Page 1 of 3
The Marshall MG100HDFX half stack is the amp that I am currently looking forward to buying. I heard from Guitarcenter.com and other reliable sources that this marshall is a great powerful amp that produces a heavy distortion and a deep clean. I also listened to videos from guitar websites and youtube, and love how it sounds. To me it looks like a great metal amp, and a good, cheap half stack by marshall, which is a reliable brand, considering they are the leading amp brand and is the most used amp to professionals. But when I tell the UGers on this website that I am going to buy it, all of a sudden I get all of this feedback that it is a horrible amp, and is not worth it, and they tell me not to get it. So, is it a good metal amp for a great price, or is it a piece of sh*t? You tell me. And please explain as best you can.

Thank you.
Its, err, worse than your current amp.
A metal band?
Gear:
A Guitar with an LFR > Korg Pitchblack > Behringer EQ > Hardwire CM-2 Overdrive Boss SD-1 > Hardwire CR-7 Chorus>
Orange Tiny Terror >
LzR Engineering 212 cab

My other amp can run Crysis
yes vox head would be better, or an alltube head
My Gear:
Jay Turser Warlock
Baraccuda Strat
Takamine EG523SC
Samick Acoustic
Vox AD50VT
Boss DS-1
Boss CS-3
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
It's a piece of shit.

It's really buzzy on the distortion channel. The cleans are barely passable. And it's built like it's made of cardboard.

Don't get it.
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
Quote by jambi_mantra
It's a piece of shit.

It's really buzzy on the distortion channel. The cleans are barely passable. And it's built like it's made of cardboard.

Don't get it.
This.

I hated my MG
"Make my funk the P-Funk, I want my funk uncut"
Quote by jambi_mantra
James, are you God?

Fender Highway One Tele
1985 Encore 335
Takamine EG523sc
Laney VC15
Vox V847
MXR M-108
EHX Q-Tron+, Big Muff Pi, POG
MI Audio Crunch Box
Yamaha DTXplorer DrumKit
1.) It's horrible. I own one. It broke. I COULD have paid £20 to get it fixed. Instead I spent £1000 on a decent amp.
2.) The cleans are dead and dull, the distortion is weak, hollow and there's a lot of feedback
3.) You don't need a halfstack, get a Randall RG30 or 50 tube combo, it'll sound better and be loud enough for anything
ohai little sig.
How is it that everyone on UG hates Marshall and everyone else loves them. And isn't vox for classic rock or blues? I'm looking for Metal.
Not everyone on UG hates Marshall most just hate the MG
"Make my funk the P-Funk, I want my funk uncut"
Quote by jambi_mantra
James, are you God?

Fender Highway One Tele
1985 Encore 335
Takamine EG523sc
Laney VC15
Vox V847
MXR M-108
EHX Q-Tron+, Big Muff Pi, POG
MI Audio Crunch Box
Yamaha DTXplorer DrumKit
Quote by jxljxl
Not everyone on UG hates Marshall most just hate the MG

Why, and how come everyone else LOVES them?
It's not that UG hates Marshalls. It's just that we hate the MG.

EDIT: Everybody else loves them because they're paid to say what a great amp it is. Don't trust a salesperson at GuitarCenter. They just want to sell as much stuff as they can. Go try one out. Trust me, if you have an ear for tone, you won't like it much. There is much better stuff you can get for that price, like a good tube combo.
Peavey HP Signature EXP (SH4 JB/ SH2 Jazz)
Jackson DK2M
Fender MIM Stratocaster HSS
Fender MiM Telecaster

EVH 5150 III w/ EVH 2x12 cab
Peavey Vypyr Tube 60
Fender Blues Jr.

Boss ME-50; NS-2; RV-5; BF-3
MXR M101 Phase 90
Real Marshalls are made in their UK factory in Milton Keynes. MGs were originally produced by a smaller company and Marshall bought the line and slapped a Marshall badge on them. They are made in India
ohai little sig.
O ok, so whats a good marshall that I could buy that would give a nice metal tone?
rule #1 - never buy an MG halfstack. EVER.

Quote by you
to me it looks like a great metal amp, and a good, cheap half stack by marshall, which is a reliable brand, considering they are the leading amp brand and is the most used amp to professionals.

this is exactly where marshall gets kids to buy this and fall into their trap.

it is not a good cheap halfstack at all.

it is a very unreliable amp. so unreliable and cheap that if you send it back for repairs, they're likely to throw it out and give you a new one (which will probably break and you'll repeat the process).

the pros do not use MG's because they suck. okay fine, static x uses them. and their tone sucks too.

please, just don't buy it.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-ValveKing-112-Combo-Amp?sku=481442
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-ValveKing-212-Combo-Amp?sku=481443
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/B52-60Watt-1x12-Tube-Combo?sku=480046
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Randall-RG50TC-50W-1x12-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=481197

or a used 5150/6505, or a bugera of some sort.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by pbuddyjman
O ok, so whats a good marshall that I could buy that would give a nice metal tone?

JCM2000
Which is expensive
Repeats:
Remember, you do not need a halfstack
And you don't have to buy a Marshall
ohai little sig.
Quote by pbuddyjman

By "everyone else" who are you reffering to? Of course GC is gonna love the MG, they're making money of it.
Quote by pedaler466
Shreadhead22 had nothing helpful to say to me. He just immediatly started being a prick.

Quote by Yngwi3
Shredhead's advice is the best in the thread.

