I hear of all these pedals nowadays that try to emulate the breakup and natural overdrive of a tube amp. It could be anything from a tubescreamer to a boutique handmade OD. What my question is, why do we even have distortion pedals? If a cranked tube amp supposedly sounds so much "better" why dont people just use cranked tube amps and onboard gain (if they have it). What I keep hearing is that the hotter you run a tube amp, the better it sounds, so why doesn't everyone just run their amps at 100% all the time?

Ignore the fact that you might go deaf....this is a tone question not a volume question.
Quote by jackbauer
playing by yourself is like masturbating, sure it feels great, but it's nothing compared to the real deal.

Quote by guylee
Oh Shit! I Have A Weird Growth On My Body!

To The Pit!

JOIN MY GROUP plox

http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/tonelife/
Quote by USAPeavey
I hear of all these pedals nowadays that try to emulate the breakup and natural overdrive of a tube amp. It could be anything from a tubescreamer to a boutique handmade OD. What my question is, why do we even have distortion pedals? If a cranked tube amp supposedly sounds so much "better" why dont people just use cranked tube amps and onboard gain (if they have it). What I keep hearing is that the hotter you run a tube amp, the better it sounds, so why doesn't everyone just run their amps at 100% all the time?

Ignore the fact that you might go deaf....this is a tone question not a volume question.

Overdrive =/= Distortion

That's why.
Quote by TheProducer
Overdrive =/= Distortion

That's why.

+1
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Overdrive is used to boost a distorted channel or for a little little overdrive over a clean.

Distortion is used over a clean channel.

Distortion pedals are **** IMO.

Natural amp distortion >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> distortion pedal.
-Shecter C-7 Hellraiser FR, Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR,
ESP LTD F-2005, Ibanez RG7321
-Peavey 6505+
-Maxon OD-9, Dunlop 535Q Wah, EHX Deluxe Memory Man, MXR 10-band EQ, MXR Super Comp
Melodeath: www.myspace.com/incarnia
UG Gain Whore
overdrive pedals push the amps harder to get that over the top distortion and much needed sustain.......I usually only engage mine when Im on lead.
"People worry too much about tone instead of just rocking out"
Quote by jerm__
Overdrive is used to boost a distorted channel or for a little little overdrive over a clean.

Distortion is used over a clean channel.

Distortion pedals are **** IMO.

Natural amp distortion >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> distortion pedal.

depending on the amp of course.

TS: you hit the nail on the head, why do you think so many people suggest a tube amp replacement when another "OMGz whyz my MGz sound like crapz, what peddel can i buyz to fix toneage" thread pops up
Quote by pedaler466
Shreadhead22 had nothing helpful to say to me. He just immediatly started being a prick.

Quote by Yngwi3
Shredhead's advice is the best in the thread.

-Mesa Roadster
-Mesa 4x12
-'93 Gibby LP studio
-535q
-CE5/DD-220
-TS9dx
-EB volume
-Shure Wireless
Most people would turn their tube amps up all the time if they wouldn't make their ears bleed..

From a tone perspective, the only time you wouldn't want to turn a tube amp up is some people prefer using more preamp distortion when playing metal.
cause not every one has tube amps.

I find it hard to believe that every distortion/overdrive pedal in the world was made for SS amp users...

Quote by JaredFace
overdrive pedals push the amps harder to get that over the top distortion and much needed sustain.......I usually only engage mine when Im on lead.

And before you kick in that overdrive, you have your amp completely dimed, running 100% right? If not, my question still remains. Couldn't you have just turned your amp up instead of stomping on a pedal and gotten a "better" tone because tube amps naturally have "better" tone?
Quote by jackbauer
playing by yourself is like masturbating, sure it feels great, but it's nothing compared to the real deal.

Quote by guylee
Oh Shit! I Have A Weird Growth On My Body!

To The Pit!

