Hello there.

Lately I've been hearing the best place for the thumb on your fretting hand is behind the neck, and not reaching over the neck.

Here's the problem. When I try that, I can't play for more than ten seconds without it starting to hurt quite a bit. If I stick my thumb over like I'm hitchhiking, it's a lot better though.

What am I doing wrong?
When you saw me sleeping
thought I was dreaming
of you...

I didn't tell you
That the only dream
Is Valium for me
nothing

just do what is more comfortable

there is no wrong way to play guitar just wrong ways to play music
Quote by marshmellow666
nothing

just do what is more comfortable

there is no wrong way to play guitar just wrong ways to play music

It's actually very bad technique, IMO. You are probably pressing against the neck of the guitar with your thumb, which is why you must stop after a few seconds. Have your thumb relaxed and apply just enough pressure on it to keep it flush with the wood.

EDIT: And remember to keep your hand parallel with the neck of the guitar.
"It is always advisable to be a loser if you cannot become a winner." - Frank Zappa

The name's Garrett.

Gear and stuff:
Taylor 310
American Strat w/ Texas Specials
Ibanez JS1000
Vox Wah (true bypass & LED mod)
Dr. Z Maz 18 JR NR
Last edited by Iron_Dude at Jun 27, 2008,
Quote by Iron_Dude
It's actually very bad technique, IMO. You are probably pressing against the neck of the guitar with your thumb, which is why you must stop after a few seconds. Have your thumb relaxed and apply just enough pressure on it to keep it flush with the wood.

EDIT: And remember to keep your hand parallel with the neck of the guitar.

I've tried to relax it, but it won't stay relaxed no matter how long I try to keep it that way. If I start playing anything with moderate speed it goes back and starts to hurt again.
When you saw me sleeping
thought I was dreaming
of you...

I didn't tell you
That the only dream
Is Valium for me
Quote by Td_Nights
I've tried to relax it, but it won't stay relaxed no matter how long I try to keep it that way. If I start playing anything with moderate speed it goes back and starts to hurt again.

I understand where you are coming from but, you have to fight it. Focus on the muscles you use for fretting (Ex. shoulder, biceps, forearm, triceps) and notice even the slightest increase in tension and relax it. Eventually, usually about 2-3 weeks, you wont have to think about it as hard and soon after that you won't tense up at all.
There's really nothing wrong with either method. Some people have huge thumbs and have the natural ability to stick their thumb over. I myself, cannot do this without my joints/bones hurting and I'm not going to try and stretch/exercise that. You can do just fine with your thumb behind the neck.
█████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████
Portugal. The Man »–
Quote by Freepower
Try looking at my posture lesson vid - 5 in my sig. Tell me if that helps any.

I'm starting to think you're a robot.

I already watched it. You told me to after I PMed you, remember? anyway, it's still not feeling right and hurts. I've got decently large hands. My reachers with my thumb behind the neck are farther and I like that, I just can't play like that.
When you saw me sleeping
thought I was dreaming
of you...

I didn't tell you
That the only dream
Is Valium for me
It almost sounds like you are putting a 'kink' in your wrist; thats the only way I can see it hurting. I don't know how you 'wear' the guitar, but try and raise the neck higher to change the angle of your hand to forearm. I was always taught that thumb behind the neck is the correct way, it's to ensure that your fingers are contacting the strings perpendicular for the cleanest sound as well as giving you enough reach from low 'e' to high 'e' quickly and clean. Personally my hand changes constantly based on what i'm playing from my thumb wrapped around the neck to my thumb down around the high 'e' on the back of the neck. Anymore I don't think about it a whole lot unless i'm practising something new.
Gibson ES335
Ibanez RG370DXGP
Ibanez SA Series
Fender Acoustic
Marshall JCM800 1-12 split channel
Put it where you feel comfortable. Practice with it on the back of the neck as well though, because there are times you will need to use that position for large stretches.
Fender Classic Player 60s Strat
Washburn HB35
PRS Santana SE
Yamaha Pacifica 112MX
Vox AD30VT
Fender Champion 600
Dunlop wah
Danelectro Cool Cat fuzz
I Have my thumb over the neck and i know this sounds stupid but i only reilised how much i use it a few weeks ago i mean i have it over my neck and often use it too mute the e string so it doesnt matter when i hit a wrong not i also occasionally fret with it. technicallly its a bad habit but it helps alot if you find it comfortable.
Quote by Td_Nights
I'm starting to think you're a robot.

I already watched it. You told me to after I PMed you, remember? anyway, it's still not feeling right and hurts. I've got decently large hands. My reachers with my thumb behind the neck are farther and I like that, I just can't play like that.

I am a robot. If you're genuinely doing everything correctly, then there's something seriously wrong with your hands.
Go with what is comfortable for you since further it should be any prom for you initially when you start to learn it pains but try to be perfect while doing since perfect makes man...
=================================
Aditi
It's no secret that Fender makes great guitar amps, but which one is the best? We think it's the Blues Junior. Find out why.