Guys, I need some help.

I've been practicing heavily for a shredding contest at the guitar camp I'm going to. Now, if it's anything like the camp was last year, I'll have some serious competition. I want to win not only to elongate my metaphorical e-penis, but mainly because first prize is a Parker! It's being judged based on technique, tone, and originality.

So please help me out by posting some licks that can help me really take the cake. I've been practicing the licks in CowboyUp's exercises and those are great, but I need more. Something that will help me acheive flawless victory.

Edit: Also, the camp begins in about a week, and I'll probably have a few more days because I doubt it's on the first day.
Quote by Sonicxlover
Kensai, I think I'll get a flamboyant sig.

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Parker Nitefly Mojo sonnn
Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
Learn some licks by Frank Gambale, Buckethead, Ron Thal and Guthrie Govan, they're all pretty original players.

Try coming up with a song as well; random shred is all very well and good but shred within the context of a song will do much better.

Edit: Make sure you have a strong vibrato and in tune bends as well, all the fancy shred in the world won't help you if you don't have good vibrato and well intonated bends.

Edit2: Whammy bar trick look amatuerish in my opinion; they're often a cover for real technique but things like fluttering/gurgling or vibrato with the whammy bar work well as long as it's consitant.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Last edited by Zaphod_Beeblebr at Jun 27, 2008,
Quote by DimebagRob
U gotta do some whammy bar tricks, if you have a whammy bar that is.

:| I'm pretty sure the judges will be teachers, who are extremely experienced guitarists.
Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
Last edited by Sonicxlover at Jun 27, 2008,
You're going to have sore right hand fingers (assuming you fret with your left hand) when you're done learning this.

8-finger tap. Fast. Right now I can only do mild-speed 8 finger taps, and I'm talking what Buckethead does. Cool sound to them, and it doesn't seem like that many people do it...
When you saw me sleeping
thought I was dreaming
of you...

I didn't tell you
That the only dream
Is Valium for me
Quote by Td_Nights
You're going to have sore right hand fingers (assuming you fret with your left hand) when you're done learning this.

8-finger tap. Fast. Right now I can only do mild-speed 8 finger taps, and I'm talking what Buckethead does. Cool sound to them, and it doesn't seem like that many people do it...

You're right, that's probably the best way to win. Can you give me some good ways to get started? I can tap for long periods with both my pointer and middle finger without getting sore already.
Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
Well I started with just doing four-finger ones, or two fingers per hand.

at least for me, the higher strings were easier to learn it on. Start up high with two fingers on each hand, and eventually work it so you can blaze from the top of your neck to the bottom with two fingers each hand.

Then go back and re-do that with three each. Then four. I'd say the threes are the easiest to do the fastest, that'll probably do if you do it quick enough unless someone else there does it as well.
When you saw me sleeping
thought I was dreaming
of you...

I didn't tell you
That the only dream
Is Valium for me
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Learn some licks by Frank Gambale, Buckethead, Ron Thal and Guthrie Govan, they're all pretty original players.

Try coming up with a song as well; random shred is all very well and good but shred within the context of a song will do much better.

Edit: Make sure you have a strong vibrato and in tune bends as well, all the fancy shred in the world won't help you if you don't have good vibrato and well intonated bends.

Edit2: Whammy bar trick look amatuerish in my opinion; they're often a cover for real technique but things like fluttering/gurgling or vibrato with the whammy bar work well as long as it's consitant.

I agree strongly with Edit 1, bad vibrato and bends will make the best of shredders look like absolute crap.

Now, as far as Edit 2, that's arguable, in the right circumstances it can really stand out and add to a performance, used in the wrong place, it looks like you're a retarded 5-year-old.

My advice is to come up with something that exhibits control at speed, rather than just raw NPS playing. I'd wager to say most people are gonna do the latter, which would be fine if they were the only shredder there, but with more than one person having that schtick it wears thin, fast.

Plus, considering that you say the judges are accomplished guitarists (I'm assuming in shred if that's the contest they're judging), they'll see right through the kiddy "I can play fast" stuff after you play one note. Speed works on people that have never been there, not on people who have been there and done that.

