Okay i have been playing since this christmas and i just started sweep picking today. And have been playing this excercise that i made up for about 4 hours straight now. What are some tips to get my speed up. I kind of used a metronome at the start and im playing on clean so it brings out my mistakes.

-----------12----------17p---------------------------------12------15p--------
------13---------------------13------------------------12-------------------13
--14------------------------------14--------------13------------------------------14
----------------------------------------12----14--------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

the "p" means i hammer on then pull off back onto the 12th fret.

This is the excercise i made up and have been doing non stop.
am i on a good track?
Keep in mind, playing clean may bring out your mistakes but when you play with distortion you have to "control" the distortion. There could be excess noises while you sweep that dont show up with clean tone.
Only build up speed when you've got it really good slow. One small mistake in technique could cost you a lot of time.
yeah i have practiced about an hour with distortion just becauuse it sounds cooler and i see what you mean. Yeah im a perfectionist kidn of person so if i make one mistake ill try it over again and again until i get it perfect then ill try faster. Thanks for all the help. Is there any other easy excercises like this that i should try?
Put a lot of distortion on. It doesn't have to sound pretty...just get those harmonics leaping out at you. If you can keep those under control you'll have no problem doing it at lesser distortion levels. And practice slowly. And quickly. And everywhere in between. To get good at sweeping you'll have to do a little of all the speeds and eventually you'll get more comfortable
Play it slow and build it up. If you can't play it accurately slow, you can play it accurately fast. If it helps I started with this sweep-

------------13-h17p--13-------
------14---------------------14----
15--------------------------------15

Another one is the same as that, but replace the 15s with 13s. It makes it a bit more challenging because you have to move you index finger more. I started with 3 string sweeps and them moved onto 4 and 5. Bottom line, just build it up.
okay thanks. Any other things i should try that will help with my sweeping. I want to make sure that im doing everything right cause i dont want to do something wrong and have it mess me up in the long run cause i know this is a hard technique. Any really good excercises that are only 3 to 4 strings
Quote by Tom_hatton
Play it slow and build it up. If you can't play it accurately slow, you can play it accurately fast. If it helps I started with this sweep-

------------13-h17p--13-------
------14---------------------14----
15--------------------------------15

Another one is the same as that, but replace the 15s with 13s. It makes it a bit more challenging because you have to move you index finger more. I started with 3 string sweeps and them moved onto 4 and 5. Bottom line, just build it up.

Yeah I think slow 3 string sweeps is the way to start.

Theres a sweep lesson on this site that has a few 3, 4, 5, and 6 string sweeps to practice.
♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪
bearing in mind you only started last christmas (you're already trying to sweep so why not), starting to learn some basic theory and modes and such could help you 'connect' sweep picking patterns and have more fun with them. I realize you are just getting going, but by only doing lessons tabbed out for you, you can only get so far. If you get a teeny bit of theory and can start understanding where the 'sweeping patterns' come from then you'll be creating your own stuff (basic albeit) which translates into more fun. Many great lessons to be found on this sight if you search for 'modes' or 'basic theory' or whatnot. Good luck in learning!
Try this as well-

----------------12h17p17----------------
-----------13-----------------13-----------
------14--------------------------14-------
-14-----------------------------------14---

That one is good because you get to practice the barring/rolling thing, its particularly complicated on the way back down. This is a fun arpeggio as well-

-------------------------12h15p12---------------------
-------------------13-----------------13----------------
--------------12---------------------------12-----------
---------14------------------------------------14-------
-----15--------------------------------------------15--

C Major arpeggio I think, something like that. Its kind of an extension on what I showed earlier... I know its 5 strings but you can practise it as 4, or whatever you feel comfortable with. Its quite Children of Bodom-ish, I think its used in Bed of Razors.
okay also one more question. When i sweep should i hold my pick tight or lightly. I hold mine really light so im barely holding onto it. Is this the proper technique
Quote by bWsWwrestler
okay also one more question. When i sweep should i hold my pick tight or lightly. I hold mine really light so im barely holding onto it. Is this the proper technique

Whatever you feel comfortable with. As long as you get a good sound and don't drop your pick, its completely up to you.
okay. And yeah i do know where the patterns come from. I have spent alot of time learning theory since i started. I know alot fo scales and starting to understand modes better. Its just i am still a beginner so i wanted to see other people patterns that may differ from mine due to a different scale that i dont know yet. I just want variety
*update*

I have yet another question. Im finally at about 3/4 speed while sweeping. But i noticed when i try any faster i can never get my pinky to hit the 17th fret or any fret for that matter it kind of just touches it but i cant get the full pull off when im moving my fingers that fast. How do i solve this? also do i want to leightly slide the top of the pick across the top of the strings or do i want to use alot of resistance?
if your pinky isn't even strong enough to fret notes you shouldn't even bother to learn to sweep. Make sure when your playing cover and stuff, you always use your pink where necessary.

Sweeping requires pinky strength.
My Gear

Guitar
DEAN Razorback Shards
Wesley crappy cheap thing

Amps
Cheap Crappy Freedom Practice AMP 15watts
VOX AD50 Valtronix
no i have pinky strength its just when i play at a certain speed my pinky skills just get thrown out the window. I guess i just gotta work on it. Also what is a good guitar for shredding i just started shredding and i have agile AL-3100 but i want a shred guitar. Any suggestions under 500 USD, dont want to spend much seeing as it would be a secondary guitar.