...To let me re-paint my guitar...

Its old and busted up but it plays great. the paint is chipping off and it's starting to look like ****. I was thinking of painting it a white or a very pale cream colour and put a pick guard on it.

Unfortunately my parents don't trust me enough and think i will rush it and **** it all up. I guess they don't know me that well then because i always do allot of research when it comes to things that will cost allot of money or have potential for (epic) failure.

How can i convince them that i should be allowed to paint it?

PS: I paid for half of it and they paid the other half so i guess neither of us "own" it.
Well its not like they play it, and they bought it for you. Its your guitar, **** 'em.
I'll believe in anything and you'll believe in anything.
last.fm
Can we see a picture of what it looks like now? But if you really want to, then go ahead you should just tell them it's yours and you will be careful with it and wont mess it up.
Quote by bizkitday4eva
You know suicide is just as bad as killing yourself

Taco Man of the Jhonen Vasquez/Invader Zim Club. PM HolyWars90 to join
Another one of these "convince my parents" threads? How many 13 year olds are there, really?

Ask them if you can sandpaper it, then. Paint chipping off will obstruct your playing. They might change their minds when they see how bad that looks.
I'm a communist. Really.
It is yours though, you play it and youd take it with you and you moved out.

convincing them wont be easy but if you show youve done research on it they may let you. Then again, I dont know your parents
MaKing thE possiBlE...
...totaLlY impossible
Easy way-offer to pay them back what they paid on it if you screw it up.

Smart way-try and negotiate with them

Dumbass way-do it without them knowing.
Quote by Ticket48
Can we see a picture of what it looks like now?

Sorry haven't got a camera.

It's got 2 dozen paint chips in it which have just been filled in with a black sharpie.
I also don't like the colour.
if you need to you could get a shop somewhere to do it
Pull my finger

Quote by Explicit User

"Kyle.. Do you know what homosex is?"
me:"...yes... why?"
"Do you want to have it?"
Me again:"...no Anthony..no i don't"
"Oh.. okay.. good night"

haha

Quote by madhampster
Dear god the pit is a force to be reckoned with.
Tell them that you'd get it done by a pro, but you don't have the money to.
Then ask for money to get it done by a pro. Would be easier on their minds, I think?
Quote by Jeremy Clark
Easy way-offer to pay them back what they paid on it if you screw it up.

Smart way-try and negotiate with them

Dumbass way-do it without them knowing.

Thats pretty helpful

Quote by EnyoAdonai
It is yours though, you play it and youd take it with you and you moved out.

convincing them wont be easy but if you show youve done research on it they may let you. Then again, I dont know your parents

They are way to over protective. I had to redo half the electronics in the guitar before my dad would let me be in the same room as a soldering iron. God forbid i would burn myself

Quote by Raziel2p
Another one of these "convince my parents" threads? How many 13 year olds are there, really?

Ask them if you can sandpaper it, then. Paint chipping off will obstruct your playing. They might change their minds when they see how bad that looks.

Im not 13 my parents are just way to protective and uptight about me doing anything unsupervised.

Quote by FuZzY(aus)
if you need to you could get a shop somewhere to do it

Nah. Part of the reason i want to do this is because of the learning experiance.
You should research how to paint it right and plan everything out like all the materials you need and so on. Then, show it to them and tell them what your going to do. They should let you if they know that you know what your doing.
"This is gunna blow my cover but I like the FedEx driver because he's a drug dealer and he doesn't even know it"-Mitch Hedberg RIP
"please"
Living is easy with eyes closed...
--------------------------

Quote by GnR_ROK
I'm surprised you returned to this thread after cheeseman owned you.
when they paid half did they say the guitar is a gift to you? if so then it's yours and its a very rude low class move to think they have any control over it. once a gift is given then it's no longer theirs and they should **** off
Oh one more thing. My granddad (Who happens to live across the road ) would have most of the paint/clear coat/primer etc that i would need. I might have to buy the paint though.