You need to show that you can control yourself, that you can play fast without playing a bunch of garbage. At the same time, you gotta show that you know when to play fast, and where to break it down.

And, even if you don't wanna hear it, you really need to come up with some licks of your own to show it. It's not very original to use someone else's licks, even if they haven't been heard before. Just listen to a bunch of music, pick out little bits you like, and come up with a shred oriented lick around it, one of my favorite things to do is to take really simple stuff, and throw in some melodic runs in the spare time, in many ways, breathe life into well-trodden music. Bit of old, bit of new, lots of flash and energy.

If I were you, I wouldn't go too crazy with it, come up with a theme, be it metal, rock, pop, hippity hop, whatever, and stick with it. Don't go crazy and switch around, or throw in classical stuff (it was really neat at first, but now everyone that tries to play fast seems to do that, it seems so old to me...). I, personally, would write a majority of the solo based around pentatonics and fairly simple licks and runs, and use some sweeps, 3 NPS runs, crazy tapping, whatever, as a sort of flourish.

I hope that makes sense.

Just remember that George Lynch said the worst advice he was ever given about playing guitar was, "Dude, just shred."
Livin' Easy, Livin' Free
Quote by AngusX
I agree strongly with Edit 1, bad vibrato and bends will make the best of shredders look like absolute crap.

Now, as far as Edit 2, that's arguable, in the right circumstances it can really stand out and add to a performance, used in the wrong place, it looks like you're a retarded 5-year-old.

My advice is to come up with something that exhibits control at speed, rather than just raw NPS playing. I'd wager to say most people are gonna do the latter, which would be fine if they were the only shredder there, but with more than one person having that schtick it wears thin, fast.

Plus, considering that you say the judges are accomplished guitarists (I'm assuming in shred if that's the contest they're judging), they'll see right through the kiddy "I can play fast" stuff after you play one note. Speed works on people that have never been there, not on people who have been there and done that.

You need to show that you can control yourself, that you can play fast without playing a bunch of garbage. At the same time, you gotta show that you know when to play fast, and where to break it down.

And, even if you don't wanna hear it, you really need to come up with some licks of your own to show it. It's not very original to use someone else's licks, even if they haven't been heard before. Just listen to a bunch of music, pick out little bits you like, and come up with a shred oriented lick around it, one of my favorite things to do is to take really simple stuff, and throw in some melodic runs in the spare time, in many ways, breathe life into well-trodden music. Bit of old, bit of new, lots of flash and energy.

If I were you, I wouldn't go too crazy with it, come up with a theme, be it metal, rock, pop, hippity hop, whatever, and stick with it. Don't go crazy and switch around, or throw in classical stuff (it was really neat at first, but now everyone that tries to play fast seems to do that, it seems so old to me...). I, personally, would write a majority of the solo based around pentatonics and fairly simple licks and runs, and use some sweeps, 3 NPS runs, crazy tapping, whatever, as a sort of flourish.

I hope that makes sense.

Just remember that George Lynch said the worst advice he was ever given about playing guitar was, "Dude, just shred."

Thanks, I'm sure it took a lot to type that up. I appreciate it.
Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
Play Perpetual burn or Altitudes by jason becker

If you can play those your guaranteed to win regardless
Personally, i would write some awesome licks. If you can't, gtfo of the competition.

Nah, just kidding, but see if you can cook up some really wide interval licks and such - most people expect scalar playing from "shredders" and a nice little 4ths/5ths lick can really catch people's ears. Good luck.
Quote by Sonicxlover
You're right, that's probably the best way to win. Can you give me some good ways to get started? I can tap for long periods with both my pointer and middle finger without getting sore already.

I cant do eight finger taping (my pinkie doesn't put enough pressure on the string) very well so i use three fingers. Pointer, middle and ring

If i do it fast enough while moving my pinkie but not touching the fret it looks like 8 finger tapping and sounds bloody cool, depending where i have incorporated it.
Quote by Jimi-is-god
I cant do eight finger taping (my pinkie doesn't put enough pressure on the string) very well so i use three fingers. Pointer, middle and ring

If i do it fast enough while moving my pinkie but not touching the fret it looks like 8 finger tapping and sounds bloody cool, depending where i have incorporated it.

