I have a Palomino V5 (it's one of the one's that were made in the US before they switched to making them over in Asia) and i've noticed that when the gain is anywhere past 4-5 it get's extremly harsh and the higher it goes, the harsher it gets.

It's not the tubes because i just put a EH 12AY7 and a JJ EL-84 and they made some difference but not much. The speaker in the amp is an 8 in. celestion so i don't think it's that either. It's not my guitar because it dosen't make my Classic 30 sound harsh or trebly. It's not the cables because i have tried many different cables with the same results.

My amp sounds significantly different from the crate Palomino V5 (new one) i tried at the store.

Does anyone know what it could be? I don't wanna bring it to an amp tech because the only one near me charges a **** load of money.
Quote by saltysnail
Try turning the tone knob to about 7
Edit: on the amp, not the guitar.

Yes.

And crank the master volume on it. High. And use the neck pickup. These things actually sound great.
maybe its the 12ay7

they're supposed to clip differently then the 12ax7

EQ pedal is still a good bet tho
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
Quote by imgooley
Yes.

And crank the master volume on it. High. And use the neck pickup. These things actually sound great.

i do, it's just it's not very overdriven (probly due to the 12AY7 but that really calmed the amp down a lot, it had really bad feedback problems before) unless i also crank the gain, then it gets grainy.

and anyone suggest any other EQ's? i've tried the boss before and wasn't very happy with it it had a lot of tone lost.

one more question, if i tried to sell it, how much would i possible get for it at a guitar store or if i try to sell it online?
Last edited by Dance_of_Death at Jun 27, 2008,
Make sure the volume is high on the amp, otherwise it won't sound good at all imo. And i'm guessing you mean Palomino V8. Also just keep the tone knob on the amp at 12 o'clock usually unless you like to scoop the mids which would be turning the knob clockwise.
Quote by yoyodunno
Make sure the volume is high on the amp, otherwise it won't sound good at all imo. And i'm guessing you mean Palomino V8. Also just keep the tone knob on the amp at 12 o'clock usually unless you like to scoop the mids which would be turning the knob clockwise.

nope it's a V5, it says so in the manual and the front of the amp
It's not american voiced at all, it has an EL84.

And it claims to be based on an old American amp, i'd assume a champ of some sort.

Are you sure it's 8 inch? It specifies 10 inch. if it is 8 inches, I'd assume the harshness was a combination of the inherent top-end fizz in single-ended EL84 amps and the small speaker being distorted by the excessive signal.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Quote by yoyodunno

no, i'll get a picture up tommarrow. it seems like a Crate V5 mixed with a Palomino V8

Quote by MrCarrot
It's not american voiced at all, it has an EL84.

And it claims to be based on an old American amp, i'd assume a champ of some sort.

Are you sure it's 8 inch? It specifies 10 inch. if it is 8 inches, I'd assume the harshness was a combination of the inherent top-end fizz in single-ended EL84 amps and the small speaker being distorted by the excessive signal.

Yep, i'm sure it's 8 in but i'll mesure again, i was gunna replace the speaker cause i assumed the problem was the speaker was faulty but it measured 8 in and i can't find any good 8 in speakers

i've looked all over the web and can't find any proof this amp even exists, i wish i still had the manual

Edit: lol nevermind, it's the first picture when i type crate v5 into google, appently it's the old style crate v5

Last edited by Dance_of_Death at Jun 28, 2008,
lol theres another review saying the exact same thing. its brittle and harsh. there could have been a reason they changed it or discontinued it :P
Dunno how much this will help, but I know there's some sort of "resistor-clip" mod one can preform on a Fender Blues Jr. to lessen its harshness/treble output. Perhaps a similar mod can be found for you amp?
Do YOU know who Les Paul is?

Guitars:
-Epiphone Dot Studio
Amps:
-Fender Stage 112 SE
Effects:
-BBE Soul Vibe
-Boss OD-1 Overdrive
-Ibanez DE-7 Delay
BTW on the crate website there used to be the manual for all amplifiers they had, discontinued or not. But for some reason that page isn't there any more. http://www.crateamps.com/support/discontinued.php
So if you want a manual you could prolly email them. Also jw, have you turned the amp up all the way, cause my palomino is harsh when just using preamp gain, but with the volume cranked its great. Or you might try some sort of tubescreamer.
I'd try a different preamp tube, like a 12AX7.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator