hey i was curious, im playing around with options for a possible new amp and i was thinking of going tube possibly so i can get a better quality sound for the rock band i play in... anywho i was wondering if i could save money and use my multifx digitech for a noise gate and tuner etc. by simply turning the amp model off as well as everything else but have jsut the noise gate on and then i could also use it for tuning during live shows and adding a lil bit of effects here and there while still using the distortion from the tube amp to save money rather than buying individual pedals as well as making things more simple and not carrying a bunch of individual pedals around... so im 99% that would work but my question is will this hurt my tone or would it be equivalent to having individual pedals in front of the amp?
i've been wondering the same thing.
how bad would it be to use the distortion on the tube amp?
Ibanez RG7321
Dean Evo Special 7
Agile AL-2000
ESP LTD VB-300
Peavey Vypyr 30
General of the 7 String/ERG Legion

Quote by Bentheemo
Thats probably some of the best advice I've ever received on here.
SACRILEGE

Don't do it.
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
I do it. I use a Korg to give mine a bit of Reverb, Chorus, Delay, etc. Also mine has some nice Rotary effects I like.
Now running an Eleven Rack with Pro Tools 10.3.3 - it's amazing and I'm having ball with it - worth every penny. PT 10 is tops IMO and the Eleven Rack is a work of art!
POD XTL + Valve Jr works great for me. I have no need to buy any other practice amp. Getting a better mic today to see how gig worthy it's going to be. None of my SS amps come close sounding as good as this setup.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
Quote by scott58
POD XTL + Valve Jr works great for me. I have no need to buy any other practice amp. Getting a better mic today to see how gig worthy it's going to be. None of my SS amps come close sounding as good as this setup.

yeah - I'm shocked how good a VJ (I have the V3 Combo) and a pedal can sound. It's probably gonna Mic just fine. Heck by Mic'in this lil' baby I could gig with it through a decent P.A. I'm sure. I'm lookin at some POD's right now...
Now running an Eleven Rack with Pro Tools 10.3.3 - it's amazing and I'm having ball with it - worth every penny. PT 10 is tops IMO and the Eleven Rack is a work of art!
They work ok. I just use mine for the tuner and reverb if I want it. The overdrive doesn't come close to a cranked tube though.
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender MIM Standard Strat
Fender Deluxe Reverb
Digitech Bad Monkey
Electro Harmonix Big Muff
Ernie Ball VP Junior 250k
Dunlop Cry Baby Wah
i used my rp150 with a 5150 once.

many infants were killed.
Guitar:
Ibanez S-Series 7 String
Pedals/other:
Morley Power Wah Volume
Gemini Dual Channel EQ
Boss TU-2
Amp:
Peavey 5150 120 watt combo (considering sale)
Quote by strangedogs
I do it. I use a Korg to give mine a bit of Reverb, Chorus, Delay, etc. Also mine has some nice Rotary effects I like.

Rotary FTW!! Also TS, it would probably sound a bit better in an amp with an effects loop (since you're not using any overdrive/distortion modeling) than out in front of an amp. Why not go for it? I use digital pedals with my tube amps all the time, sucks a wee bit of tone, but it's a trade off for cost and some of the problems that come from true bypass pedals (unwieldy inconsistant volume levels in longer chains)--not to mention the cost of nice analog stuff. Plus you can always just get better pedals later if you want, and you have a nice amp already, it's win win.
Quote by zapparage
They work ok. I just use mine for the tuner and reverb if I want it. The overdrive doesn't come close to a cranked tube though.

I typically use a blend of the tubescreamer in the POD and the gain on the amp. Depends on the tone i'm looking for. With the gain around 1 o'clock and the screamer about 30% it's awesome using the mesa dual rectifier amp model. Throw in a little fuzz and i have the attention of every dog in the neighborhood. if someone asked me if I have my own tone I'd have to say that one is it. I'm on it most of the time for hard rock. I do use the soldano for most of my zepplin however, but it's so versatile. It just takes a while to dial in. It's not plug and play to get really excellent tone. Truth be told I found some of my best tones by accident trying to get other stuff. Tried to get some Queen for a long time and couldn't then found it last week messing around looking for something else. Metalica, AC/DC, even Tom Petty. It's all there, you just have to have alot of patience and tweak time. My only regret is wasting almost $1000 on SS amps before I plugged a POD XTL into a Valve Jr. Oh well.....live and learn I guess.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Line 6 Pod HD
Pod, turbo tubescreamer, valve junior, it'll give you any tone ever.
Please do not insinuate anything sexual from that.

