Page 1 of 2
So yeah, it's basically a thread where you just say what's the most overpriced ( or underpriced ) guitar equipment you ever owned ( or just saw ).

As many of you know, everything is vastly overpriced here in Europe ( and especially here in my country ). Sometimes prices go up to about 2 times more than the list price.
For example a new Fender Highway One Stratocaster here costs about 1479 USD. And thats just the tip of the iceberg...

So share your experiences UG.
The most overpriced guitars that I've had experience with are Paul Reed Smith. I play them and it's like, "meh, I'll pay $3k on a nice custom shop Fender, this is totally not worth it". The most underpriced guitars ever are the Agiles on rondomusic.com.
Epiphone Dot
DIY Esquire w/Neovin Power Rock pickup
Vox AC30VR 212
Arion MTE-1 (LED clipping diodes added)
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
By high-gain I don't mean stupid stuff. I just mean styles like Motley Crue or Iron Maiden
Gibson LP are ridiculously overpriced, a friend of mine built one on his own with the exact same wood, pickups, etc. and it only cost $800 and sounds just as good as a real LP.
Quote by pwrmax
Gibson LP

Here we go again.
Epiphone Dot
Vox AC30VR 212
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
By high-gain I don't mean stupid stuff. I just mean styles like Motley Crue or Iron Maiden
i once saw a Martin (i think it was a Martin, dont really remember) with a handpainted fretboard on musicians friend for around $80,000. i mean come on.
Quote by MortifiedLizard
Here we go again.

I personally think PRS guitars are worth every penny.

Oh noes, another opinion!
Quote by Retro Rocker
I personally think PRS guitars are worth every penny.

Oh noes, another opinion!

Touche. If only everyone thought the same way.
Epiphone Dot
Vox AC30VR 212
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
Any single effect that costs more than $150 that you use very minimal is overpriced. Like the the Digitech Whammy or those Damage Control pedals.
the frankenstein replica
Gear
Ibanez RG2EX2
Epiphone Les Paul
Fender Strat
Homemade EVH
Marshall JCM 800 Combo

Quote by freshtunes
its not so much that i feel guilty about masturbating, its the things that i masturbate to that make me feel guilty.
the most expensive guitar I picked up would be a Epiphone Quilt Top Les Paul... for 450.. haha.. I get paranoid picking up expensive guitars.. people give me a funny look or something..
Vox Valvetronix AD15VT
Line 6 Spider III 15W
Peavey Generation EXP Single Coils
1997 Epiphone SG Junior
2007 Ibanez RG120
I think the idea of spending double the price to get double the benefit never works in life

Anyway, overpriced would just be a lot of signature models, and theres a lot of them
Gibson 58 RI VOS Custombuckers
Mesa Lonestar Special 2x12
Quote by MortifiedLizard
Touche. If only everyone thought the same way.

I haven't actually played any PRS's yet, I just wanted to see what you said
They do look pretty though.

I suppose MESA.Boogie amps are a bit overpriced, despite the fact that I plan on buying a Road King at some point. 3k for the head alone? Feck me.
Quote by MortifiedLizard
Here we go again.

Don't get me wrong, they're great but I just don't think that they're worth $2000 for a standard LP. A standard Strat is only $1000 and it's just as good as the LPs.
Quote by Retro Rocker

I suppose MESA.Boogie amps are a bit overpriced, despite the fact that I plan on buying a Road King at some point. 3k for the head alone? Feck me.

lol, I always cry whenever I see a Mesa Boogie amp, because I know I'll likely not ever own one since they cost so darn much. But the tone is definitely worth every penny!
Epiphone Dot
Vox AC30VR 212
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
Quote by pwrmax
Don't get me wrong, they're great but I just don't think that they're worth $2000 for a standard LP. A standard Strat is only $1000 and it's just as good as the LPs.

Thats all opinion, so your welcome to it
Gibson 58 RI VOS Custombuckers
Mesa Lonestar Special 2x12
Les Pauls are overpriced, but there's almost nothing that can replicate a good Gibson.

