I have this friend and she won't even listen to a band/artist if the singer has a "disagreable" voice. Unless it sounds like it came out a box she won't even give them a chance.
I can't stand people who condem a person/group just because they are the best at singing, I mean shouldn't there be way more taken into consideration? I mean people must like them for another reason besides their voice.
Take Neil Young, Nick Drake, Ben Folds and there certainly are many others that can't stand just because of their singing abilities.
I dunno, it just bothers me a whole lot, not even giving them a chance just because their voice isn't perfect. It shouldn't matter as long as their music is solid...
You know what I hate?

People who have two cell phones. I mean, why the fuck would you need two cellphones?!
she likes groups like john mayer and my chemical romance, though i am not saying they are bad or anything, thats just all she likes, i try to show her other things but she never really listens to even the whole song that i show her
Quote by guitar_jed
I have this friend and she won't even listen to a band/artist if the singer has a "disagreable" voice. Unless it sounds like it came out a box she won't even give them a chance.
I can't stand people who condem a person/group just because they are the best at singing, I mean shouldn't there be way more taken into consideration? I mean people must like them for another reason besides their voice.
Take Neil Young, Nick Drake, Ben Folds and there certainly are many others that can't stand just because of their singing abilities.
I dunno, it just bothers me a whole lot, not even giving them a chance just because their voice isn't perfect. It shouldn't matter as long as their music is solid...

Unless you like singing. Then, it matters a whole lot.
Close-minded git.
I dunno, if you choose something as your career you ought to be good at it. I could understand if it was the style of vocals that she doesn't like, for example some people don't like screaming, but if it's just off-key then I don't see how you can hate that she dislikes it. You'd probably criticise a guitarist who sucked, right?
Quote by guitar_jed
she likes groups like john mayer and my chemical romance
Gerard Way can't sing anyway so neither of you know what you are talking about.
i thought this was gonna be about communist bashing.

Stand up and cheer if you like SimCity

Play Up Pompey, Pompey Play Up
THE WiLDHEARTS

Quote by goest
I'm going to take this opportunity to initiate my campaign to replace the phrase "Taking a shit" with "Busting a grumpy."
ok i like bands that have singing talent, i am just saying give the other guys a chance. its just that all she looks for in a band is singing
Quote by Doppelgänger
You know what I hate?

People who have two cell phones. I mean, why the fuck would you need two cellphones?!

one for business and one for pleasure
Quote by Doppelgänger
You know what I hate?

LMAO!
Quote by Eminored
I'm not one for chocolate milk. *holds up flameshield*

LEAVE!
If I find the singer to be annoying, I'm not going to listen to the music either. Why would I listen to music that irritates me?

She didn't agree with your musical tastes... fine. So why is she close-minded? Just because she doesn't like what you do, she needs to broaden her horizons? Get a life.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Quote by Eminored
I'm not one for chocolate milk. *holds up flameshield*

Heretic!
Quote by death101
one for business and one for pleasure

I read that as a double entendre at first.

Well, anyways, I guess you're right. But I've seen a couple people at my school who have two cellphones. They certainly wouldn't need one for "business".
Nothing wrong with it, i only like certain voices, im not closed minded i just know what i like, some i cant stand, mostly the ****ing ****ty indie and american rock band voices i cant ****ing stand, the do my ****ING head in
Quote by Doppelgänger
You know what I hate?

+1

Well they do come in handy when you need a temporary cell phone.

I hate people that dog the type of music I listen to because they can't understand it. I listen to KsE a lot and people are like SATAN, EVIL, ANAL. They don't even stand for anything like that.
The best thing about life is knowing you put it together
That's why I like guys like Nick Drake, it's the "imperfections" in his voice that give him character. Just don't take things like that into consideration, let her listen to whatever she wants, unless you're one of those oh so kind eletists that make sure their friends listen to the "right" music before they consider them friends
john mayer isn't even a great singer...he just relies on vocal schtick for which females have a certain affinity.

but i can understand, a lot of the time if something about a band turns me off it's the singer, maybe she'll eventually get tired of listening to only a few bands and start to appreciate other stuff.
You know what i hate...Communists!

Quote by SlipknotRule93
i thought this was gonna be about communist bashing.

And now it is =)
----
People are most judgmental over vocals than any other thing.
Quote by breakdown123
Is there such a thing as a heavy riff with out chugging on the e string?
you have every right to listen to whatever you want, i am not saying there is only one right kind of music, it that was the case we certainly wouldn't have gems like Akon and T-pain now would we?
I dunno i guess i was just trying to show her that there was more out there than what you hear on the radio...
Well, you'd complain about a bad guitar player, so why can't she complain about a bad singer?
Quote by MetalMegaMan
+1

Well they do come in handy when you need a temporary cell phone.

I hate people that dog the type of music I listen to because they can't understand it. I listen to KsE a lot and people are like SATAN, EVIL, ANAL. They don't even stand for anything like that.

Wait, what? People shout out the word "ANAL" at you because you listen to KsE?
Why can’t a heterosexual guy tell a heterosexual guy that he thinks his booty is fly?

Quote by Curious Jeff
These posts are too long. Just do some drugs
Quote by SmarterChild
Well, you'd complain about a bad guitar player, so why can't she complain about a bad singer?

i agree, but it's also important to distinguish a line between a vocalist or guitarist who is bad and one who is just a little unorthodox and therefore sounds a little different. neil young and john fogerty both have very recognizable voices, neither is an incredible vocalist, but both are still good vocalists. bob dylan, on the other hand....
I know i'm going to get flamed for saying this, but I usually won't listen to artists who scream their lyrics because it makes my ears bleed and i can't even understand what they are saying.
Quote by vantage4
i agree, but it's also important to distinguish a line between a vocalist or guitarist who is bad and one who is just a little unorthodox and therefore sounds a little different. neil young and john fogerty both have very recognizable voices, neither is an incredible vocalist, but both are still good vocalists. bob dylan, on the other hand....

Agreed. What it depends on is by what criteria you establish a good vocalist. If it's purely technical than you might as well only listen to classical singers. But for most people it's more than that. I like people with an interesting/distinctive voice and it helps if they're good lyricists. As long as they can make me listen and really get their music across, it doesn't matter if they're particularly technically gifted.

It's also like guitarists who aren't technically flawless but have musically interesting solos. Once again, Neil Young springs to mind.