what techniques should someone know if they've been playing about a year and a half. What would you teach them??
Different picking styles (alternate, eco e.t.c.), a good knowledge of chord shapes, hammer ons, pull offs, string bends, tuning by ear (or should be half way there)...
It varies by style really, I didn't know many techniques at that stage (except for HO's and PO's) but that suited my style of playing not having so much technical information.
You could also try some nice squealies or harmonics, its fun and gives alot more options to your play style! or some faster and diffrent palm mute rythmes like trojans and stuff!
what if said person already knew all that? what would come next? Also, what's trojans; is it a band?
There's no list of techniques you should know and there's no criteria for what you should be able to do, the question is: what music do you want to play and what do you need to do to get there? Anything else is completely needless.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
There's no list of techniques you should know and there's no criteria for what you should be able to do, the question is: what music do you want to play and what do you need to do to get there? Anything else is completely needless.

yeah that's true, but I just like learning new stuff. I was looking thru the lessons on here, but there are a lot of them and they're not all that easy to look thru
I've been playing for one and a half years and I know the following

Alternate Picking
Economy Picking
Hybrid Picking
Natural Harmonics
Artificial harmonics
Dive-Bomb
Speed Picking
Fretted note with tapped harmonic
Tapping
Vibrato
Sweep Picking
String Skipping
Staccato Runs
Legato Runs
Right hand damping
Left hand damping
Syncopated rhythms

Probably more, but I can't think of the names for them.
Quote by XianXiuHong
I've been playing for one and a half years and I know the following

Alternate Picking
Economy Picking
Hybrid Picking
Natural Harmonics
Artificial harmonics
Dive-Bomb
Speed Picking
Fretted note with tapped harmonic
Tapping
Vibrato
Sweep Picking
String Skipping
Staccato Runs
Legato Runs
Right hand damping
Left hand damping
Syncopated rhythms

Probably more, but I can't think of the names for them.

I've been playing probably a little over a year and I can do the alternate and economy picking. I do a lot of two hand tapping and I know a lot about harmonics and some fingerstyle guitar. I've got p.m. and vibrato too, plus bending and all of that stuff that's so elementary you don't even think about it. I know some theory type stuff too. I'm just not sure what to go on to
Quote by emily92
I've been playing probably a little over a year and I can do the alternate and economy picking. I do a lot of two hand tapping and I know a lot about harmonics and some fingerstyle guitar. I've got p.m. and vibrato too, plus bending and all of that stuff that's so elementary you don't even think about it. I know some theory type stuff too. I'm just not sure what to go on to

Well if you know all of that then I have two things: firstly you should make sure that your basics are up to scratch and secondly you should improve your skills, you already know of or can do basically all the skills you will ever need so you should just expand on what you already know; find applications for what you've learned whether that be other people's songs or your own.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.