That's cool and everything, but how is that helpful?
Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
Wait, you have a week and you're considering 8 finger tapping?
I'm not saying you can't do it or anything, buuuuuuut I'd have to see it to believe it.
Quote by SteveHouse
This thread is officially about sucking Sleaze off for a sig.

Quote by tayroar
Hey Sleaze I'll give you a blowjob if you sig me. Maybe even some nudey photos?

Quote by crazy8rgood

Sleaze, that made me lulz in my pants.

Quote by 36mikeyb36
hahaha Sleaze i'd give you my mom for that one.
Quote by Sleaze Disease
Wait, you have a week and you're considering 8 finger tapping?
I'm not saying you can't do it or anything, buuuuuuut I'd have to see it to believe it.

I've actually learned I have until at least the 13th.
Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
Quote by Sonicxlover
That's cool and everything, but how is that helpful?

If you cant paly it flawlessly, than just use three.
Why play shawtty 8 finger tapping when, you play clean and fluent 7 finger tapping?
Depends on how good you can shred, but if you are fairly good then play with either gain at 4 to 6 with a bit of reverb, or on the clean channel. It'll impress far more than if you played with distortion and reverb on 10.
On top of that, you should always, always play with the front pick ups (pick up switch pointing towards the guitar neck). It makes anything fast sound so much more fluid and clean than on any other switch selection.
As for impressing the judges, don't go out and show them you're the guy who can jack off the guitar neck the best, show that you can hybrid pick, play classically, play some blues, change time signatures every 8 bars and improvise.
Quote by Vornik
Thanks for the advice. I'm going to put it, along with your other advice, into a book, the pages of which I will then use to wipe my ass.
I assume you're referring to the NGW Shred Off? I just won the one at the Seattle campus. The only advice I'll give is to disregard evreything people said about learning a song, it was improv, not set pieces. I'd give you more advice but I don't think it'd be fair to the other contestants.
Quote by TheShred201
I assume you're referring to the NGW Shred Off? I just won the one at the Seattle campus. The only advice I'll give is to disregard evreything people said about learning a song, it was improv, not set pieces. I'd give you more advice but I don't think it'd be fair to the other contestants.

I am! What kind of stuff did you do to win? I'm going to the CT one btw, with Paul Gilbert.
Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
I already told you that I'm don't want to give any more advice I'll tell you after your performance if you really want to know. Good luck. Just stay relaxed. Unless people in connecticut suck, then it's probably like here, where though it was a competition, people helped each other out and were very supportive/friendly. Just go up and let it rip.
Hmm, my best advice is to use both technique, But also give them something to look at! Play over the neck, use two hand tapping, Facial expressions, anything. Watch any steve Vai performance, or Herman Li for that matter, MAB had the over-under thing going on too. They all have the insane speed, but they dont just stand there. Hell, get down on your knees while you solo!

String Skipping would be cool to do, and maby make up a chord progresson and Sweep pick all the Arpeggios as the rythm section of the band (if there is a band) Plays the Chords. Be Melodic! Pauses can make or break a piece, and the notes you land on have to be Good ones. Chord tones should work, but there are other ones you can experiment with. Listen to as much music as you can, Classical, Country, Metal, you might get some really great inspiration from the most unlikely places. Use dynamics. Dont play everything f, play some thing piano, and some thing ff During fast runs, try accentuating on the beat, or on 1-3/2-4.

Thats all that i can think of, Good luck man!
Last edited by Tubyboulin at Jul 5, 2008,
Quote by Tubyboulin
Hmm, my best advice is to use both technique, But also give them something to look at! Play over the neck, use two hand tapping, Facial expressions, anything. Watch any steve Vai performance, or Herman Li for that matter, MAB had the over-under thing going on too. They all have the insane speed, but they dont just stand there. Hell, get down on your knees while you solo!

Judging is based on several categories, one of which is stage presence/preformance, so that is important.

