Which type of pickup is more virsatile?
Schecter Hellraiser C-1 81TW/89
Fender 60th Anniversary Strat with Gibson P/Us
Line 6 Spider III half stack
Dunlop Original Crybaby Wah
Digitech RP50
I would think active...
Quote by breakdown123
Is there such a thing as a heavy riff with out chugging on the e string?
for a spider III, get passive
Quote by pedaler466
Shreadhead22 had nothing helpful to say to me. He just immediatly started being a prick.

Quote by Yngwi3
Shredhead's advice is the best in the thread.

-Mesa Roadster
-Mesa 4x12
-'93 Gibby LP studio
-535q
-CE5/DD-220
-TS9dx
-EB volume
-Shure Wireless
Passive if you want to go from like Grindcore to Blues, some passive p'ups can do that.
But I still prefer active p'ups because I love Metal and actives are made for it.
Passive if you want to play anything that doesn't call for roaring pickups...blues, jazz, etc. Active work best for stuff like hard rock, metal.
Quote by ESPplayer5150
tell me filth what pickups you got in your guitar

X2N and Paf pro in the Yamaha
JB and Jazz in the Ibanez

What about it?
Last edited by xFilth at Jun 27, 2008,
Passives can do everything. There are a huge amount to choose from. And there is no batteries. I'd take my passives over EMG's any day
no no no no. Actives are much less versatile......to whom ever said they were more.
-Shecter C-7 Hellraiser FR, Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR,
ESP LTD F-2005, Ibanez RG7321
-Peavey 6505+
-Maxon OD-9, Dunlop 535Q Wah, EHX Deluxe Memory Man, MXR 10-band EQ, MXR Super Comp
Melodeath: www.myspace.com/incarnia
UG Gain Whore
Quote by Matheau
It depends on the situation and other equipment.

this is true, actives can be plenty versatile given the right gear. IMO though id rather have my pups compliment my gear than buy gear to compliment my active pups
Quote by pedaler466
Shreadhead22 had nothing helpful to say to me. He just immediatly started being a prick.

Quote by Yngwi3
Shredhead's advice is the best in the thread.

-Mesa Roadster
-Mesa 4x12
-'93 Gibby LP studio
-535q
-CE5/DD-220
-TS9dx
-EB volume
-Shure Wireless
Quote by ESPplayer5150
my emgs can do anything

Really? You can play soft classical with them?

^
He's laughing at YOU.
You better click that bastard.

Ibanez RG370DX
Peavey Valveking 112 (w/ Bad Monkey and GE-7 EQ)
I had a strat a year ago with 3x emg-sa and it was able to play that
Actives = more gain, therefore they tend to only be really good for metal and hard rock.
Gear:
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez GRG170DX
Peavey Vypyr 75
Fender Princeton 650 DSP w/ Celestion 80w speaker
Quote by Friendly Stoat
Actives = more gain, therefore they tend to only be really good for metal and hard rock.

Yep, if you want TeH br00t4lz, get actives.

If you still want to get heavy, but want a wider range of tones, get passives.

^
He's laughing at YOU.
You better click that bastard.

Ibanez RG370DX
Peavey Valveking 112 (w/ Bad Monkey and GE-7 EQ)
passives
all actives are good for is if you have a sucky guitar becasue they dont take tone from your guitar, they just sound the same no matter what...for instance if you have an made in china epiphone and a $10,000 custom gibson les paul, and run them both thru the same amp, and they both have active pickups...your tone will be the same, both guitars will sound identical. they will obviously play differently, but the will sound the same. actives are also good for heavy stuff if your into hitting power chords on full distortion...if you play anything other than banging power chords and hitting random harmonics on full distortion, i would suggest passives...but your question was which is more versitile and i guess i havent answered that yet, so...passives are far more versatile than actives.
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Better than hooked on crack, I suppose. I'd rather know my kids are safe at home beating their meat than out in the world robbing old women for their crack fix.

