I'm really new to upgrading basses, and I want new pickups for my J Bass. Now, would two pickups of different brands work together or must they both be the same? I want a Delano in the neck and a Duncan in the bridge.
What if one was a humbucker and the other single coil? I know I'm pushing it here :S
That's perfectly ok. I think the only thing that wouldn't work would be an active pickup, which would require a preamp
Nope, no sig here.
Quote by fishbass
What if one was a humbucker and the other single coil? I know I'm pushing it here :S

You would have to do some routing, but it would work. Why do you want two different brands? Is your ear that specific? Just a warning, a lot of times brands only sell pickups in pairs.
Quote by fishbass
Sounds like a good idea to me...wired correctly it's the best combination
It will be fine.

Just read all of the wiring diagrams carefully. Sometimes companies do things different than the others.
it should work fine
but the wiring diagrams could have some diferences

and unless one is passive and the other active there will be no problem
you could use an active and a passive but i think it could be more complicated
My Gear

Squier VM p-bass(i chosed it over a fender!!!) with quarter pounder and gotoh 201!!
fender MIM P bass
epiphone SG 400
You could do it. Getting the pickups wouldn't be too hard; I'm pretty sure most pickup companies sell one j pickup instead of a set.