-Mesa Roadster
-Mesa 4x12
-'93 Gibby LP studio
-535q
-CE5/DD-220
-TS9dx
-EB volume
-Shure Wireless
Quote by UnsignedRecords
rule #1 - never buy an MG halfstack. EVER.

this is exactly where marshall gets kids to buy this and fall into their trap.

it is not a good cheap halfstack at all.

it is a very unreliable amp. so unreliable and cheap that if you send it back for repairs, they're likely to throw it out and give you a new one (which will probably break and you'll repeat the process).

the pros do not use MG's because they suck. okay fine, static x uses them. and their tone sucks too.

please, just don't buy it.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-ValveKing-112-Combo-Amp?sku=481442
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-ValveKing-212-Combo-Amp?sku=481443
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/B52-60Watt-1x12-Tube-Combo?sku=480046
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Randall-RG50TC-50W-1x12-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=481197

or a used 5150/6505, or a bugera of some sort.

I see, so its not Marshall everyone hates, its just the cheap MGs that Marshall produces for cheap so everybody buys them?
Peavey Windsor is a good stand in if your looking for marshall tone... I personally prefer a darker modern tone so if your in to that then get a 5150 combo.
Last edited by IbanezPsycho at Jun 27, 2008,
Quote by pbuddyjman
I see, so its not Marshall everyone hates, its just the cheap MGs that Marshall produces for cheap so everybody buys them?

exactly. apparently the amp wasn't designed by marshall anyways. they just bought the design from another amp maker and slapped their logo on it.

check out those amps i listed as well.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
randall 50tc, peavey valveking 1x12, and the b-52 at112 are all pretty good basic tube amps, except i hate the valveking, but i put it in there anyways.
Quote by pbuddyjman

Exactly and then beginners fall into their trap. For the money you could easily find a used 6505/5150 combo (which is considered to be one of the greatest metal amps) and still have a bit of money left (maybe up to $150 I've seen them go for $450 lately on eBay) for maybe a chorus pedal and an EQ to make the cleans good and be able to EQ exactly how you like it. And the 60W tube is more than enough for most venues except 15,000+ stadiums.
I was reading one of the reviews for the amp on GC's website...

I was looking at Mesa Boogies and Marshall amps at guitar center, played this and FELL IN LOVE

W....T....F...?
Hey TS, put it this way:

I love Marshall amps. I've owned several in my life. I don't actually have one now because I needed a strong amp and didn't have the funds for a Marshall; hence why I bought a Traynor, but the MG is a piece of garbage. It's built like sh*t. It has an overall weaker distortion channel, and I dunno where you got that idea about cleans, but I've heard better cleans come out of almost every amp I've owned or simply played on. It's got these weak built in effects that sound poor and suck the tiny amount of life out of the distortion channel as is.

The MG was designed to be a cheap practice amp focusing purely on giving a sound for people to learn and practice with. It never should have got bigger than 30 watt combos. Steer very clear of this amp. Unfortunately these days with Marshall, it's go big or go home. Their lower end stuff just is not worth the money.
20+ posts in 5 minutes and they all say the same thing.
the MG is not bad, but there are far more better amps in that price range. imo, they're good for practice but a big piece of crap for gigs.
Ibanez RG321MH (Air Classic/Tone Zone)
Fernandes Telecaster (Twang King/stock bridge pickup)
Blackstar HT-20 (Scumback 55 speaker/ Tung Sol tubes)
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Lava Cables Clear Connect, Soar and Mini ELC
Quote by pbuddyjman
Well I've been searching around, and this is what I found. A randall. It looks pretty good to me
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Randall-G3-Plus-Series-RG200G3PLUS-2x12-Guitar-Combo-Amp-481689-i1395709.gc

My other guitarist in the band has one and it's pretty good but you could do so much better for the price imo, stop looking at SS (for the most part) and look at tube and the used markey. If you've got about $700 you could find a good used combo that you'll be happy with for ages.
Quote by maggot2011
My other guitarist in the band has one and it's pretty good but you could do so much better for the price imo, stop looking at SS (for the most part) and look at tube and the used markey. If you've got about $700 you could find a good used combo that you'll be happy with for ages.

Well what are some reliable brands for metal?
So basically you have $600 and want metal?

Look at some of the Randall 30 watt tube combos. Also the peavey Valveking, I personally don't like it, but it's better than nothing.
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
$600 and you want metal?
used 5150 combo
Guitar:
Schecter Omen 6 (Dimarzio X2N & Tone Zone)
Amps:
Engl Fireball
Genz Benz G-Flex 2x12 Cab

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
try out some of the tube combos that have been suggested 100's of times.
B-52, the poor man's Mesa Boogie amp brand (many metal master pro guitarists use Mesa...).
Epiphone Dot
DIY Esquire w/Neovin Power Rock pickup
Vox AC30VR 212
Arion MTE-1 (LED clipping diodes added)
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
By high-gain I don't mean stupid stuff. I just mean styles like Motley Crue or Iron Maiden
Quote by pbuddyjman

because their tone deaf
Peavey XXX combo *upgraded screen resistors, Tung-Sol's, and 6L6's*
Schecter Syn Std. * modded, scalloped, and worn*
Schecter C-1 Elite *still sexy*
Ibanez AEL 12-string

"He who sticks his dick in peanut butter is fucking nuts"
Quote by pbuddyjman

Don't look exclusively to Marshall!

Having on the front of the amp does not make it any better, or cooler, than other amps in it's pricerange.

You can buy some GREAT amps for that money, look in particular at the links that UnsignedRecords posted.
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Page 1 of 3