Looking to start up guitar. Something Ive always wanted to do but always had something else going on. I ran across this on MusiciansFriend and then went and looked it up and seems to be a well liked guitar for the most part. Alot say its good for heavier music is what I would want to play. Just want to get some input on it before I take the plunge. Also, if this guitar is a good one what would be a decent amp to go with it that isnt too expensive?

Thanks in advance.
Last edited by platinumjason at Jun 28, 2008,
For starters, the name's way too convoluted...

It would help if we had a budget.
i like progressive rock
It's my first (and only) guitar. I've had it for almost a year. I like it, but the neck is becoming a bit too thin for me. Need to press hard to push the strings down onto the frets. The pickups aren't that good, but can't expect much for $300. The body, neck, and paint job were all accurately done. The build quality is very nice. I'd give it a 7/10, I think.
U-G Profile

Gear:
Seagull S Series Acoustic
Ibanez RG2EX1
DigiTech Grunge Distortion Guitar Effects Pedal
DigiTech Hardwire Series TL-2 Metal Distortion Guitar Effects Pedal
1980 Fender Vibro Champ (Weber Speaker, 6L6)
What kind of music do / would you play?
What's your budget?
Planning on gigging?
I'd like to say $200 at most for the amp for now as I will just be playing at home.

As for music, I would like to play something along the lines of Tool, System of a Down, Killswitch Engage, In Flames, stuff like this.
You really cant go wrong with an Ibanez, tho I would suggest looking into a GRG170dx (while the floating bridge can sometimes be a pain, you can chose to just stick it in place with a piece of wood)

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/reviews/electric_guitars/ibanez/grg170dx/

The Rolan Cube 15 is also a solid choice (protip : either start playing without the amp or on the clean channel, makes it easier to hear your mistakes, unlike blasting away on full distortion)
Quote by Demonazzz
I prefer barbed wire strings. I find I can get the most br00t41 tonez with it.
Last edited by lokster at Jun 28, 2008,
I recommend a Cube 15, and a fixed bridge Ibanez. Perfect for you, definitely
The RG2EX1 is my second guitar, my first was one of those cheap starter kits

I like mine, it's great for heavier stuff and even the softer rock. I have mine hooked up to a Crate GLX65 through a Metal Muff pedal and it sounds awesome. Definitely a great guitar for only $300.
YEAH
Schecters and Ibanez's are pretty close, both tend to sound similar (they all pretty much have humbuckers) and both have a low action and a thin neck. I went with Schecter because it just felt a little bit better while playing, but my first guitar was an Ibanez and I love both.
I wouldnt mind buying a used one but the problem I have with that is I dont know how to play yet so Im not sure what to check for on them and what to watch for in order to avoid buying a bad one.

If you guys have any other suggestions for guitars just let me know what they are and I'll look them up.
Quote by Horlicks
It's pretty poor if you want me to be honest

Any other suggestions then for around the same price?
Quote by Horlicks
It's pretty poor if you want me to be honest

People started with alot worse

Again, take a look at the GRG170DX or the GRX40JU for that matter.
Quote by Demonazzz
Quote by Horlicks
What do you play?

Me? A Jackson RR3 that I bought less then a month ago, had the RGR170dx for almost 2 years.
Quote by Demonazzz
Mahogany body, better tone IMO. Decent trem if you want to do whammy. It's really comfortable and easy to play, especially the neck. It's just a fantastic starter guitar IMO and much better value than the RG. If you prefer the look of the others they will work fine too.
Last edited by Horlicks at Jun 28, 2008,
Quote by Horlicks
Mahogany body, better tone IMO. Decent trem if you want to do whammy. It's really comfortable and easy to play, especially the neck. It's just a fantastic starter guitar IMO and much better value than the RG. If you prefer the look of the others they will work fine too.

I do like the looks of the RG2EX1 better but I would much rather buy something that functions better. Thanks for the input. Think I'm going with the SA120.