ive brought my new guitar in 3 times and the people at the store cannot seem to tune it to drop C. they also think i need to put 12 gauge strings on if i want to play standard d. ive worked on my guitar myself and managed to get it into standard D. i have frett buzz and want to put it in drop c but when i do that i seem to get this weird noise from the top of the neck on my high E string

please help me
GEAR
Jackson RR3 Crimson Swirl
Zoom G2
Zoom 505 II
Spider III 120W
Ovation 30th anniversary edition
Yamaha EG112
i always do everything myself...explain your question again?
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Better than hooked on crack, I suppose. I'd rather know my kids are safe at home beating their meat than out in the world robbing old women for their crack fix.

Quote by *sigh*
What a huge coincidence. I have a butthole also.
Sounds like the action's too low at the top of the neck. If possible, try replacing the nut and only filing a shallow groove into the new one. It should give you high enough clearance at the first few frets.

Ibanez S470
Laney HCM30R
Digitech GNX3000
Quote by bi-ah!
i always do everything myself...explain your question again?

how do i get rid of the the fret buzz when im playing standard d. also, what is the proper method to loosening the spring tension
GEAR
Zoom G2
Zoom 505 II
Spider III 120W
Yamaha EG112
It's very simple: go into the shop, tell the tech what gauge strings you want and in what tuning and if he says anything tell him you're the customer, you know what you want and he should do it and be grateful for the custom. It's their job to set up your guitar, not tell you how you like it.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by MattRR3
how do i get rid of the the fret buzz when im playing standard d. also, what is the proper method to loosening the spring tension

Assuming said guitar has a locking trem, open the cover on the back of the guitar. You'll see the springs attached to an assembly screwed into the guitar body. Screw these in or out until the bridge becomes level.

Ibanez S470
Laney HCM30R
Digitech GNX3000
get a thicker gauge string to even out the truss rod. its probably bent back.
Gear
Ibanez RG2EX2
Epiphone Les Paul
Fender Strat
Homemade EVH
Marshall JCM 800 Combo

Quote by freshtunes
its not so much that i feel guilty about masturbating, its the things that i masturbate to that make me feel guilty.
If you can not handle this problem by yourself then you are in no position to call a guitar tech stupid.

With a basic knowledge of guitar setup, you can put on any reasonable gauge of strings and tune them to any reasonable tuning with small adjustments of the bridge and truss rod. If you have a crappy guitar you may need a new nut and/or bridge components.
Survivor of the St. John's Lockdown
Quote by SG thrasher

The thread-starter is a legend.
Seriously, who thinks "Shit, i'm gonna die, BRB, Ima' tell UG."?

Quote by The_Paranoia

Congratz man, you are a true, American Hero.
Go Schneiderman!

Gun Facts: Educate Yourself
Quote by Schneiderman
If you can not handle this problem by yourself then you are in no position to call a guitar tech stupid.

With a basic knowledge of guitar setup, you can put on any reasonable gauge of strings and tune them to any reasonable tuning with small adjustments of the bridge and truss rod. If you have a crappy guitar you may need a new nut and/or bridge components.

for some reason this seemed really funny to me
Quote by pedaler466
Shreadhead22 had nothing helpful to say to me. He just immediatly started being a prick.

Quote by Yngwi3
Shredhead's advice is the best in the thread.

-Mesa Roadster
-Mesa 4x12
-'93 Gibby LP studio
-535q
-CE5/DD-220
-TS9dx
-EB volume
-Shure Wireless
i fixed everything except i still hear a noise when i play my high e string, i doubt its the nuts the guitar is brand new
GEAR
Zoom G2
Zoom 505 II
Spider III 120W
Yamaha EG112
Yes you do need heavier strings to drop tune 2 steps. Maybe its not the guys at the store. You want em to set a FR guitar to drop tune 2 steps with what 10s? FRs are picky about tunings and spring tension.