Ok mods, Im sure y'all will probably say that this is just me trying to start some sh*t or that this belongs in the political thread, but after bashing of my avatar and what it stands for, I feel that it needs to be addressed in its own seperate thread.

OK, people say that the Confederate flag stands for slavery, or idiocy, or that even the only people who fly them are imbred backwoods rednecks. Now, I will admit that there are some people who fly it out of utter stupidity not knowing its true meaning. And everyone has their own interpretations of the meaning of what the flag stands for. But after unwarranted attacks on me personally for me displaying the flag as my avatar, I will share now my opinions of what the flag stands for.

I believe that the flag is a sign of Southern pride and heritage. Being Southern is not only a priveledge but its also a mind set. Not one of thinking that you are in anyway better then someone else, but of strong rooted pride in God, your country and family. Now, people from the North or who just generally arent Southerners dont understand why we fly it. They think the flag should be taken down and burned. Well thats fine, thats your opinion. But just because you dont chose to fly the Union flag anymore dont take it out on us. The flag is a sign of the Confederate States of America, now Im proud of that fact given that my great great great grandfather was a Confederate General. I fly it out of pride for what he did, and for a belief in a greater country that was believed in by my lineage of Souther American patriots.
That's cool, I agree with you; it seems like a case of a loudmothed and violent minority dominating the rational majority. Therefore you are now not allowed to criticise m if I fly the Union Jack with pride, saying that I'm an imperialistic tyrant who wants to enslave the world. I do want to do that - but in a nice way.
Quote by DrewsGotTheLife
yea man, who ever doesnt like pantera or think they suck doesnt like metal, end of discussion, they changed the freakin world n made history, so don't be sayin they suck, have respect, same goes for machine head n lamb of god cuz their good too
There's no reason to be offended by it. Anyone who feels offended by it needs to get over themselves.
Quote by mrwaffles
Me being African, I still say that it's offensive. It doesn't matter what you say it stands for, we all know it has a hell of a lot to do with slavery.

What country from Africa were you born in?
My God, it's full of stars!
Quote by mrwaffles
Me being African, I still say that it's offensive. It doesn't matter what you say it stands for, we all know it has a hell of a lot to do with slavery.

exactly. the south has a pretty awful history of hate and violence, and that flag represents that and the positive. that's what a lot of people will see; the negative because it gets more attention then the positive.
Quote by LuthierofTexas

But just because you dont chose to fly the Union flag anymore dont take it out on us. .

Sorry, but I just had to laugh.
PPPPPPPOSTFINDER
It's still a war that was more or less fought over slavery, I fail to see how that's anything to be proud of.
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
Quote by freddaahh
That's cool, I agree with you; it seems like a case of a loudmothed and violent minority dominating the rational majority. Therefore you are now not allowed to criticise m if I fly the Union Jack with pride, saying that I'm an imperialistic tyrant who wants to enslave the world. I do want to do that - but in a nice way.

+1

I hate this crap when immigrants find St George's Cross offensive...

WTF is that about?

[/rant]
Quote by mrwaffles

+1,000,000

TS just made it worse for himself

GIT R DONE!

I Just had to do it
██████████████████████████████
Quote by LuthierofTexas
Confederate flag stands for slavery, or idiocy

Quote by LuthierofTexas
the flag is a sign of Southern pride and heritage

Pretty much both true, Southerners are proud to be idiots
you have to understand that the union jack came about to represent the south seceding from the union. thus it's a symbol of segregation.

however,
nowadays, it doesn't really mean that, and is seen more as a 'southern culture/pride' thing, and nobody has the right to tell you that you can't fly it, but it still has that very prominent history.
Closed because this going to be full of nothing but idiocy, arrogance, ignorance, and people who think they know what they're talking but actually do not. IE, guy two posts above me.
My God, it's full of stars!