I haven't seen this discussed before, if it has its probably buried in some long thread, any my apologies if it has.

I know when going to buy an amp you should test it out. Thats all well and good but what do you play when you are just a beginner? I know a couple of partial songs but they are basically the same power chords just in a different order. I could do some open chord progressions to test cleans, but are there any other suggestions?

What is the best way to test all the amps features?

When I bought my first amp, I went to the guys house, it turned on, played a few chords and it sounded ok so I took it. A few days after when I was trying to dial in my EQ I found out that the speaker had a bad voice coil and was rubbing on the bass notes. So that was something I had to fix. Next time I know to check for that, but what other gotchas might there be? Anything specific to just tube (besides making sure the tubes glow) or SS amps?

BTW, my current amp is a Peavey Special 120w (SS). It's plenty loud (I've never gone over 2 on the master volume with it!) and sounds decent. I did stick an OD pedal in front of it and that helped color the lead channel even better and for the cleans I have an a separate eq pedal for that since it's only a single eq on the amp. For my next amp I definitely want a tube. Probably something along the lines of a 5150 but I'm sure there are other amps out there than can get me the same/similar tones as well.
Try playing power chords, normal chords, and scales. Should be fairly easy, and give you a good idea of the sound.
Quote by saltysnail
Try playing power chords, normal chords, and scales. Should be fairly easy, and give you a good idea of the sound.

So just my normal practice routine huh?
Quote by snowjay
So just my normal practice routine huh?

It's not about normal practice routine. It's about pushing the amp to see what it can do and where it fails.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD