I'm so excited, I can hardly contain myself!!!

Well, a month or so ago I decided I was gonna build a couple guitars, so I'm doing it. I'm going to build a les paul-esque guitar and a thinline telecaster-esque guitar. they're both getting a flame maple top. the LP will be stained orange. the telecaster will be stained purple with a black burst-like effect on the outside.

LP
Body: Mahogany, flame maple top
Neck: Bolt on Maple on maple? (I'm going to be making a practice neck out of maple, but if it turns out well, i might just use it
bridge: TOM
pickups: I'm thinking stew mac's golden age buckers

Tele:
Body: Mahogany, flame maple top. (couldn't help it, i love mahogany)
Neck: Bolt on Mahogany on Maple.
bridge: stew mac replacement tele bridge
pickups: dunno yet, suggestions?

Plywood templates:

LP Body cutout

A little problem with the router catching:

I guess I'll just use this thread to post pics and describe what I'm doing and we can have a whole Q&A session going on here (i'll probably be doing most of the Q'ing). Actually, let's start off with one. What's the best way to go about sanding inside the curves. I can't seem to get all the tool marks sanded off on the inside of the curves. Suggestions?
The setup:
Fender MIM Fat Strat (midnight wine)
Fender Blues DeVille 410
Digitech GNX3 Multi-effect
Fender CD140SCE Acoustic-Electric
Good so far just need to get the maple top.

Gear
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Carvin V3 and Marhall 1960A cab
2 B.C. Rich Ironbird Pro
Schecter Hellraiser 6
Boss ML-2

Quote by KISSguitarist
Good so far just need to get the maple top.

Yeah, should be in on Tuesday. I got it from someone on ebay whom was recommended by someone else on this forum, don't recall who though. I'm definitely looking forward to it.
The setup:
Fender Blues DeVille 410
I wouldnt put a maple-on-maple neck on an LP, but thats just me. Itll look good with a lighter finish i think, like the orange you want (see sig). If i had the access to one, the best way to sand insisde curves, especially for getting out burn/tool marks, is a spindle sander. Or you might be able to use a small pad/detail sander.
Quote by qotsa1998
I wouldnt put a maple-on-maple neck on an LP, but thats just me. Itll look good with a lighter finish i think, like the orange you want (see sig).

For aesthetic reasons? If so, then I agree. I don't think a light fret board would look very good on an LP, If the neck turns out really well though I don't see any harm in trying to stain the hell out of it to see if I can get it darker. I don't have much faith in my wood working abilities, so i'll probably end up buying necks.

EDIT: Oh god, spindle sanders are not cheap. so much for that plan. haha.
The setup:
Fender Blues DeVille 410
Last edited by pr0pedestrian at Jun 28, 2008,
hack the end off of a broom and wrap sand paper around that. at least for the tele shape that works perfectly, should work well for the horn on the lp too.
Take the time to do a set neck on the LP.
It'll be worth your time.
Please do not insinuate anything sexual from that.

Quote by cobain_is_king
If your friends don't like your guitar, cover it in stickers and it'll be teh rawks!
Actually bolt on necks are more structurally sound and give better wood to wood contact than set necks.
^ I don't know about that... I have been doing a ton of bolt ons recently, but I think that set neck has the edge...
Quote by hippiebass
Actually bolt on necks are more structurally sound and give better wood to wood contact than set necks.

Structurally sound? Maybe, but doubtfully.
If that was so, then the epiphone LP-100 would have a better reputation then a gibson les paul, right?

Sustain comes from set necks.

Quote by cobain_is_king
If your friends don't like your guitar, cover it in stickers and it'll be teh rawks!
Quote by Iansmitchell
Structurally sound? Maybe, but doubtfully.
If that was so, then the epiphone LP-100 would have a better reputation then a gibson les paul, right?

Sustain comes from set necks.

Studies have found that the difference in sustain between set bolt on and neck through is negligible. Also the Epi LP-100 is less than a Gibson because the craftmanship of a Gibson is much better as is the QC. Also if set necks were more structurally sound then why don't most basses have set necks instead of bolt on?
Quote by hippiebass
Studies have found that the difference in sustain between set bolt on and neck through is negligible. Also the Epi LP-100 is less than a Gibson because the craftmanship of a Gibson is much better as is the QC. Also if set necks were more structurally sound then why don't most basses have set necks instead of bolt on?

Gibson QC may as well be nonexistent as far as I've seen.
New les pauls with uneven finish colors, dead frets, lob-sided tuning machines.
Craftsmanship, when they get it right, yes.
But epi is atleast consistent.

The main reason for bolt on necks on ANYTHING is for ease of construction and simplicity of assembly. Less time, less skilled workers.

Quote by cobain_is_king
Well, I've finished routing out the tele body, and the glue on the LP maple top is drying as I write this. I feel like I've been able to determine that I have neither the skill, nor the tools, nor the patience to build a neck from scratch. This means that the LP is getting a mahogany fret board. Don't know about the tele though. the rest of the guitar will be all dark colors, so I'm thinking maybe maple in order to give it some contrast. then again, i like mahogany fretboards a lot better. I decided all gold hardware for both. gold looks better on everything.

Here's the tele fully routed out. do you think i need to make the chamber a little bigger?

Well that's all for now... I'll probably work on it a little more sometime this weekend.
The setup:
Fender Blues DeVille 410
Just a little update on the build. Got the Maple on the LP and it's all sanded down to it's finished shape and stained orange. It looks a little more orange in real life than it does in these pictures. Need to route for the pickups and neck pocket, but im gonna wait till the neck comes in for that. Yes, i ended up ordering necks for both guitars, both maple with mahogany fretboards. should be good times.

Now that you've skimmed past all those annoying "words," here are some pictures...

ok, question time... i do not have a thickness planer. the two pieces of maple i have for the tele are vastly different thicknesses. how would you all recommend fixing this problem?
The setup:
Fender Blues DeVille 410
That is brilliant. I knew it would turn out good. Great job! Oh that made me cream!

Gear
2 B.C. Rich Ironbird Pro
Schecter Hellraiser 6
Boss ML-2

Also put some creme binding on this thing! It would look brilliant. Wait either put creme binding or MOP binding now that would be hot.

Gear
2 B.C. Rich Ironbird Pro
Schecter Hellraiser 6
Boss ML-2