I was reading this interview of one of my favorite bass played (Jesse Keeler) and he said this:

"Instead of stimulating output with preamp gain or a pedal, I prefer to get maximum output from the instrument. I rewired the Rickenbacker so that nothing impedes the pickup’s signal." (the full article is here ).

He had a monsterous bass tone that I love. If you haven't heard it, here's him playing:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAOuH-0CqPA&feature=related

okay so here's where I'm getting at: I know a lot of his sound comes from cranking his 2 amps up and getting amp distortion, but if I rewired my pickups the same way, would I get anywhere closer to his tone? And if so, I know nothing about rewiring pickups, so how hard would it be to rewire it so nothing impedes the pickup's signal?

Thanks
All he did was remove the tone control and the neck pickup so only the bridge pickup and volume control were connected (I could be wrong on the volume control, but I'm fairly sure I've seen him use it)

If you want to sound like JFK then there are a lot of things that would make a much bigger difference (or actually any difference )

In my not-particularly-considered opinion, the important things are his technique and playing style, his distortion sound and his chorus effect.

At some point I'll write an article about his gear and style.
Last edited by smb at Jun 27, 2008,
wait...
so if i remove the tone control in my bass would that change the sound? or it will sound the same than put the tone pot at max?
My Gear

Squier VM p-bass(i chosed it over a fender!!!) with quarter pounder and gotoh 201!!
fender MIM P bass
epiphone SG 400
Quote by litus
wait...
so if i remove the tone control in my bass would that change the sound? or it will sound the same than put the tone pot at max?

It would barely change the bass's output.
That's all.
Quote by brandooon
Buy both pickups. Rub icyhot on both of them. Sandwich your penis between them and walk to the nearest homeless shelter with your brand new icyhot penis sandwich.
Quote by litus
wait...

It would sound a little brighter than a tone pot at max.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.