OK, we just got done modding my friends Squier Strat (and don't say they're pieces of crap...), we put in a killswitch. Simple mod, just used a momentary (normally open) switch and connected each of the two lugs to the hot and ground lug (respectively) of the output jack. And all went well until we plugged it in. Whenever we plug it in (tried three different amps, four different cables) we get these annoying humming noises, as though something's not grounded right in the guitar. Also pressing strings or other metal parts intensifies the hum. Someone please help us... We're on a sleepover all-nighter and I basically owe him $150 if I don't fix this before the morning. (6 hours to go...)

Also the killswitch does work. Whenever we press it it completely kills the sound

Please help...
Gear:
Schecter Hellraiser Deluxe
Boss DS-1
Crate GTD65

GAS List:
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster
Your possible problem, is that it isn't grounded correctly. Check the sodder if it isn't bright and shiny then it is a bad sodder and needs to be resoddered. or you grounded it to the wrong thing. the best way is to the back of your tone or volume pot.
^It's spelled Solder...

Anyway, check the connections on the jack; you may have accidentally wired it backwards. That's what the description tells me.

And tell him to screw off about that $150 crap. Tell him you'll pay for a tech to fix it and not a cent more.
^^there is such thing as the EDIT button.

make sure that you're soldered properly, both on the jack and the switch.

EDIT::
see?
------

Shwiggity.
Quote by Invader Jim
^It's spelled Solder...

Anyway, check the connections on the jack; you may have accidentally wired it backwards. That's what the description tells me.

And tell him to screw off about that $150 crap. Tell him you'll pay for a tech to fix it and not a cent more.

I can't have wired it backwards. It's just an SPST switch: two lugs. when pressed, the lugs are connected. What I think I'll try is putting in a new output jack and rewiring it all, and if that doesn't work, I'm screwed...
Gear:
Boss DS-1
Crate GTD65

GAS List:
I mean the jack. And no, you're not screwed. It won't cost much to get a tech to fix it. Like I said: tell him you'll only pay to have it fixed. You shouldn't have to pay for a whole new guitar just for something this trivial.
Quote by Invader Jim
I mean the jack. And no, you're not screwed. It won't cost much to get a tech to fix it. Like I said: tell him you'll only pay to have it fixed. You shouldn't have to pay for a whole new guitar just for something this trivial.

By bending the connector lug (thing that connects to the cord when inserted) in, we got a pretty solid connection! Just the weird thing: the low E string gives no sound at all... Do you understand what this could be?
Gear:
Boss DS-1
Crate GTD65

GAS List:
Last edited by asfastasdark at Jun 28, 2008,
Bump... I really need help... urgently...
Gear:
Boss DS-1
Crate GTD65

GAS List:
pay the $30 for a tech to repair it, and then give it back to your buddy and tell him to shove it up his ass for being so ignorant. seriously, if everyone threw their guitars in the crapper when the pots were crackling or their wiring crapped out, who the fuck knows how many wasted guitars there bould be in this world?
------

Shwiggity.