a very low end. If you have it on
the low end you may need an amp that does not heavy lows to ballance it out.
Your amp doesnt sound Neutral...and your guitar doesnt either. They both sound
on the low side.

If you play a guitar on an amp with neutral sound it may sound neutral..but if you
have a heavy low end you can play metal with a strats rails and seem fine. My G-400
has emg 81/85 combo on it. On my Peavey Its good for classic rock and metal. On
my marshall i can coax a high end out of it high enough to play strat covers convincingly.

Try a treble booster...a good equalizer should also do the trick. If you want..you
can turn the bass down and jack up an overdrive pedal to 8..and crank up the
tone. That should bring the high end up. You can also look into a compressor..
it may level out your tones..

The compressor can help but i would look to that as a last resort because it can
not only even out your tone overall...but it will manipulate your dynamics of you
tone and some of the results may be unpleasing.

try something other than a Dean..les paul..or SG and tell us how ur amp sounds..

Oh yeah..and theres the obvious..USE both PUPS!! play with the selector switch
in the middle and blend both pups..use a little more bridge than neck..
I cant believe i overlooked that one..lol
I bet Charlie Brown's teacher's name was Mrs.Hammett
Last edited by Washburnd Fretz at Jun 29, 2008,
Are you plugging the guitar into the amp and then into the effects loop? If you don't use your amps onboard distortion then plug your guitar into the pedal and plug the output of the pedal into the fx return. Pedal is the preamp and head is the power amp.
Quote by chikin pickle
Are you plugging the guitar into the amp and then into the effects loop? If you don't use your amps onboard distortion then plug your guitar into the pedal and plug the output of the pedal into the fx return. Pedal is the preamp and head is the power amp.

right now i'm just using the amp distortion but i'll try that.

so the cable goes from the guitar to the pedal to the fx in?
Quote by NSHSpolevault
to be honest i think the high ends arent as loud as the lows. the lows just totally drown out the highs. it makes no sense to me.

my behringer V-Ampire does the samethign, it makes my celestion 75's fart.
I'd say, drop all the bass, and push the rest and get somesort of distortion pedal on the clean channel.
other than that, you're out of luck, i paid 150 for mine as a backup,
and I never had to use it since.
Doowop dooby doo doowop doowah doolang
Blue days black nights doowah doolang!