No. Well, it really depends on your personal preferance. Great tone comes from comfortable fingers. 9's or 10's isn't just a huge jump.. its all you.

If by Metal you mean downtuned a bit, 11's are pretty great.

If standard tuning, Ernie Ball Regular Slinky .010 gauge are my faves
Quote by Deep*Kick
why do you need to have ur amp flat bickie in your house if you are just practicing is what i'm wondering? Of course it's bad for every1's hearing

Rig:
Ibanez Xiphos7 w/ Blackouts -or- ESPh307->MXR ZW-44-> Peavey 6505+

7/ERG Legion
on my LTD i use dean markley 12-56 with a wound g, its hard to shred but its gets me clear tone
There not heavy enough for metal, they will be too slack and loose or easy sounding. I don't think slinkies sound that great imo. If you play Led Zeppelin, The Doors or Pink Floyd (enormous bends) then I would suggest small gauge strings such as those, but metal, it needs more punch and grit. Something that can be found in heavier gauge strings such as 0.10's and 0.11's. And when you become better, i'd then suggest stepping up again in dimention.
Quote by herman ri2
strings for metal? *facepalm*

Metal can be played on any strings....

BS!
Metal can only be played if you have a wound high E and are tuned to Drop Q Flat.
Epiphone Les Paul goldtop (EMG 81/85)
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Fender Telecaster MIM
Epiphone SG Special
Jay Turser JT200 Serpent (GFS Crunchy Rails/Crunchy Pat)
Dean V-Coustic
Ovation Celebrity
Bugera 333-212
Crate Blue Voodoo 120H
I don't think it won't make too much of a difference when you have a generous amount of distortion, which you will if you're playing metal.
Besides being a guitar player, I'm a big fan of the guitar. I love that damn instrument. Steve Vai

Gear:
Kramer Striker FR422SM
Roland Microcube
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Tortex 1.14mm picks

MY VIDEOS
Quote by truespin
BS!
Metal can only be played if you have a wound high E and are tuned to Drop Q Flat.

your joke = sucked.
Quote by herman ri2
your joke = sucked.

Your sense of humor=Sucky.

he made a pretty valid point, that everyone feels metal has to be played on thick strings and dropped or low tunings
Guitars-LEFTY
Bernie Rico Jr. Custom Jekyll
Schecter ATX
Schecter Tempest Cust.
Ibanez GIO
Amps
Laney VH100R-Sell/Trade?? pm me
Cube 15
Misc.
THD HOT plate Attentuator and other stuff
Last edited by Krzy8 at Jun 27, 2008,
Quote by Krzy8
Your sense of humor=Sucky.

he made a pretty valid point, that everyone feels metal has to be played on thick strings and dropped or low tunings

You + STFU n00b = lolz

Metal doesn't have to be anything to do with strings.

so, just no.

BTW, SRV played .13s so everyone feels that he should be playing lead guitar for Necrophagist?
Last edited by herman ri2 at Jun 27, 2008,
any music can be played on any strings. i use .09-.46 i am totally happy with them. there is nothing wrong with that and it doesn't make anyone who uses small guitar strings less of a guitarist than another that uses .13. the only reason why anyone should use thick strings is if you play a lot of low tunings and never really go to standard because doing bends like david gilmour on .13 strings at standard tuning is not easy