Ok so i have a Dean Michael Schenker Standard V and I wanna do a lot of work on it but im not sure how hard it would be to do, how expensive it would be and if it'd sound good or not. I've posted tings before about different things on the V but i didnt get many responses and i've changed a few ideas.

Here's what i wanna do to it:
change pickups (low-end stock deans to EMG 81s)
completely re-wire (for EMGs, old wires are bad)
add battery compartment (for EMGs)
maybe add stopbar tailpiece (string-thru w/ v plate now)
add ebony fretboard (rosewood now)

idk how much all of that would cost, i know that EMG 81s are $105 a piece, i found an ebony fingerboard on some site for $31 uncut but thats all i know. and i dont trust myself with changing things im too paranoid about breaking something or messing it up, especially with this one, so im thinking about getting the majority if not all of it professionally done.
so is this worth it and how good would it sound?
"Would you tell Picasso to sell his guitars?" - Jack Black

Quote by Lt. Shinysides

my dick is generally better than yours, and is more pleasing to look at and hold.
your dick understands and accepts this, and is willing to just move on.
unless you are very skilled with guitar work, you changing the fretboard from rosewood to ebony wont come out nicely....

how about just dying your rosewood fretboard ebony?
My gear!
ESP LTD M-100FM
Custom RR style Flying V
Custom ESP Explorer (in the making!)
Vox AD30VT
Dunlop Crybaby, Deltalab Md-1, rd 1, Morley optical Volume
i wouldn't recommend changing fret boards it will go badly lol best to get a new neck depending on how yours is attached if i were you id just upgrade the pickups, i dont think the stop bar idea will work very well as you dont know whats under the plate :P

edit dying your fret board would be a much better idea as guy above me said
Last edited by rancidryan at Jun 28, 2008,
I've seen inside the Dean Vs, there should be room for a battery, it's quite spacey in there.
lol... 105 a piece for EMG's!

i got a pair for 100 buddy, CRAIGSLIST FTW!

seriously, though, check it up, you WILL save money. =)
------

Shwiggity.
i agree, changing the fretboard is very difficult and comes with a pretty low success rate if you've never done it before. if you really want to, buy a cheap ebay neck and try doing it on that first, if it goes well, then go for it, if not then i wouldn't bother.

and imo that v tailpiece looks so much better than a stopbar ever would on that v, i say keep it. plus if you do a stopbar, you'll have six ferrules on the back of you guitar for no reason.
Get an 81/60 combo instead or dual 81s.
Do the 18V mod to both
Keep the V tailpiece.
Scallop and dye the fretboard instead of trying to change to ebony.
Please do not insinuate anything sexual from that.

Quote by cobain_is_king
If your friends don't like your guitar, cover it in stickers and it'll be teh rawks!
Quote by deftonesordie
lol... 105 a piece for EMG's!

i got a pair for 100 buddy, CRAIGSLIST FTW!

seriously, though, check it up, you WILL save money. =)

haha i never thought about checking craigslist for em, i just looked up guitar center and local stores for their price
"Would you tell Picasso to sell his guitars?" - Jack Black

Quote by Lt. Shinysides

my dick is generally better than yours, and is more pleasing to look at and hold.
your dick understands and accepts this, and is willing to just move on.