Hey to all, I am not sure if this is the right sub-forum but anyway.

My question is about modes,

C Ionian C D E F G A B C
D Dorian D E F G A B C D

here I see that these two modes contain the same notes, so how do they sound different during the solo?

for example when I start to solo with the 2nd note from c ionian and another one starts to solo with the 1th note from d dorian then we will sound like we are playing the same thing.Isnt it so?
I think they only sound different when different chords are accompanying them like maggot said. ^
But also when you end with the C Ionian, it will sound distinctly different than if you end with the D Dorian. I never understood why people catagorize them so much to be honest, they will sound relatively similar to me and play in a very similar fashion (unless you are playing a section that just runs through the notes in the exact order). But then again, I bet there is someone who can correct me on that...
You should be comparing C Ionian and C Dorian. If you compare any relative modes, the notes are obviously gonna be the same. C Ionian, D Dorian, E Phyrgian, F Lydian , G Myxolydian, A Aeolian, B Locrian all have the same notes. The spacing between the notes is what makes it different.
1992 Ibanez S540 sol
1988? Kramer Pacer Mutt