So I have just learned the song Hurry Up by Paul Gilbert, but the only thing I have trouble doing is the parts where he mutes the string and get this weird harmonics. He does it in many of his songs, in Curse Of Castle Dragon for example. How does he get that sound, is he using an effect or is it all in the hands? :P
C4C
Please check out some of my original music and leave me a comment @ SoundCloud
(or in my profile!)

Progressive|Thrash|Math|Metal
I reckon it's phase and muted strings.
Call me Batman.
Can you give us a rough time in the song? I'm not sure what you mean right now...
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Can you give us a rough time in the song? I'm not sure what you mean right now...

0:48 in COCD.

Thanks for the replies. Going to try it out now :P

Yup, worked perfectly with Phaser and muting strings! Thanks! (I would try with flanger as well, but the flanger on my PODxt sucks major ass)
C4C
Please check out some of my original music and leave me a comment @ SoundCloud
(or in my profile!)

Progressive|Thrash|Math|Metal
Last edited by BlisteringDDj at Jun 27, 2008,
I don't own a phaser, but something I do when playing his songs is to run a finger down the neck playing different harmonics with quick downstrokes. I saw Steve Morse doing it, and it fits really well in the context of the song.
"It is always advisable to be a loser if you cannot become a winner." - Frank Zappa

The name's Garrett.

Gear and stuff:
Taylor 310
American Strat w/ Texas Specials
Ibanez JS1000
Vox Wah (true bypass & LED mod)
Dr. Z Maz 18 JR NR
Quote by :-D
The little weird sound in COCD is a combination of flanger and tapping the pick on the strings between the pickups.

+1
i also think all he does is pretty much mute the strings and move his hand up the fretboard to get the pitch higher
"You take the blue pill , the story ends here, you wake up and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red pill you stay in wonderland and I'll show you just how deep the rabbit hole goes."
- Morpheus

#3 of Tom Cruise Scares me club.
No, he does use the phaser. I've seen videos of him where he explains his gear and demonstrates it. However, I can't afford one, so I just do what fits well.
"It is always advisable to be a loser if you cannot become a winner." - Frank Zappa

The name's Garrett.

Gear and stuff:
Taylor 310
American Strat w/ Texas Specials
Ibanez JS1000
Vox Wah (true bypass & LED mod)
Dr. Z Maz 18 JR NR