As far as popular brands go, I think Schecter is fairly cheap.
But Agiles are reallly cheap.
And Carvin is the best bang for buck you'll find anywhere.
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
Most underpriced amp!!!! Epiphone electar tube 30, all tube ,great tone, only foul is the SS drive , but it`s completely worth $265, great clean tone what a shame they don`t make them anymore...
Rig:
MIM Fender Strat

Vox V847A Wah
Dunlop JH-F1 Fuzz Face
Boss DS-1
Ibanez Tube Screamer TS9 x2!!!
Boss Passive A/B Box
Boss BF-3 Flanger
Boss Volume Pedal

Marshall 4203 Artist 30Watt Tube
Epiphone Electar Tube 30
Quote by Bertallica
Any single effect that costs more than $150 that you use very minimal is overpriced. Like the the Digitech Whammy or those Damage Control pedals.

I use my whammy constantly. It was well worth the $370~ I payed for it. Even when not using the effects, I use it to split my signal and bi-amp. So POO.

The Valve Junior is defiantly a great value.
Carvin guitars= extremely underpriced.

I was in San Diego last week and decided to take a trip to the factory where they are made. They had a showroom with a bunch of different models, but unfortunately I couldnt hook one up to the amps they had there. But just the feel of the guitar was amazing. Probably one of the best feeling guitars I have ever played, barring a $2500 Custom PRS.
IMHO ESP guitars are overpriced - and most overpriced are signature models like Hetfield's Truckster compared to LTDs http://www.espguitars.com/guitars_james.html - what? Hundereds of $$$ for maple top & bone nut (only difference between ESP and LTD models).

2# - Ibanez because most of expensive, "Prestige" models have cheap, DiMarzio/IBZ pickups! It's funny that you buy guitar for 800+ and get stock pickups! Most of guitar companies in this price range give real DiMarizos/EMGs/SD! And the Giger's S series - 3000$+ guitar made in Korea! FAILURE!!!

3# - Gibsons, PRS, Fenders - because most of their "standard" models starts from veeery overpriced level, and "custom shop" prices are sky-high! (mostly - without reason like "aged" Gibsons with minor changes compared to Standard model). Signatures? FORGET ABOUT IT! Most prices start at 4000$!!!
Last edited by incockgnito at Jun 27, 2008,
Hm. Some guitars around are just overpriced a lot around here, there's an SRV replica for 17000 at Guitar Center. At Huber and Breese there's a custom done SG double neck copy with a ton of inlay work for 34000. That place has the most cool stuff there. They have a bunch of Gibson Map guitars with custom paint jobs, a Gibson Playboy guitar, Gibson Zippo guitar... just a whole bunch of Gibsons I've never seen before.
Oh, almost forgot to mention. eBay has overpriced stuff. I've been trying to get a junk Gibson for a while, and of course they go for $200-600 bucks for something that has been hacked up, broken and not repaired right, etc. Heck, I've seen plenty of SG faded bodies go for about as much as the whole guitar new.
I wish Orange amps were cheaper. I think that's about it.
Quote by PhoenixFear

I wish Orange amps were cheaper.

+1
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
-SD "Pearly Gates" bridge pickup
-50's style wiring
Digitech RP150
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Electro-Harmonix LPB-1 Linear Power Booster
Peavey Windsor Studio

= My amp on crack
I'd have to give top billing to Fender "Custom Shop" and "Masterbuilt" guitars
as most over priced.

Don't get me wrong, I love Strats (I have two and one is a masterbuilt), but let's
face it, these guitars were DESIGNED for mass-production. What they charge for
a "custom" no-frills, mass produced guitar is insane. To make matters worse,
Fender seems extra-fond of fake relic'ing to jack the price up even more. Is that
the best they can think of to "improve" the guitar? If I want to drop a lot of money
on a brand new guitar, I personally want it to look brand ef'ing new!
Quote by Wonthefu
I use my whammy constantly. It was well worth the $370~ I payed for it. Even when not using the effects, I use it to split my signal and bi-amp. So POO.

$370 usd? If so you got poked!! It's only $200 usd and that's list price.

You could easily use a y-jack or an a/b/y box to split your signal. Plus if you did use the Whammy to split your signal isn't only one wet and the other always dry?
a Billie Joe Gibson LP Jr......Only got a single H-90 Pickup (its basically a p90 with more output)

$1400
Ughhh :P
Quote by pwrmax

is it really ?

i don't know, is an apple better than an orange ? the apple does cost more, but i do really like it. but i love oranges too. hmm... what's best ? so hard to compare...

