I don't know much theory, but I wrote a nice song on the piano a couple days ago. I'm about to show my band, and all of the chords need to be in the same key for the band. The chords I'm using are F, C, and Bb. Are these all in the same key? If not can you tell me which one(s) isn't/aren't? Thanks a ton! I mite post it if we record it. When I play it, it sounds ok to me, I just need to know for sure.
Obama '08
yes, they are in the key of F major.
F = I
Bb = IV
C = V

why does it even matter though? if they sound good, then use them. simple.
also, this is in the wrong forum, try Musician Talk next time

reported.
Yes they are, they are in the key of F.

F major triad: F A C

Bb major triad: Bb D F

C major triad: C E G

F major has all the notes natural except for Bb, therefore, your progression is in F major, because the notes of the chord fits the keys.
Last edited by confusius at Jun 27, 2008,
Quote by confusius
Yes they are, they are in the key of F.

F major triad: F A D

Bb major triad: Bb D F

C major triad: C E G

F major has all the notes natural except for Bb, therefore, your progression is in F major, because the notes of the chord fits the keys.

I think you mean f major triad: F A C not d
Dan The Man Of the Australia FTW! Club. PM Alter-Bridge or The_Random_Hero to join. Australians Only

Gear Fund 1000/ ???

Yes his name is Dan
Indeed I do. I've made that sort of mistake twice today. I translate from spanish Do Re Mi Fa Sol La Si Do and muck up the the letter note names.
Quote by cubs
yes, they are in the key of F major.
F = I
Bb = IV
C = V

why does it even matter though? if they sound good, then use them. simple.
also, this is in the wrong forum, try Musician Talk next time

reported.

Sorry

Everybody thanks for the help!!!!!!!!!
Obama '08
Quote by fizzypopgurl
Sorry

Everybody thanks for the help!!!!!!!!!

Just so you know, that I-IV-V motion is a common progression in a major key; it sounds good to you and a lot of other people.