Sorry for being so un-informed about this.
My question is how do you achieve great distortion? Is it a pedal, a combination of pedals, amps or what?

I know the Ibanez TS-9 is popular, why is that?

I used a Digitech Metal Master but it had so much gain that is was difficult to play chords.

Thanks for your help!
You need a good amp for good distortion.

The metal master is a horrible pedal. Run that through a crap amp and you will get horrid distortion.
Boss Turbo Distortion DS-2 it is amazing.
Quote by horny_cactus
Who's Rick Roll? Sorry for my ignorance I just joined this forum so I don't yet Know that member.
yeah its both your amp and the pedal you use
i have a digitech grunge pedal and i like that but if you have a ****ty amp then no matter what you use it will still sound bad
Quote by I Be Andyy
That gives you rank of -10 out of 10. You fail. Go play the flute.

----GEAR----
Gibson voodoo sg
Schecter hellraiser c-1 fr (07' model)
Fender american strat
Martin 000-28
Peavey bandit 112
Mesa mark 5
Mesa stiletto 4x12
Quote by fergus74
You need a good amp for good distortion.

The metal master is a horrible pedal. Run that through a crap amp and you will get horrid distortion.

This.
Quote by metalminded07
Boss Turbo Distortion DS-2 it is amazing.

No.

You need a decent amp really, people like the tubescreamers because they give a nice mid hump for solo boosts and such and can really tighten up the sound if used as a booster.
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
great distortion comes only from the amp most of the times. you can get distortion ouyt of pedals, but it won't sound as good as from a good amp.

pedals are sometimes used to boost the amp though, so it distorts more.
A good amp is the basis of your sound; with a good amp even theoretically awful pedals can sounds great if you tweak them right. Some pedals are really underappreciated (like DS-2, mister Yngwi3!) just because they are cheap and mostly used with awful practice amps. My DS-2 sounds pretty good through my VC15, EQing is the key to success!

But all in all - good tube amp and an overdrive/distortion pedal is what you need.
Last edited by zombiak at Jun 27, 2008,
Well "Great Distortion" is subjective... you might like uber br00talz death metal distortion, or you might like a little crunchy blues overdrive. It all depends on the style of music and person playing it.

Although most would agree that in general the best distortion comes from tube amplifiers....
Quote by Diet_coke_head
I love taking a nice dip of some horse shit, so good.