Quote by Wesseem
when they paid half did they say the guitar is a gift to you? if so then it's yours and its a very rude low class move to think they have any control over it. once a gift is given then it's no longer theirs and they should **** off

Im pretty sure it was a Christmas present

EDIT: Might have been birthday

EDIT AGAIN: Hell it might have just been a gift. I cant remember any more
Last edited by Final !mpact at Jun 27, 2008,
**** painting your guitar.

Take the money you would spend on that and buy some lessons. Who cares what it looks like? If you can't play there is no reason to have it.
AMERICA
AMERICA
AMERICA
Quote by Gibson06
**** painting your guitar.

Take the money you would spend on that and buy some lessons. Who cares what it looks like? If you can't play there is no reason to have it.

Who said i cant play?

I get lessons already.
Quote by Final !mpact
Who said i cant play?

I get lessons already.

Get more lessons.

Learn Jazz.
AMERICA
AMERICA
AMERICA
or take the money you'd spend on paint, but some dope. Then smoke the dope, you will most likly forget about your ****y paint job.
Quote by Gibson06
Get more lessons.

Learn Jazz.

Quote by your_martyr
or take the money you'd spend on paint, but some dope. Then smoke the dope, you will most likly forget about your ****y paint job.

I should paint a some weed leaves or something on the headstock..
Chipped paint gives your guitar character. You wouldn't want to ruin that, would you?

But to be helpful:
Do the research before negotiating. When you're confident you know what you're doing, go to them, run them through the process, explain how much research you've done, etc etc.
Or get a pro to do it.
Tell ya what.
Just get something really rough, like sand paper, and when theyer not home rub off one side of the body completely untill you see wood.
Then show your parents what you did, and say that "I might as well do it now" its already **** looking. Like people b4 me, tell them how much research you have done.

I wish I had a **** old guitar body that I could build from
Quote by MoshPitRock
ANIMALS LIE DOWN.
that's just what they do.
there's probably humans doing the same thing.
quit being so paranoid.

Quote by saxaxe
Chipped paint gives your guitar character. You wouldn't want to ruin that, would you?

But to be helpful:
Do the research before negotiating. When you're confident you know what you're doing, go to them, run them through the process, explain how much research you've done, etc etc.
Or get a pro to do it.

Thanks.
Quote by Teh_Asian_Pro
Tell ya what.
Just get something really rough, like sand paper, and when theyer not home rub off one side of the body completely untill you see wood.
Then show your parents what you did, and say that "I might as well do it now" its already **** looking. Like people b4 me, tell them how much research you have done.

I wish I had a **** old guitar body that I could build from

Thats not a bad idea actualy. I would HAVE to paint it then.
Quote by Final !mpact

That is the dumbest **** ever

You better not be talking about my guild, because I am a level 70 lightning sage from alzaroth and I will **** your **** up, buddy.
AMERICA
AMERICA
AMERICA
Quote by Teh_Asian_Pro
Tell ya what.
Then show your parents what you did, and say that "I might as well do it now"

Very true. Haha this made me laugh
"This is gunna blow my cover but I like the FedEx driver because he's a drug dealer and he doesn't even know it"-Mitch Hedberg RIP
Last edited by friendoftheend at Jun 28, 2008,
Quote by Gibson06
You better not be talking about my guild, because I am a level 70 lightning sage from alzaroth and I will **** your **** up, buddy.

But to TS
I think its a good idea, I wish I could do the same, but my bass is only new.
Have you showed them the colour you want to paint it?
Quote by MoshPitRock
ANIMALS LIE DOWN.
quit being so paranoid.

Yeah man, do you feel confident?
Dont do it if your unsure. Assumtion is the mother of all fuck ups.
Quote by MoshPitRock
ANIMALS LIE DOWN.
quit being so paranoid.

Quote by Gibson06
Get more lessons.

Learn Jazz.

And if you think you know jazz guitar, man up and learn Jazz Flute.
Quote by tunasband
Who's ug?