Ok, so I heard a lot of people say that, for example, a 50 watt tube amp is louder than a 50 watt SS amp. But how much louder would the tube be compared to the SS?
Its not louder, but it SOUNDS louder, I'd say it sounds about two or three times louder and better than SS
The thing i've always heard is take the amount of watts a tube amp is and multiply it by 3, and that's how loud a SS amp is in comparison to a tube amp. I don't know if this is true, and it sounds kinda stupid.
Quote by metalgirl0
Its not louder, but it SOUNDS louder, I'd say it sounds about two or three times louder and better than SS

OK, so it would sound somewhere around a 100 watt SS?
Quote by Inbleach
The thing i've always heard is take the amount of watts a tube amp is and multiply it by 3, and that's how loud a SS amp is in comparison to a tube amp. I don't know if this is true, and it sounds kinda stupid.

got it backwards, I think.
Quote by john{ND}{NGD}
Ok, so I heard a lot of people say that, for example, a 50 watt tube amp is louder than a 50 watt SS amp. But how much louder would the tube be compared to the SS?

It could sound from 100watts-150watts.
Quote by chip46
"I'm discontinuing production on the Timmy now as well. It might come back into production at some point down the road, but probably not because people will just clone it anyway cause they're stupid jerk face doo doo heads. -Paul C."
it's not just "x3" or anything like that, it's an exponential ratio. A 30 watt tube amp might sound as loud as a 90watt ss, but a 100watt tube amp might sound louder than a 300 watt ss. or visa versa ( not sure which way its exponential)
Quote by DiMeTiMe
+3.141592

Quote by imgooley
It was such a good suggestion you gave him pi?

yeah, he gave me pi.
Im pretty sure tubes are 2.5 times louder than SS, but its not actual volume, its just more harmonics and frequencies SS amps dont pick up.
It all depends on the amp we're talking about. Different tube amps have different classes. The most common are Class A and class A/B. A class A tube basically runs hotter then a class A/B tube and in turn will sound louder.

there is no set standard for amp watts to volume. As a general rule of thumb a tube amp sound twice as loud as a solid state amp at the same wattage.
For those who care.
Current Gear
Cort Zenox Z42
Flextone II
Charvel USA So-Cal
Farida M2 Parlour Acoustic
Admira Hand-built Spanish Acoustic
Blackstar HT-5H
Line 6 M13
5 watts class A=30W SS.
15W class A= 100W SS
5 watts class A=10W class A/B
15 W class A=30W class A/B
Please do not insinuate anything sexual from that.

Quote by cobain_is_king
If your friends don't like your guitar, cover it in stickers and it'll be teh rawks!