String Skipping would be cool to do, and maby
Technique/Shred Factor is one of the judged categories, and string skipping works well there. There are also great ways to transition between areas of the fretboard/scales and such by using SS.
make up a chord progresson and Sweep pick all the Arpeggios as the rythm section of the band (if there is a band) Plays the Chords.
At times he will be playing with a band and at times not depending on how well he does. Also, he doesn't get to make the chord progression while he plays with the band, it's set beforehand
Be Melodic! Pauses can make or break a piece, and the notes you land on have to be Good ones. Chord tones should work, but there are other ones you can experiment with. Listen to as much music as you can, Classical, Country, Metal, you might get some really great inspiration from the most unlikely places. Use dynamics. Dont play everything f, play some thing piano, and some thing ff During fast runs, try accentuating on the beat, or on 1-3/2-4.

Thats all that i can think of, Good luck man!

Musicality is another judged category, so that's true as well.

Granted this is all based on how it was at the seattle campus, I don't know if it changes a bit elsewhere.
can you pm him and paste it into here, or is that unavailable while hes banned?

"The mind is its own place, and in itself

Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n"

- John Milton, Paradise Lost
You can get banned for posting for a banned person

/has been banned for sad offense.
It was instant for me but I doubt anyone will care if we just get the results of his shred contest.
TheShred201, how did you win that contest? What kind of stuff did you play?
Call me Batman.
To be honest, I don't remember EXACTLY what I did for most of it, as it was primarily improv. It was broken up into rounds. The first round was as follows: The contestants were broken into groups of four guitarists (four to be on stage at a time). There was a bassist and drummer who played throughout the various waves in the first round. At any time, 3 guitarists would play the chord progression (I BELIEVE it was just a cycle of 4 bars of Am followed by 4 bars of D). The fourth guitarist would improvise his/her solo over two sets of the progression (so Am, D, Am, D). Then they would switch to chords while the next guitarist went. Each guitarist took two solos during this section. After each wave of these was done, the judges picked the top three contestants. We then all went back on stage. Each of us played two separate two minute improvised solos with no backing. Then the order for the winners was announced.

As I said, I don't remember everything I did as it was mostly improv, but I at least touched bases with all of the various techniques I could think of (string skipping, hybrid picking, tapping, alt. picking, sweeping, etc.) while trying to do so by interjecting sections of such techniques into melodic ideas (when with the band, when alone, it was pretty much just all out shredding). I had a few worked out ideas that I used in conjunction to this that I used, such as a sweep progression to use during the band section. I had a few more little planned things to use during the solos by myself, such as a few string skipping tapping licks. I also had a few tricks for this section for the whole stage presence thing. For example, I did some left handed arpeggio shapes with the right hand muting the strings by my left (similar technique to the stuff in Satch's Mystical potato head Groove thing, but with different sweep shapes). I did some tapping stuff with my left hand coming down from on top of the neck as opposed to under it how one normally plays. Also, I did some left handed arpeggios similar to the ones above, except lifting the guitar up to create the illusion that I was sweep picking with my teeth (not a planned idea, I actually thought of that one during the competition). Fun Stuff. That's just pretty much what I remember.
Hey guys, finally back from the dead. So I didn't get to enter because the shred-off was for Rock Summit students, and I was in Rock 3. I'm an idiot. I probably wouldn't have won anyway though. The bright side was that I met Paul Gilbert and got my guitar signed by him.
Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
I think phrasing is the key here.

All shredders are fast and nobody's gonna notice if you a little faster then the next guy or even a bit slower. What they will notice, is somebody who sounds better than everybody else, not in terms of tone but in terms of what music they play and how they play it.

You really need to just play stuff that sounds cooler than what everybody else is playing.
Quote by The Spoon
Unless you're sure she likes you, telling her you like her has a 110% chance of failing.

But hey, at least you have a 10% chance of absolutely guaranteeing failure.
^^Did you even ask if you could? We had 2 students from Rock 3 in the comp in seattle....
^As mentioned, there were several categories that judging was based on, so there wasn't really one "key" thing. Musicality, technique, stage presence, tone, and something else were all factored in.