OK, here's the deal:

Lately I bought a sweet Fender Squier JV from 1983. The tone of this thing is amazing, it works really well with my amp and pedals, but there's a catch. It has vintage-style pickups which have pretty low output, and they simply can't push my Big Muff Pi as hard as my Jackson JS20 did (the Jackson has a humbucker).

I don't want to get rid of original pickups because their tone is good, I just want to get more gain from the pedal. I was thinking about a clean boost pedal like MXR Micro Amp.
Would such pedal, placed before my distortion pedals in the pedal chain, gimme more gain simply boosting signal from pickups?

BTW I'd prefer to have more gain WITHOUT more volume, I play only at home, and my playing is clearly hearable in whole block of flats already
clean booster would work. adding another OD or distortion pedal would accomplish your goal too.
I'm a Mormon.

Gear:
Schecter C-1+
Kustom Tube 12-A
Digitech Hardwire Tube Overdrive
Quote by IbanezPsycho
MXR 10 band would work as well.. and you have the option to lower the volume output..

why didn't i think of that? you win.
I'm a Mormon.

Gear:
Schecter C-1+
Kustom Tube 12-A
Digitech Hardwire Tube Overdrive
Quote by ortrigger
clean booster would work. adding another OD or distortion pedal would accomplish your goal too.

I have another distortion pedal (namely DS-2) and I often mix it with Big Muff Pi for Frusciantesque solos. Then the amount of gain is OK. What I want is to get more gain from the Big Muff alone, to achieve distortion like Smashing Pumpkins, or solos by Gilmour (he uses EMG single pickups so they have more output than mine)
clean booster (at least any i've tried) raise the volume and the gain... maybe an overdrive might be better? not certain, though, i've never used pedals to boost other pedals...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
a danelectro fish and chips can do the same as a mxr ten band with 3 less bands and 80 less dollars.
ODEN 08 'RISE WITH US'