What are peoples motivation to learn songs by ear when you can just get it by tabs?
I know some tabs aren't accurate, but doesn't it take long to tab songs, especially difficult solos? I'm not saying it's bad or anything I just want to know why people do it.
Is it for challenge or just practice for when you can't find a tab on UG.

Last edited by RounderIII at Jun 27, 2008,
I think many ppl decide to find tabs by ear because it's a challenge, it gives them something to do, plus it's a good source of practice when other ppl tell them to name a note on the guitar with out looking at it, it's basically just a test
I have to learn by ear if there are no tabs for the song..
Sharing is caring
Fuck the RIAA

- Gear -
ESP LTD MH-400
Epiphone Les Paul
Vox AD30VT
Zoom G2.1u
I'd rather listen to the song and play it right away then going to the computer and searching up tab that is wrong.
Quote by RounderIII
What are peoples motivation to learn songs by ear when you can just get it by tabs?
I know some tabs aren't accurate, but doesn't it take long to tab songs, especially difficult solos? I'm not saying it's bad or anything I just want to know why people do it.
Is it for challenge or just practice for when you can't find a tab on UG.

Because ear training is incredibly important and is immensely helpful in your development as a musician. There's no good reason not to train your ear.
Well, I just use the tab as a starting point and make corrections along the way.

I can't see anybody tabbing the full song by ear unless you have master skills.(which I don't)
Quote by :-D
Because ear training is incredibly important and is immensely helpful in your development as a musician. There's no good reason not to train your ear.

what he said.
Ibanez RG321MH (Air Classic/Tone Zone)
Fernandes Telecaster (Twang King/stock bridge pickup)
Blackstar HT-20 (Scumback 55 speaker/ Tung Sol tubes)
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Lava Cables Clear Connect, Soar and Mini ELC
What techniques are there to learn by ear?
GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Quote by :-D

+1