Quote by *sigh*
What a huge coincidence. I have a butthole also.
you want versatile? get a HSS strat with s1 switching (or push-pull)

or get a HSH or HH with coil tap function.

passives
Fender American Vintage '62 Jaguar
Fender Crafted in Japan '62 Telecaster
THD Flexi-50 + Vox V112HTV Handwired Cab
Passives.
Barry White is cooler than you
Quote by Deliriumbassist
I really wish I could say you're funny and cool, but that would be like saying Africa doesn't have a poverty problem.
Quote by bi-ah!
passives
all actives are good for is if you have a sucky guitar becasue they dont take tone from your guitar, they just sound the same no matter what...for instance if you have an made in china epiphone and a $10,000 custom gibson les paul, and run them both thru the same amp, and they both have active pickups...your tone will be the same, both guitars will sound identical. they will obviously play differently, but the will sound the same. actives are also good for heavy stuff if your into hitting power chords on full distortion...if you play anything other than banging power chords and hitting random harmonics on full distortion, i would suggest passives...but your question was which is more versitile and i guess i havent answered that yet, so...passives are far more versatile than actives.

The part about two guitars sounding the same is rubbish. Otherwise to get a top sounding tone you could buy a $50 piece of crap and put emgs-sa's in and it would sound like david gilmores strat...
Quote by supergerbil
The part about two guitars sounding the same is rubbish. Otherwise to get a top sounding tone you could buy a $50 piece of crap and put emgs-sa's in and it would sound like david gilmores strat...

if ur running through the right amp, the pickups are active, yeah it will...actives are different than passives for that reason, the pickup has a preamp and it has its own tone...if you put emgs on a broomstick it would have the same tone as a guitar, it would be harder to play but it would have the same tone...passives take the tone of your wood, therefore thats why they all sound different on different guitars made of different types of woods...actives sound the same on everything
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Better than hooked on crack, I suppose. I'd rather know my kids are safe at home beating their meat than out in the world robbing old women for their crack fix.

Quote by *sigh*
What a huge coincidence. I have a butthole also.
Quote by MakeItWitChu
Really? You can play soft classical with them?

... Soft classical with electric guitar? Oh, come on!
G͔͓̅e͎͉̟̽ͬ͐̎̃͐ͨͅå͈͖͕̹̤̟̐̏͋ͅr̩͕̫̰̗s̹̳̼ͥ̒̍̄̅ͥ̚:

ESP Standard Eclipse I CTM VW
ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP LTD Deluxe Viper-1000 STBC
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Warmoth Paulcaster "Tiger"
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R

I had EMG 81 and 60 on an all mahogany lp copy. They certainly sound good and dispite what others said it sounded good clean too. It's just a tad sterile and a little lacking in dynamics but dammit, they're sweet sounding pups. Treat your volume knob as a gain knob with actives.

When I had my guitar made which is mahogany boby and maple neck I had the luthier to put in DeMarzio D'activators for me. They are a passive version of EMG 81 but it has dynamics as a passive would give you. They certainly are nice with dirty and clean tones.

I have another guitar with SD pearly gates and SD alnico II pro and they have the advantage when it comes to cleans up to a little crunch. Not too bad with dirtys though.

Now I have a mad guitar and a glad guitar.
Quote by ESPplayer5150
hmm people who dont like actives play ibanez

This fails so hard... There are so many who put EMGs into their ibby
G͔͓̅e͎͉̟̽ͬ͐̎̃͐ͨͅå͈͖͕̹̤̟̐̏͋ͅr̩͕̫̰̗s̹̳̼ͥ̒̍̄̅ͥ̚:

ESP Standard Eclipse I CTM VW
ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP LTD Deluxe Viper-1000 STBC
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Warmoth Paulcaster "Tiger"
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R

Quote by ESPplayer5150
hmm people who dont like actives play ibanez

There is a lot of people out there with an EMG loaded Ibby. You fail!
Empty tankard! Empty Tankard!