Can a band with 3 guitarists, a bass, drums, and maybe vocals by one of the guitars work. Maybe like one's rhythm, harmony solo, vice-versa. Any ideas, thoughts, or songs that can be utilized by this kind of set up.
If I'm not mistake, foo fighters live also have 3, as do the eagles, many bands often bring a third supporting guitarist to help out.
You're 13... don't take it the wrong way, but just have fun.
I've seen a local band with 3 guitarists. One was rhythm the second was rhythm harmony and the third just shredded over everything. Then when their last song was about to be played the shredder broke out a violin and started shredding on that.
really, most bands with 2 guitarists record 3 guitars. 2 rhythm and overdub a lead. so you could play some GNR, get one person to do slash's rhythm, another to do izzy / gilby's rhythm, and the third to do izzy / gilby's rhythm AND slash's leads...

or, for some songs, one of the guitarists could play keyboards, or harmonica or something.

it could easily work, you just dont see it too often. peace.
it can surely work. Lot's of nice stuff is possible with three guitars. 4 would be kinda overkillt though.
Ibanez s540 with gold Schaller bridge and OMGGOLD hardware

Ibanez RGR320 with Lo-Edge Pro bridge and scalloped fretboard

Lee Jackson XLSC - 500

Roland Microcube

Dunlop Jazz III black
It's possible, My band is like that.
The gear.
Schecter S1 Diamond series.
ESP NV.
Randall G3 200W
Dunlop cry-baby wah (finally)
Line 6 spider III 15x (Small but deadly)
Quote by mzhang13
Can a band with 3 guitarists, a bass, drums, and maybe vocals by one of the guitars work. Maybe like one's rhythm, harmony solo, vice-versa. Any ideas, thoughts, or songs that can be utilized by this kind of set up.

I can't see why it wouldn't. The band I'm in has three guitarist, two basses, a keyboard, a dummer and a FES singer.

De Lobo Y Hombre

Dean Dave Mustaine V VMNTX * Epiphone SG Special
Digitech RP250 * Boss MT-2
Fender FM 25 DSP Frontman * Epiphone 10w Practice Amp

So, any suggestions for songs like this, preferably instrumentals or popular rock/metal songs that doesn't have too much vocals or switches riffs/themes a lot. Maybe harmony solos (Not DragonForce speed) and harmony rhythms/riffs. The easier the better because this is new to me and may be hard to get the hang of.
Yes it would sound pretty good as long as there aren't 3 or 2 guitarists playing lead :P.
Referring to Victor Wooten
Quote by Nutter_101
"Wa wa wa English is my first language, music is my second blah blah blah wank wank wank I rule, love me suck my dick."

That's all I heard in that entire interview.

My Band:
http://www.myspace.com/closedfortonight
Check out Canadian band April Wine, especially their 'Harder...Faster' album.

What you are intending isn't hard, it's just like a standard two guitar setup but with an extra guitar. That extra guitar can either harmonise, emphasize or simply add depth of sound.
Quote by mzhang13
So, any suggestions for songs like this, preferably instrumentals or popular rock/metal songs that doesn't have too much vocals or switches riffs/themes a lot. Maybe harmony solos (Not DragonForce speed) and harmony rhythms/riffs. The easier the better because this is new to me and may be hard to get the hang of.

Seriously, somewhere around 90% of Iron Maiden songs are recorded as if they have 3 guitars (which made having 3 guitars live actually even better), but even more to the point, most hard rock/ metal songs have at least 3 guitar tracks on their studio recordings.

There's often 2 layers of rhythm guitars and a lead layer that is playing "flavor" licks, and then eventually it changes over to some lead harmony lines with the rhythm line still going. With three people playing guitar as covers, you have person A, B, C playing rhythm to start, then (for example) C starts playing lead licks when they come in, and then a harmony line comes along, so B keeps playing the rhythm while A joins off to play the harmony for C's lead line, then goes back to playing rhythm, etc.

If A, B, C are roughly equivalently skilled, you work in lead sharing duties for them all, etc.

Honestly, shared lead bands have always seemed the best situation from my point of view. It adds flavor to the performances, something that strict lead and rhythm player bands don't always have.
Quote by mzhang13

look at the jonas brothers one of the guitarists sings and theres 3 of them
yeah sure 3 guitarist can work. if it doesnt, just get your worst guitarist to switch to keyboard.... or you might have to resort to kicking someone out.
bro0otal

Drummer

Guitarist___________Bassist________________Vox______________________Lead Guitarist
Honestly, since you're 13, it probably won't work and you'll have an incredibly tough time trying to keep things from sounding like one huge mess. And to everyone saying "Oh, Iron Maiden, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Radiohead bla bla bla they all have 3 guitarists"... yeah but those are profressional musicians who have been working at their craft (or worked in Skynyrd's case) for years and years. These are a bunch of 13 year old kids, its not the same thing.
*Official Deadhead*

The times they are a-changin'
Quote by trey-col89
Honestly, since you're 13, it probably won't work and you'll have an incredibly tough time trying to keep things from sounding like one huge mess. And to everyone saying "Oh, Iron Maiden, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Radiohead bla bla bla they all have 3 guitarists"... yeah but those are profressional musicians who have been working at their craft (or worked in Skynyrd's case) for years and years. These are a bunch of 13 year old kids, its not the same thing.

So you're saying that 13-year-olds aren't as capable? It doesn't matter that we're young, what if we are good? Just saying, I'm asking musically, if it can work, and what bands utilize it to look to as an example as how they use it.
Thats exactly what I'm saying. Making a band with 3 guitars work is tough on many levels. Its tough for each guitarist because they feel the other guys get more credit or solo time, its hard to keep every guitarists part interesting and fresh, its hard to not have the bass or any other instrument inaudible under the screech of three guitars, and most of all, its hard to keep from sounding like a complete mess with so many instruments going on top of each other. If you think you are as capable as bands who have not only been working at it for more than 20 years, but bands that have actually been or are famous or successful and have been for many years, then go ahead, but I doubt you guys are as capable as them.

It can work, it is possible for you guys to have a band with three guitarists, but it probably won't, because you guys are young. Unless you have all been playing since you're 5 which I doubt.
*Official Deadhead*

The times they are a-changin'
Last edited by trey-col89 at Jul 13, 2008,
Quote by trey-col89
Thats exactly what I'm saying. Making a band with 3 guitars work is tough on many levels. Its tough for each guitarist because they feel the other guys get more credit or solo time, its hard to keep every guitarists part interesting and fresh, its hard to not have the bass or any other instrument inaudible under the screech of three guitars, and most of all, its hard to keep from sounding like a complete mess with so many instruments going on top of each other. If you think you are as capable as bands who have not only been working at it for more than 20 years, but bands that have actually been or are famous or successful and have been for many years, then go ahead, but I doubt you guys are as capable as them.

It can work, it is possible for you guys to have a band with three guitarists, but it probably won't, because you guys are young. Unless you have all been playing since you're 5 which I doubt.

I'll keep you updated.