Hey. I've been playing a lot of Chevelle in Drop B, and also Mudvayne and Thrice. They both use drop chords but add an extra finger and it makes them sound a lot better. I wonder if anyone knows the theory behind it. Or when these are used a lot.

Ex:

G 10
D 8
A 8
D 8

And

G 10
D X
A 8
D 0
(I know this one is just an octave but you play the open top string. But it sounds so good. Does 'work' if not in drop?"

D 5
A 3
D 3

D 7
A 3
D 3

D 10
A 7
D 7

Also Mudvayne used an interesting one in

D 2
A 3
D 2

Thanks.
D 5
A 3
D 3

D 7
A 3
D 3

D 10
A 7
D 7

I first discovered those while pitifully trying to learn protest the hero.

But this looks interesting:

Ex:

G 10
D 8
A 8
D 8

might try it later.
I was living a lie, now I'm dying to know the truth...
no theory to be honest. deftones' early work had those chords. it is awesome though.
They work in the same way adding the octave to a power chord works: you're effectively adding octaves of both the notes in the power chord to give it a fuller sound.

This should be in Guitar and Bass Basics, though.
Quote by Felkara
Dude, you just made the most intelligent post in this entire thread. Congrats.
Quote by eeleye99
Hey. I've been playing a lot of Chevelle in Drop B, and also Mudvayne and Thrice. They both use drop chords but add an extra finger and it makes them sound a lot better. I wonder if anyone knows the theory behind it. Or when these are used a lot.

Ex:

G 10
D 8
A 8
D 8

The 10 on top is another fifth so it's still a pure powerchord.

And

G 10
D X
A 8
D 0
(I know this one is just an octave but you play the open top string. But it sounds so good. Does 'work' if not in drop?"

That particular chord is a minor third diad, it only has 2 different notes so it's not really a chord.

D 5
A 3
D 3

That's a sus2 chord, the top note it the 2nd.

D 7
A 3
D 3

Major triad

D 10
A 7
D 7

Minor Triad

Also Mudvayne used an interesting one in

D 2
A 3
D 2

That's a minor 6th Diad, once again; only two notes, the C is a minor 6th.

Thanks.

See red text, but this should probably go in electric guitar or musician talk though.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
wat
Quote by imdeth
This man deserves my +1

+1

Quote by denizenz
Go in peace my son, and teach to the pit dwellers what I have shown unto you.

ಠ_ಠ

XBL: huffy409
thanks for the great posts. It was my first post on the forums. I'll know next time.
Last edited by eeleye99 at Jun 27, 2008,
8-8-8-10 is a four-note power chord, consisting of a root, fifth, octave, and fifth again.

0-8-x-10 could be a D minor (no 5th) - the open D plus the 8 and it's octave, which make up two thirds.

3-3-5 would be an Fsus2.

3-3-7 would be a normal F major.

7-7-10 would be an A minor.

2-3-2 is an aug5 power chord - the 5th is raised by half a step.
I'm a communist. Really.
Quote by eeleye99
I forgot one type of chord.

In a drop tuning that's a sus2 chord with an extra fifth on top.

You really should try learning to construct chords yourself, there are some good lessons on this site.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by ctb
no theory to be honest. deftones' early work had those chords. it is awesome though.

well you sir are wrong, of course theres theory behind them most are just extended powerchords
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
In a drop tuning that's a sus2 chord with an extra fifth on top.

You really should try learning to construct chords yourself, there are some good lessons on this site.

THanks for the help Zaphod. I'll look for one of those chord tutorials. I know how to play but it never hurts to know how to make chords from the ground up.