Page 1 of 2
my mate thinks that his fancy rp250 is the best distortion thing in the world, whereas i argue that a nice tube amp overdriven to the point where it clips nice and smoothly sounds alot better, if that wasnt true then Mesa wouldnt exist and line 6 would own the amp industry.

discuss.
You are generally right, depending on genre IMO.
Gear:
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez GRG170DX
Peavey Vypyr 75
Fender Princeton 650 DSP w/ Celestion 80w speaker
Why should we discuss this?

RP250 =/= best distortion ever

Overdrive =/= distortion

I have no idea what this has to do with Mesa or Line 6, quite honestly.
Quote by TheProducer
Why should we discuss this?

RP250 =/= best distortion ever

Overdrive =/= distortion

I have no idea what this has to do with Mesa or Line 6, quite honestly.

mesa make the high end tube amps built for heavy distortion whereas line 6 are reknowned for amp modelling
Plenty of people make modeling amps other than Line 6.

Plenty of people make high-end tube amps other than Mesa.
Don't be mad at your friend. Even though he's wrong (for the most part, digital distortion has it's place too), he's just new to the concept of tone.
AMP:
5150 combo
GSP1101 + Tech 21 PE60

GUITARS:
ESP LTD M-255 w/ SD Full Shred
Kramer Vanguard w/ JE-1000 active preamp
Douglas WF-150sn w/ GFS "Hot Lead" set

EFFECTS:
Bos SD-1 (boost)
AMT DT-2

My Youtube Vids http://youtube.com/user/mogar
Quote by TheProducer

they're just the most common i see i know that marshall, crate, peavey etc exist
Quote by TheProducer

True, but I think he's talking about the manufacturers that seem to be most popular.
Gear:
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez GRG170DX
Peavey Vypyr 75
Quote by metallica92
my mate thinks that his fancy rp250 is the best distortion thing in the world, whereas i argue that a nice tube amp overdriven to the point where it clips nice and smoothly sounds alot better, if that wasnt true then Mesa wouldnt exist and line 6 would own the amp industry.

discuss.

I think you made this thread just to look cool tbh.
Got on the bus with me daysavaaaa
Pedals are for modulation only is what I thought. Ask Angus Young he would tell you just crank the gain up on your Marshall JCM!!!! LOL
Quote by Friendly Stoat
True, but I think he's talking about the manufacturers that seem to be most popular.

Fair enough, but there isn't much point in discussing this because everyone in their right minds is going to say that an overdriven tube amp is better than a Digitech RP250.

Everybody.
Quote by TheProducer
Fair enough, but there isn't much point in discussing this because everyone in their right minds is going to say that an overdriven tube amp is better than a Digitech RP250.

Everybody.

Haha, you are right.
Gear:
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez GRG170DX
Peavey Vypyr 75
Quote by Friendly Stoat

yeah, i'm pretty sure TS is just pointing out what he can think of at the moment, as an example, instead of listing out EVERY AMP COMPANY...
O O

___
Quote by weemansyndrome
I think you made this thread just to look cool tbh.

i think you suck hairy mans penis. how is making a thread about something I KNOW and AMZINGLY OBVIOUS gonna make me cool? i made it to prove a point and i have sent him the link.
Quote by metallica92
i think you suck hairy mans penis. how is making a thread about something I KNOW and AMZINGLY OBVIOUS gonna make me cool? i made it to prove a point and i have sent him the link.

It's because you made a painfully obvious statement in this thread and asked us to discuss it. You can't discuss it. It's true. You didn't even ask a question.
Quote by TheProducer
It's because you made a painfully obvious statement in this thread and asked us to discuss it. You can't discuss it. It's true. You didn't even ask a question.

whatever man i was just looking for some UG backup.
Quote by metallica92

If I wanted a comeback I would scrape it off your teeth.
Got on the bus with me daysavaaaa
Quote by weemansyndrome

yeah you can have your moms pubes back
being the "friend" in question it is an RP350 not 250. Also i would like to correct my statement. I said that the distortion on pedals is better than that on amps. not overdrive. distortion. also i would like to say i am not new to tone, being in music for a very long times i have very musically sensitive ears. I officially realise my mistake and i am sorry for being wrong (not that any1 has ever been wrong b4). Also, if amps were better than fx pedals, then why do all the pros who have unlimied budgets (nearly) use them...

ps. at least i can stay in time
Quote by metallica92

I really hope they delete this thread when they ban you so you can't even send him the link.
Quote by aznmetalhead93
Opinions. Opinions. Opinions.

Exactly. If it sounds good to him let him think so.
Quote by Jizkid Jnr
being the "friend" in question it is an RP350 not 250. Also i would like to correct my statement. I said that the distortion on pedals is better than that on amps. not overdrive. distortion. also i would like to say i am not new to tone, being in music for a very long times i have very musically sensitive ears. I officially realise my mistake and i am sorry for being wrong (not that any1 has ever been wrong b4). Also, if amps were better than fx pedals, then why do all the pros who have unlimied budgets (nearly) use them...

ps. at least i can stay in time

I'm very proud that you can keep in time.

And the majority of pros who use pedals don't use Digitech Multi-effects pedals, so that means nothing.
*facepalm*

Making 'your mum/mom/whatever' jokes over the internet is neither big nor clever. TS fails.
Gear:
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez GRG170DX
Peavey Vypyr 75
Quote by TheProducer
I'm very proud that you can keep in time.

And the majority of pros who use pedals don't use Digitech Multi-effects pedals, so that means nothing.

agreed i have nothing against pedals, i'm really set on getting an MXR overdrive and a good wah pedal
Last edited by metallica92 at Jun 27, 2008,
Quote by metallica92

Some one is obviously mature.

Again, as someone stated before, it's all opinion and whatever the person who's playing likes.
Quote by RoamingConflict
In Soviet Russia, GAS deals with you.

Quote by Lumiere Rouge
A reviewer on Amazon.com reviewing an album by the band "HiM", said that HiM is "fag metal".
Can someone explain to me what is this sub genre of fag metal? I have never heard it before.
Quote by weemansyndrome

BURN
Quote by candysars
Thank you Jesusaurus.
I'm thirsty.

Time for some *reportade*
Quote by jakstar
lolz i like the tube amps with a distortion pedal. IMO its the best sound

agreed. wots that i hear? and ibanez ts808? well they were crap were'nt they... (sarcasm)

do we agree that a distortion pedal through a tube can sound just as good if not better than just the amp itself?
Last edited by Jizkid Jnr at Jun 28, 2008,
Quote by Jizkid Jnr
agreed. wots that i hear? and ibanez ts808? well they were crap were'nt they... (sarcasm)

do we agree that a distortion pedal through a tube can sound just as good if not better than just the amp itself?

shutup, you're the person who thinks overdrive isn't distortion, overdrive is whats called soft clipping i.e when the gain is inversely proportional to the input signal level, what guitarists call distortion is hard clipping when its given a limited rang. To add many guitarists use pedals to DRIVE an amp to distort by setting the level to near max NOT adding gain.

i didn't say tubescreamers were any bad I said digital modulation is crap compared to the real thing. and everyone agrees. go back to playing stairway to heaven and smoke on the water n00b.
Last edited by metallica92 at Jun 28, 2008,
My mate thinks guitar made of plywood are good, but I like guitars made of mahogany, alder and basswood. Otherwise PRS, Fender and Gibson wouldn't exist and Encore would own the guitar industry.

Discuss.
Page 1 of 2