Hi, I'm really new.

So I'm trying to play this F Chord.

F Major
x o 3 2 1 1

I'm using my index finger to try to cover the First 2 strings (E and B) on the first fret.
(Is that called Barring?)

For the life of Me I can't hold these two strings down with the one finger.
And I read that I'm suppose to be holding down 3!
Becuase if I also hold down the G string, I can move to F minor just by lifting my other finger.

Does anyone have any tips for doing this?
Is it maybe becuase my fingers are still new, and it still feels like my finger tips are about to bleed?

Thanks!

_________

_________

Patrick
4jacks
email
yeah
its natural
it took me the longest to get down f out of all the easier chords
it is a barre cord
it is because you are new
and im pretty sure your fingers arent strong enough to do it for now
btw get used to feeling them feel like they are bleeding
takes a long time to get calluses
Quote by Fate_of_Mind
The username. Who wants to be known as the poop kid? That's like the kid that poops in the urinal at school and everybody finds out about it.

Quote by Metallicaxp
This, this right here is the correct option.
you're just new. Don't worry, itll work itself out. I know, bar chords are a b*tch when you start out, and youll hate them to death, but just keep doing them and your fingers will toughen up and it won't hurt so much.

When I first started playing guitar, I decided I wanted to learn how to play "Stairway To Heaven" by Led Zeppelin.

THAT WAS A HORRIBLE CHOICE. But- I stuck with it and I actually learned the entire song (minus the solo) and now i can play the entire thing off my head. Point is, that song has a sh*tload of bar chords. And learning how to play it really got me into barre chords.

Kinda irrelevant, but i hope you get what im saying.
Barre chords are a real pain when your first starting out. It was easier for me to practice them near the 7th fret and then after I built finger strength I worked my way up to the 1st fret doing them properly. It might work for you too.

Good Luck
Quote by Boddah1
You can try playing an F as a full barre?

1 3 3 2 1 1

Hmm, why the hell would he play a full barre if he cant even do a partial barre?
Actually IMHO i find that full barre at this stage ARE MUCH MORE beneficial as they help build finger strength as fast as possible and also think about it this if you use your entire finger to play 3 notes wouldn't that be easier instead of playing 2 notes with 1/4 of your index?
trust me its not an F full barre is much different and more difficult than an f open partial barre. have you even tried them?
Quote by Flow of Soul
Barre chords are a real pain when your first starting out. It was easier for me to practice them near the 7th fret and then after I built finger strength I worked my way up to the 1st fret doing them properly. It might work for you too.

Good Luck

Thanks! That’s a good trip I will work on that. But don’t I have to go down a full 13 frets in order to play the same chord in a higher octave? Sorry, I’m real new.

Quote by Boddah1

You can try playing an F as a full barre?

1 3 3 2 1 1

I’ve tried a few other full barre chords, Actually I’ve only tried the index finger holding down all 6 chords, And I seriously don’t think I can do it. I was going to get a little more advanced and at least wait until I get some calluses on my fingertips before I came back and whined and cried about how My fingers are too skinny and funny shaped to Barre all six strings.

Quote by amd123
Actually IMHO i find that full barre at this stage ARE MUCH MORE beneficial as they help build finger strength as fast as possible and also think about it this if you use your entire finger to play 3 notes wouldn't that be easier instead of playing 2 notes with 1/4 of your index?

Maybe you are right, But mine sound like crap and seem pretty fruitless, I think I’ll just try taking baby steps.

Thanks Guys!
More questions to come!

_________

_________

Patrick
4jacks
email
Last edited by 4jacks at Jun 30, 2008,
Yea I suggested it since, I have the same problem and can't play that F chord. However I can play almost any other full barre chord.
yeah, in my opinion the full F bar is much easier than the partial bar.
AROUND THE WORLD

Click here if you like the Washington Wizards
I'm doing a little better now.

I think one problem I was having was gripping the neck of the guitar too much with my left hand. The tip of my thumb would be on top of the neck. I'm am trying to make a habit of keeping my left thumb on the back middle of the neck to allow my fingers more reach and arch. It's still a hard chord though.

I am having a lot of trouble changing chords. Even going from C major to G7. I really have to pause and think about my finger placement.

Anyone have any tips on this? What goes through your head when making this chord change? Do your fingers just act on habit? Or do you think about the placement of every finger for each chord? and how it is different from the last/current chord?

_________

_________

Patrick
4jacks
email
Yeah get your thumb away from the top of the neck (low E string) and press it against the middle, then you can reach up further (prolly get hand cramps doing this ).
What guitar are you using? 'Cus if it's a relatively cheap one, it could be near impossible to do it as the strings could be a 8 inches off the fretboard and weigh a tonne

Edit: When I swap chords, I just do it without thinking, but that didn't happen by itself don't worry Just keep practising and you'll be able to do it no probs.
Quote by DieGarbageMan

how could you not forsee the rise of surskits!

Quote by CaptainRon
One second let me just ask my penis.

Reel Big Fish: 20/02.09
Rise Against: 22/02/09
Quote by Yeti60
yeah, in my opinion the full F bar is much easier than the partial bar.

I have to agree with you 100%.

I think it's because the partial makes you use a hell of a lot of force with just the index's first knuckle to the tip of the finger; whereas, the full bar allows you to use the entire set of index finger muscles and some of the muscles of the hand.

TS, it's just gonna take some time and a lot of patience. The main thing is that you try to enjoy your playing. Good luck!
I agree I find full bars easier by a lot. What I did though, is start with basic nites hitting three strings (power chords) by making a bar with both my pinky and index finger. I learned to play all the small things by blink 182, which is a real easy entirely power chord song switching between something like 5 chords. Once I put in all the time to totally learn it, my ifngers just got strong enough to do an F by themselves. Maybe its just me though, but it cant hurt to try