Quote by cobain_is_king
If your friends don't like your guitar, cover it in stickers and it'll be teh rawks!
Just no. No digital effects with a tube amp. Bad. You *must* overdrive the tubes to get distortion, not 'layer' (destroy) the sound with mushy digi-fx....
Why did Pat Metheney cross the road? He didn't, his hair got in the way
--
Member #1 of Ibanez > You club. PM me to join
Quote by ugmung
the amp models sound good through your VJ?

Not all of them, but that depends on taste so it's pretty subjective. The amp models i use the most are the mesa dual, soldano, hi-watt 100, AC30, and Fender champ. You also have to play with the cabinet models and internal mic placement. These things make a big difference with the tone your going to get. I actually use an acoustic amp model for a pretty decent enter the sandman tone.

My attitude toward amp modeling is not that it sounds exactly like the amp it's suppose to be modeling (i've really only heard a few so i don't know) but does it sound better then every other SS amp out there and have the same versatility. In my opinion it does and will even run with several other tube amps of higher cost (they don't all sound good just because they have tubes). The only thing that's making me nervous at this point is my buddies are starting to talk about gigging and I don't have the volume to run with the drummer when he starts to go crazy.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Line 6 Pod HD
Quote by Sadistic sponge
If you use a multi effects pedal on a tube amp, at least make sure its a high end one. Don't put a zoom pedal into a 2000 dollar amp. Please.

Uhh have you tried a Zoom G7.1 or 9.2? I highly doubt it if you call zoom cheap. Its better than any Boss, Tonelab, or POD I've played. They are not cheap at all, don't diss what you most likely haven't played.
i think most people didn't pick up on my question, it wasn't to use the multifx distortion but to use the multifx pedal for its noise gate and tuner mainly while using the AMPS distortion.... thanks for those who understood and answered :-) and from the few that did i am curious as to why its better to put the multifx pedal using only the noisegate in the effects loop and not just in front of the amp?
- im guessing because the multi degrades the signal a bit? (guitar-multi-amp)
and in the effects loops the guitar is going straight into the amp so it doesn't colour the tone as much?

but if this is the case wouldn't all pedals (even analogue) degrade the signal? or is it just that digital pedals degrade it more than analogue?
the pedal itself wouldn't really do much when it comes to signals because you can have a pedal board with 50 pedals in it and it would still sound better.
Ibanez RG7321
Dean Evo Special 7
Agile AL-2000
ESP LTD VB-300
Peavey Vypyr 30
General of the 7 String/ERG Legion

Quote by Bentheemo
Thats probably some of the best advice I've ever received on here.
Quote by AkiraSpectrum
i think most people didn't pick up on my question, it wasn't to use the multifx distortion but to use the multifx pedal for its noise gate and tuner mainly while using the AMPS distortion.... thanks for those who understood and answered :-) and from the few that did i am curious as to why its better to put the multifx pedal using only the noisegate in the effects loop and not just in front of the amp?
- im guessing because the multi degrades the signal a bit? (guitar-multi-amp)
and in the effects loops the guitar is going straight into the amp so it doesn't colour the tone as much?

but if this is the case wouldn't all pedals (even analogue) degrade the signal? or is it just that digital pedals degrade it more than analogue?

It could degrade the signal, yes, unless it has a good bypass. Correct me if I'm wrong, but you're still going to have to use the bypass no matter where you put it. I personally don't hear a difference in tone when my RP80 is bypassed.
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender MIM Standard Strat
Fender Deluxe Reverb
Digitech Bad Monkey
Electro Harmonix Big Muff
Ernie Ball VP Junior 250k
Dunlop Cry Baby Wah
I don't really notice any difference in tone either... maybe I'm just not a "purist" but I leave mine hooked up "in front" all the time and usually just for the tuner when I'm not using effects.