I listened to some of The Black Keys and I absolutly love the tone that Dan gets. I know he uses a Russian Big Muff, whch I also have, but what else can I do to get close to his tone. I say close because most of tone is in your hands. I also have a Digitech Screamin' Blues.
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7
I don't know how to count canadians, the metric system is hard

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

{Pedalboard Thread Native: The Muffin Man}
Dood he uses some old ampeg tube amps. Thats alot of it.
If love was money I could afford you honey.

Bandalism [Ban-dil-i-zem] n.: the willful or malicious destruction of, or damage to, the fabric of a rock/pop/indie/metal group brought about by one or more of its members.
Quote by lbj273
I listened to some of The Black Keys and I absolutly love the tone that Dan gets. I know he uses a Russian Big Muff, whch I also have, but what else can I do to get close to his tone. I say close because most of tone is in your hands. I also have a Digitech Screamin' Blues.

You have come to the right place, sir.

He uses a variety of amps, namely a vintage Silvertone (as seen in the Just Got to Be video) and a vintage Ampeg Accordion amp.

His pedal board is simple, consisting of a Earthquaker devices Hummingbird Tremolo, a Hoof Fuzz, a Russian Muff (his main pedals that he uses), and I think a Crimson Drive.

He uses a variety of guitars, but you aren't going to get close without humbuckers.

He also picks with his fingers, which accounts for a lot of his tone.

Basically, you can get close with an overdriven amp and a muff/fuzz.

I have a cover of Stack Shot Billy on my profile, and for it I used my AD50VT, my Big Muff, my Screamin Blues, the AC30TB channel on my amp, and my Ibanez Artcore semi hollow.

It sounds best with a tube amp, preferably a darker/warmer American Voiced amp, but you can pull it off with a variety of different amps, just so long as you EQ it right.

Full on mids, always, and about 3/4 bass (to fill the low end because the Keys don't have a bassist). Very little treble.

Hope that helped.
Ok, I have a Les Paul, so the humbucker thing is not a problem. I'll try out those eq settings. Should I use more Muff or more Screamin Blues though? Also does he use fingerpicks or just pick with his fingers?
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7
I don't know how to count canadians, the metric system is hard

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

{Pedalboard Thread Native: The Muffin Man}