JOIN MY GROUP plox

http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/tonelife/
Quote by USAPeavey

And before you kick in that overdrive, you have your amp completely dimed, running 100% right? If not, my question still remains. Couldn't you have just turned your amp up instead of stomping on a pedal and gotten a "better" tone because tube amps naturally have "better" tone?

that's where the volume issue comes into play. Some people want a greater amount of gain saturation but don't have that kind of capability in the preamp without increasing the volume. Thats where a good overdrive can come into play. An OD can also be used for other things though, like boosting the mids to cut through the mix of a band; or, in my case, tighten up my sound to give it more of an "oomph"
Quote by pedaler466
Shreadhead22 had nothing helpful to say to me. He just immediatly started being a prick.

Quote by Yngwi3
Shredhead's advice is the best in the thread.

-Mesa Roadster
-Mesa 4x12
-'93 Gibby LP studio
-535q
-CE5/DD-220
-TS9dx
-EB volume
-Shure Wireless
Quote by USAPeavey

Well for one for metal not alot of people can afford a Diezel Herbert so a little push is needed. Also OD's have other use's for example lead boost or for tighting up an amps distortion. And pretty much everyone that use's a OD on a already hot amp for metal are setting the level at 10 and gain at 0 so no emulation is used there just useing it to tighten up the amp.

Also most metal guys will have there volume close to dimed for the channel and then set the master to a resonable tone so your getting preamp saturation and no power amp saturation.

So not everyone wants to crank there tube amps its all dependant on the genre also there such things as attenuators which do just what your talking about.. Its all prefrence.

Another thing some people like the way diode clipping and SS amps sound.... So they buy pedals...
Quote by USAPeavey

The fact is that while most valve amps sound their best at high volume, they don't necessarily sound their best when they're run flat out. Often they can lose low end response, and generally become less defined sounding. In this case, an overdrive can be very helpful, as they usually tighten the tone. Amps have sweet spots, generally you'd try to leave the amp a a particularly sweet setting, and just change the input signal for more gain.

Most overdrives have some kind of tonal character, which colours the sound. Some people use ODs more to change the tone than to increase overall output. I use my Butler Tube Driver to "open" the tone of my Cornford to a violin like sound, rather than to increase the overall output, which I can't get without it. Nor for that matter, can you usually get an SRV style "bite" from a Fender amp without an 808 styled boost.
My name is Tom, feel free to use it.
Because for one thing, a lot of players don't use an OD pedal to add gain, they use it to tighten up the sound of the amp when it already has a lot of gain.

Others use it to give the amp more versatility if it has less channels than needed. For example, if you have an amp with two channels and you want a clean channel and one to be a heavier lead channel, perhaps you want another that's a little lighter on the OD, which is where the OD would come in on the clean channel.

Others will use it on a lower gain amp that doesn't have enough gain on it even when dimed (ie: Valve Junior, V16, etc) to get more gain out of it.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
Because for one thing, a lot of players don't use an OD pedal to add gain, they use it to tighten up the sound of the amp when it already has a lot of gain.

Others use it to give the amp more versatility if it has less channels than needed. For example, if you have an amp with two channels and you want a clean channel and one to be a heavier lead channel, perhaps you want another that's a little lighter on the OD, which is where the OD would come in on the clean channel.

Others will use it on a lower gain amp that doesn't have enough gain on it even when dimed (ie: Valve Junior, V16, etc) to get more gain out of it.
This is all right.

And some just use it cause they're gain *****s and they need even more gain!

-Shecter C-7 Hellraiser FR, Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR,
ESP LTD F-2005, Ibanez RG7321
-Peavey 6505+
-Maxon OD-9, Dunlop 535Q Wah, EHX Deluxe Memory Man, MXR 10-band EQ, MXR Super Comp
Melodeath: www.myspace.com/incarnia
UG Gain Whore
I would like to say at this point that just about any tube amp driven to break up will be bloody loud, no one can play that loud all the time.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
I would like to say at this point that just about any tube amp driven to break up will be bloody loud, no one can play that loud all the time.

i bet that blackheart 1 watter won't be all that loud , and the fender champ RI's aren't too loud either.
Quote by TheProducer
Overdrive =/= Distortion

That's why.

