I've recently taken on a new guitar student and I have a small problem. I don't know what to teach him.

He's got a pretty decent skill level for how long he's been playing, just a few months. He really likes AC/DC, as well as Guns N' Roses and Black Sabbath. However, the first thing I really gave him was "Seek & Destroy" by Metallica, which he liked a lot. However, the next song I gave him was "Title & Registration" by Death Cab for Cutie, a song he didn't seem to like so much, but he did find difficult, which was the point. However, I'd like to teach him something he wants to play.

Now, I am totally fine with teaching him how to play Black Sabbath and AC/DC songs, except for one thing. His father doesn't want me to teach him certain things, especially songs pertaining to the Devil. So I don't really know what to teach. My next thought was some simple Led Zeppelin songs, but the next thing in his range of skill level as far as I know is Whole Lotta Love, a very boring song to learn. Help!?
Fender '72 Telecaster Deluxe Reissue -> Korg Pitchblack Tuner -> Boss PS-5 -> EHX Big Muff -> MXR EVH Phase 90 -> Menatone Pleasure Trem 5000 -> Line 6 Verbzilla -> MXR Carbon Copy -> Boss RC-2 -> Peavey Classic 50
Dude What AC/DC, Black Sabbath are both the devils music you heathen no lol man

uh
one- Metallica

what genre are you really looking for
Rock, Metal, Alternative
Chances are if he's just a fan of metal and likes that genre, he's not going to know a great deal about the messages behind the lyrics - maybe play the songs you're planning to teach to his Dad to get 'approval' first?
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Most Black Sabbath has absolutely nothing to do with satan...the only thing I can think of that is actually related to satan is Black Sabbath (the song) and most of that is describing terrible fear of satan. Teach him Sabbath Bloody Sabbath or some of Tony Iommi's solo stuff; very sabbath-esque but tends to be more about presonal problems...you'll need to downtune a bit though.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Marilyn Manson is good....Slayer...Dimmu Borgir.... anything worth teaching to a kid whos parents are assholes like that
Total Failure

If every dream is a wish, then to dream of zombies is to wish for an appetite without responsibility
um why has nobody else told him to teach him theory? Learning songs does not really make you get any better
Teach him some Darkness songs. Not too devilish...just shy away from things like One Way Ticket to Hell (and Back).
Why does his dad not want him learning the guitar part to "satanic" music?
And anyways, you should try to convince the dad to let his kid play what the kid wants.
Or teach some "less Satanic" songs by those bands, if possibly
Gear:
Epiphone G-400 Ebony
Line-6 UberMetal, EchoPark
Boss RC-2 Loop Station
Traynor YCV50Blue, Bass Mate 25, Guitar Mate 15
Why are you teaching him songs? Its pretty easy to get tabs by himself, you should teach him theory so he can make up his own solos.

Also unless this kid is also doing vocals how does playing the guitar have to do with the devil.
Any Immortal or Mayhem
Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Dean Razorback Explosion

Amps:
Peavey ValveKing 112

Effects:
BOSS ME-50
Metal Muff
Quote by bWsWwrestler
um why has nobody else told him to teach him theory? Learning songs does not really make you get any better

The point is to teach him songs that use techniques which he hasn't learned yet. That way it's fun and he's learning. Theory doesn't actually teach your body how to do it, it just helps your mind understand what your body is doing. Both are good, but for beginners you need to keep them interested and theory GENERALLY isn't the way to go about it (just add it in slowly as you go along, not piles up front).
Quote by Copilot911
Also unless this kid is also doing vocals how does playing the guitar have to do with the devil.

The dreaded tritone! Diabolis en Musica! Seriously; you're right though.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Yngwi3
Chances are if he's just a fan of metal and likes that genre, he's not going to know a great deal about the messages behind the lyrics - maybe play the songs you're planning to teach to his Dad to get 'approval' first?

This was my thought I suppose, but it's rather tedious. Are there any just kind of classic standard rock songs I could teach him? My method was to teach him how I was taught, but that includes many things like Sabbath and Metallica, most especially early on, so I can't exactly go like that with him. My other thoughts were some Green Day to get him accenting rhythms and doing rakes (Like in Brain Stew), but yeah.

Also, I know Sabbath isn't really talking about the devil that much, but that's not how his father will see it.
Fender '72 Telecaster Deluxe Reissue -> Korg Pitchblack Tuner -> Boss PS-5 -> EHX Big Muff -> MXR EVH Phase 90 -> Menatone Pleasure Trem 5000 -> Line 6 Verbzilla -> MXR Carbon Copy -> Boss RC-2 -> Peavey Classic 50
Quote by Copilot911
Why are you teaching him songs? Its pretty easy to get tabs by himself, you should teach him theory so he can make up his own solos.

Yes. As a teacher, you should also teach him some theory to show him the "why" as well as the "how". Start with some scales.
AMP:
5150 combo
GSP1101 + Tech 21 PE60

GUITARS:
ESP LTD M-255 w/ SD Full Shred
Kramer Vanguard w/ JE-1000 active preamp
Douglas WF-150sn w/ GFS "Hot Lead" set

EFFECTS:
Bos SD-1 (boost)
AMT DT-2

My Youtube Vids http://youtube.com/user/mogar
Well just go for older classic rock things like Led Zep, Cream, Derek & the Dominoes and all that kind of thing, just avoid Sabbath and possibly other bands that have been associated with the whole "devil worship" thing; I would avoid arguing with the father, he could decide to take his child somewhere more acommodating to learn guitar.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Maybe you should try exposing him to different genres of music. Maybe some blues or jazz?

Just a suggestion.
Quote by Flow of soul
Maybe you should try exposing him to different genres of music. Maybe some blues or jazz?

Just a suggestion.

This was already my thought, but I don't want to put him off in lessons, so I want him to play the kind of music he already likes.

Also, everyone telling me to teach him music theory, you people are retarded.

Quote by mattvl
The point is to teach him songs that use techniques which he hasn't learned yet. That way it's fun and he's learning... for beginners you need to keep them interested and theory GENERALLY isn't the way to go about it (just add it in slowly as you go along, not piles up front).

That guy has it spot on. For now, the first mode of the pentatonic will do.
Stupid question, how does the father find guitar playing related to the devil. Its not like you're teaching him vocals.
Quote by Demonazzz
I prefer barbed wire strings. I find I can get the most br00t41 tonez with it.
I recommend TNT and Thunderstruck by ACDC, easy to learn, easy to teach, easy to play, fun. It'll make him think that he's accomplished alot at the end of the lesson too.
The kid learns the songs, but then also listens to them on the radio or youtube and sings I guess. Anyway, yeah, TNT sounds like a good idea. Thunderstruck may still be too hard for him.