My guitar teacher was being a dick last night and didn't explain them to me. I have no idea what they are.
Quote by Tubyboulin
Apperently thats called rape Who knew?
1-4-5

Basically if you have the Csus4

C = C D E F G A B C

Cmaj would be 1-3-5 so C E G

Csus4 would be 1-4-5 so C F G

Savvyy?
Last edited by Nielsyboy at Jun 27, 2008,
It's a chord that has a 4th instead of a 3rd, you 'suspend' the third and put in a fourth instead.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
^--Yup. Ya know how major chords contain the 1st, 3rd and 5th? Well Sus4 chords contain the 1st, 4th and 5th. So an Asus4 chord would be A, D and E.
They sound very unresolved, they're very good for adding tension, or for adding a sense of movement to what's effectively a static chord. Pete Townshend is the master of the suspended 4th, Pinball Wizard is a textbook example of how to use them. A few other good ones are....

Crazy Little Thing Called Love - Queen...the first thing you hear is D major chord modulating to a Dsus4
Stairway to Heaven - Led Zeppelin...the triumphant-sounding chords before it drops into the solo are simply climbing from Dsus2 to D major to D sus4
Rock and Roll All Nite - KISS...the intro riff is a D major chord hammering on to a Dsus4.

...come to think of it, Dsus4 seems really popular
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
...come to think of it, Dsus4 seems really popular

And for major key parts too...when everyone knows D is the saddest of all...
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.