Can I ask you, why did you quote the TS?

But I would only use an overdrive or a distortion if the amps OD was rubbish.

Oh well.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
Quote by The red Strat.
i bet that blackheart 1 watter won't be all that loud , and the fender champ RI's aren't too loud either.

Even so; you can't play at breakup volumes all the time, some people live with other people who don't like hearing guitar all the time...and who pay the bills so you have to do what they say.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Prophet of Page
The fact is that while most valve amps sound their best at high volume, they don't necessarily sound their best when they're run flat out. Often they can lose low end response, and generally become less defined sounding. In this case, an overdrive can be very helpful, as they usually tighten the tone. Amps have sweet spots, generally you'd try to leave the amp a a particularly sweet setting, and just change the input signal for more gain.

Most overdrives have some kind of tonal character, which colours the sound. Some people use ODs more to change the tone than to increase overall output. I use my Butler Tube Driver to "open" the tone of my Cornford to a violin like sound, rather than to increase the overall output, which I can't get without it. Nor for that matter, can you usually get an SRV style "bite" from a Fender amp without an 808 styled boost.

+1
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by MatrixClaw

also +1
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Well, tubes give "soft clipping", which is the shortening and compressing of the sine wave in the signal, in a round pattern. Whereas diodes can compress the wave, but distortion generally differs in that it does not compress the wave, instead it just omits the top and bottom end of the signal, creating a dirty, gritty, more odd-harmonic filled. Better suited for punk rock, modern rock and thrash metal. In other cases pedals utilized diodes yielding tube-like qualities, best exemplified in the use of light emitting diodes, less compression with softer clipping than transistor circuits. The ibanez turbo tubescreamer, DS-1 keely seeing eye mod, for example.

Distortion and overdrive have their place.
You can't crank any tube amplifier and get the gritty dirty and odd harmonic filled tone of punk.
You COULD use LEDs as a preamp circuit in a solid state amplifier, but it's not going to perfectly recreate a tube amplifier, not even a valvestate.

There's a few types of tone.
Tube may be generally regarded as supreme, but quite a few guitarists have carved out their way without using anywhere near top-notch equipment.
If chuck berry was obsessed with getting a clean tone, he wouldn't have been caught dead overdriving his smaller tube amplifiers. We wouldn't be having this thread going on right now.
Had artists refused to use busted cone speakers and amplifiers missing tubes, rock n roll wouldn't have been rock n roll.
Link wray, the kinks, they used speaker distortion, which is now a lost art.
Build your own tone, use what ya got, and you might actually sound unique.
Not enough people do this anymore.
Please do not insinuate anything sexual from that.

Quote by cobain_is_king
If your friends don't like your guitar, cover it in stickers and it'll be teh rawks!
Quote by USAPeavey

If I go deaf there's no reason to have good tone. I got a 50 watter and almost never gig so my only option of getting close to that nice overdriven sound is to use a pedal.

Also you can push an overdriven amp even more with the pedals so they have their uses. Of course if I had choice i'd be cranking the amp almost always.
High Cardinal of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join and
"Co-Founder (and Yoda) of the Star Wars Universe. PM me or SethMegadefan to join.

' " The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death"...'-p.269-Deathly Hallows
i heard from killswitch engage that they use they're maxon on something not too clean and with a little amp gain but their isnt that much hum because they use their dist in a loop of an ns-2. i do a similair thing but im missin the ns-2 idea cuz... i dont have it. and i kinda like it so no one quote me and call me retarded
I think you are confusing pre amp gain and power amp gain. Not everyone does like a cranked power amp that gets that break up and pushed tube sound. I like tube amps because they are loud and warm but i dont like the sound of my tube amp cranked very high because it has that cracking power amp distortion sound and my notes don't sound as clear. I like saturated preamp gain. The tube screamers can push the tubes and add more power amp gain also with preamp gain on a lot of them if they have that feature. Which makes the tubes sound hotter and louder but it doesn't sound so maxed out.