Quote by pwrmax

TBH you sound really biased here man.. a strat and LP are pretty much completely different guitars.
Any Dean with Dime's name on it is overpriced. Dean's milking Dime's name for all it's worth and it's sickening. Especially referencing the horrible Dime-Buckers that come stock with all of them.
I like LPs but i LOVE strats

LPs are overpriced and Fender masterbuilt over ridiculously overpriced as well xD
/CENTER]
Overpriced: Gibson LP's, ESP's, Fender's
Underpriced: Washburn's, Schecters, some Ibanez's
Duh, Gibson sells its name because its got that boring "ZOMG-AMAZIN-TONE-LIEK-WOOT".
They take a LP STD and put the name Slash on it and charge an extra 1000$ for it.
Quote by Brunnis Jetrel, Eve-Search Forums
oh the good old days of launching strawberries at point blank range into people's faces with a ballista... brings back mammaries

Quote by SkyValley
Kick your OWN ass before he has a chance to get to it.

Clicky --->
Quote by Bertallica
$370 usd? If so you got poked!! It's only $200 usd and that's list price.

You could easily use a y-jack or an a/b/y box to split your signal. Plus if you did use the Whammy to split your signal isn't only one wet and the other always dry?

No, CAD. And it was actually $329.46 I paid, checking the receipt.
Yeah one's clean, that's the point. I use it to maintain a good strong low end with my bass when using effects.

I'm not no dummy boy, I know what I want out of my gear!
Quote by RoamingConflict
So yeah, it's basically a thread where you just say what's the most overpriced ( or underpriced ) guitar equipment you ever owned ( or just saw ).

As many of you know, everything is vastly overpriced here in Europe ( and especially here in my country ). Sometimes prices go up to about 2 times more than the list price.
For example a new Fender Highway One Stratocaster here costs about 1479 USD. And thats just the tip of the iceberg...

So share your experiences UG.

Well, you might say everything is overpriced in europe but when i browse musiciansfriend.com i type the prices into a currency converter and double it then add a bit more then you got australian prices.
GEAR
Legend LP
Nylon Acoustic
Legend 10D Amp
Korg AX3G

flickr
Quote by Retro Rocker

Mesa Boogie's are one of the cheapest high quality, hand built amplifiers on the market. You can get them at great used prices as well.

If you want expensive amp's that can't hold their own weight, look at Marshall. Their price/features,tone,quality in the US is horrible.

As for underpriced...Splawn and Mako both produce some extremely high quality amplifiers for dirt cheap. Less than $2000 an amp for a rather small company that has a 2+ month waiting list without jacking the price off is definately
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Last edited by MESAexplorer at Jun 29, 2008,
I have taken apart a standard Pettruci Music Man and Morse and found nothing that exciting inside them at all. The necks are nice and the electronics are good, but for the most part electronics are based on opinion. Then I played a Highway One Fat Strat and found almost no difference at all.

As for the best deals, probably LTD. I have had like 6 of them and I believe they have the best sound and quality for the price. Amps, probably Traynor. They sound like they should be a couple grand, but I got mine used for $500.
Quote by LuthierofTexas
You have no experience with racks??? What kind of guy are you?
Open up a Fender amp and see the cheap parts they use, on printed mass produced circuit boards, with tone killing circuits, and they still have the stones to charge $1100 for a Fender Twin? Marshall too for that matter. Vox makes their amps in China now but charge Made in the UK prices.. please. For guitars, anything that has a signature on it or is "custom shop" is overpriced and not worth it. Every hollowbody guitar made of plywood that is over $500 is overpriced. Any guitar made of basswood over a grand is overpriced.

Underpriced? Not much. Peavey Valveking, the PRS SE guitars, Seagull guitars, are all good values, not sure they are underpriced though but I'd pay a bit more for each.
Quote by MESAexplorer
Mesa Boogie's are one of the cheapest high quality, hand built amplifiers on the market. You can get them at great used prices as well.

If you want expensive amp's that can't hold their own weight, look at Marshall. Their price/features,tone,quality in the US is horrible.

As for underpriced...Splawn and Mako both produce some extremely high quality amplifiers for dirt cheap. Less than $2000 an amp for a rather small company that has a 2+ month waiting list without jacking the price off is definately

You should see how expensive they are in the UK. A new RK is about £3000. When you consider the prices of Cornford's and whatnot it looks very overpriced
Last edited by Horlicks at Jun 29, 2008,
Page 1 of 2