I have a Squier Stratocaster and a Fender Frontman 15 W amp, and was thinking about getting a new amp. I play rock, hard rock, classic rock, and I guess some metal. I started a thread about distortion/over drive pedals, and everyone said to get a tube amp, so I started looking and they are very expensive. Someone said that Craig's List was the way to go. I came across this Epiphone Valve Standard, http://stlouis.craigslist.org/msg/727924848.html , and saw nothing but good reviews and praise, and everyone said I should get it. Then suddenly everyone started telling me to get the Peavey Classic 30 Amp. The Epiphone Valve Standard is originally $300, priced at $200 on Craig's List. The Peavey Classic 30 Amp is $125 more, and it took me a while just to get the $200 for the Epiphone Valve Standard. I also want an amp that takes pedals well, meaning that pedals sound good on it. My price range is $200-$250, possibly $300 if it's a really good amp and a really good deal. The amps on this page are in my price range: http://stlouis.craigslist.org/search/msg?query=amp&minAsk=min&maxAsk=325

The amp also needs to be loud enough to gig in a small theater, club, auditorium or a gym. Everyone said that a 15 Watt tube amp is plenty loud. To give you another idea of what kind of music I play, here are a few of the songs my band will cover is our next gig.

1. Pork and Beans-Weezer
2. Blue Orchid-The White Stripes
3. Hate to Say I Told You So-The Hives
4. Crazy Train-Ozzy Osbourne
5. Either Love Train or Joker and the Thief-Wolf Mother
Dude, just play them and decide which one is the best for you...

I already told you that the Valve Standard is a good amp, as is the Palomino that is 250 in your link.

If you can find a Classic 30 in that range, get it. If you can't, which you probably won't, get one of the 15 watters, or wait some more for a V32 or a V33 to come around.

Either way, it's ultimately up to you.
I own a classic 30, and I love it, I play actually that kinda stuff on it sometimes too, pulls out great, it's not as crunchy as some of those bands, but it will do great if you get a tubescreamer or something like that.
If Rock is a lifestyle, then Metal's an addiction

"People don't kill people with giant boulders"
"They will if you take away their assault rifles"

Quote by Gee-tar-eist
I wouldnt give a ****, i would gladly play music for people to steal it!
I havn't heard the valve std but the peavey classic 30 is a damn good amp for its price. People don't think it can do metal but trust me if you crank it with everything in full, it can definitly do a decent job of it. Havn't heard it with a tube screamer in front of it but definitly could do the trick. If you can save up even more you can get an engl screamer 50 which is what i have and it can pull off anything from jazz to death metal, yes even death metal IMO.
If you can't wait for that C-30, one of those Palominos is a good choice. I live close enough to St. Louis I might just snatch up that Marshall 1965A for myself.
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
Quote by newbienewbie
Alright, Epiphone Valve Standard vs. Crate V16 Palomino, who wins!?!?!?!?!??!?!!?

Whichever one you can get cheaper.
I've heard that the Palomino will handle harder music better. but, try em both see which one you like.
Gibson SG Standard
Cort Explorer
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

I can get the Epiphone Valve Standard for $200 and the Palomino for $250. Let's say I play Metal. Now which one wins?
Palomino for me, I've heard Epi's are more blues oriented
Gibson SG Standard
Cort Explorer
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Quote by newbienewbie
I can get the Epiphone Valve Standard for $200 and the Palomino for $250. Let's say I play Metal. Now which one wins?

Neither because neither can give a real metal tone without serious help.

They are both vintage voiced. The main difference is that the VS is American voiced and the Palomino is British voiced.

I would go for the VS, because I like it more. The only way to decide is to either use your wallet or your ears as the deciding factor.
Do you think Guitar Center would carry both of those amps so I can go try them out before I buy one of them?
They might have them, but probably not. Try one of your local shops, they might carry them.

You might have to do some leg work, though
Quote by newbienewbie
What do you mean by that?

Look around many different shops to try them side by side.

You can also call and ask if you can test the amps from the sellers.
Classicrocker01, when you say that you've heard that the Palomino will handle harder music better, do you mean it can play hard rock or metal music, or that it can play difficult music?
Like metal and hard rock. That is, with a pedal, which both will need.
Gibson SG Standard
Cort Explorer
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Of course either will need an OD/distortion pedal. But I need some help. Some sources I researched say the Palomino is bluesier but other sources say that the Epiphone Valve Stand is bluesier. But did you say that the Palomino is more British voiced? Keep in mind that the Palomino that I would buy would be one of the made in the U.S.A. models. By the way, I want the one the is less bluesy and can play hard rock.
^Either way, it's (the Palomino) is british voiced. If you want the less bluesy one, get the Palomino.
I think this will make up your mind: http://youtube.com/watch?v=sQSjlM5ZXdw
Gibson SG Standard
Cort Explorer
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

I have actually seen that video before. When he does his tribute to "metal fans" he plays a pretty metal sounding riff, but the solo is all out bluesy to me.
Also, at the end of the video he says that the Palomino is suited really well for Blues/Classic-Rock, A.K.A. not what I want, well I could use the classic rock just not so much the blues.
The solo just sounds bluesy cause he played it bluesy.
Gibson SG Standard
Cort Explorer
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

i prefer the blusey sound of the peavey i reckon, does anyone know if the peavey amp can do metal with a decent pedal?
My Beginner setup:
Ibanez rg321mh
Roland Micro cube
Yes, it can. Very well.
Gibson SG Standard
Cort Explorer
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Ive thought about getting that exact Palomino.. St. Lou Represent!
Vox Valvetronix AD15VT
Line 6 Spider III 15W
Peavey Generation EXP Single Coils
1997 Epiphone SG Junior
2007 Ibanez RG120
Quote by newbienewbie
Classicrocker01, when you say that you've heard that the Palomino will handle harder music better, do you mean it can play hard rock or metal music, or that it can play difficult music?

you were kidding right?

07 Fender American Deluxe Strat
07 Fender Custom Telecaster
09 Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Yeh the SICK! bit sounds a bit stupid.

At first I knew what he meant, but I was taken aback because I honestly thought the Palomino was not a metal amp so I tried to convince myself that he meant something else.