I know I must sound real stupid, but as the title says I wanna' learn to shred.

Ive been playing for 3 years now, and I can alternate pick, and tremelo pick and what not.

I can improvise some solos, but I can't get the fast stuff. Is there any easy way to become a fast player? Or not?

And sorry if this is in the wrong section.
There are no shortcuts in doing anything good. You need to practice and practice correctly to gain speed. Read this post about half way down I talk about the whole topic of picking fast.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=876114
Quote by dale-banez

my gear:
oh wait, no one cares

Quote by uncboy19
man all guitars are female. if they werent you couldn't make sweet love to them with your fingers. ok somebody better quote that ****. thats like quantum guitar **** rite there.
Quote by shredder.cheese
There are no shortcuts in doing anything good. You need to practice and practice correctly to gain speed.

What he said. Correct and constant practice is the only way to get there.
Get really good at playing the guitar - there's nothing you specifically need to do or learn to be a "shredder", they're just very good guitarists.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by shredder.cheese
There are no shortcuts in doing anything good. You need to practice and practice correctly to gain speed. Read this post about half way down I talk about the whole topic of picking fast.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=876114

Thanks man, your reply on that topic really helped.

To all other posters, Ill do everything you said to try and get better. Thanks guys.
Quote by nightraven
concern yourself with accuracy instead of speed. developing speed will happen over time.

+1
Speed is a byproduct, not a result
-Guitar Gear-
1995 American Fender Strat, EMG 85 pup
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Play what you love, love what you play
Alright guys, Ill be sure to keep your suggestions in mind while practicing every day.
3 years and just learning to shred, dude you need to practice more. i learned to shrd after 6 months using the 3 bands they should help you out alot. Dragonforce--- lead is hard but there rythm are quite easy and fast as hell. For tremolo look at Amon Amarth--lightining quick picking while changing and skipping strings. For lead style shred, look at Ensiferum--intros will get your fingers moving and they incorporate a lot of tremolo, palm muting, chugging, and it will get you into lead stuff like hammeron pull offs, and moving fingers quickly, and it will help with getting your pinky moving.
Quote by nightraven
concern yourself with accuracy instead of speed. developing speed will happen over time.

after 3 years im sure the guy is pretty accurate, drink some powerthirst the youll be like lighting, REAL LIGHTNING hah
Quote by wretchedspawn
3 years and just learning to shred, dude you need to practice more. i learned to shrd after 6 months using the 3 bands they should help you out alot. Dragonforce--- lead is hard but there rythm are quite easy and fast as hell. For tremolo look at Amon Amarth--lightining quick picking while changing and skipping strings. For lead style shred, look at Ensiferum--intros will get your fingers moving and they incorporate a lot of tremolo, palm muting, chugging, and it will get you into lead stuff like hammeron pull offs, and moving fingers quickly, and it will help with getting your pinky moving.

stfu, seriously...unless you've got something useful to contribute.

I've seen guys who've been playing 20 years and are sloppier than a sick poodles turd...how long you've been playing means nothing, it's how and what you practice.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Last edited by steven seagull at Jul 1, 2008,
Quote by steven seagull
stfu, seriously...unless you've got something useful to contribute.

I've seen guys who've been playing 20 years and are sloppier than a sick poodles turd...how long you've been playing means nothing, it's how and what you practice.

haha if you actually read my post you would have seen that i gave him some advice that personally helped me out alot.
Quote by wretchedspawn
haha if you actually read my post you would have seen that i gave him some advice that personally helped me out alot.

Maybe, but it was mixed in with a load of you bragging - nobody cares if you were "shredding at six months", which I highly doubt anyway. If you want to help someone or offer advice then do it, but there's no need to turn it into a childish pissing contest.

It's not a race, everyone learns different things at different speeds in different ways. The threadstarter is looking for ways to progress after spending what's still a relatively short time exploring the guitar and developing more useful, fundamental techniques and you treat him like some kind of guitar-retard just because the way he's progressed doesn't fit with your ill-concieved preconceptions.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Quote by wretchedspawn

Yeah... hmmm. None of that advice was really more than "go play songs by shred bands" - which dragonforce aren't and i without listening doubt the other two are. Threadstarter, you will get a much better start in "shred" by taking things and building them up from a solid foundation.

For about the last 2 years pretty much all i've been doing on UG is giving out advice for guitarists who've been playing 2 or 3 years (or more...) and have finally realised that they have no real command of their instrument. They can't sit comfortably with their instrument, they can't play something "hard" or "fast" without ten attempts, and they're incredibly sloppy and are only just starting to realise this. What you'd much rather be, I assure you, is a guitarist who has really solid technique and can build on it, however slowly, rather than trying to rush ahead and then having to tear it all down and rebuild from scratch.

Two years into my playing, i had to do that, basically learn to sit and hold the guitar, then learn to fret notes, then learn to alternate pick... all because i'd rushed ahead. And you know, it's not like you even get ahead, because it sounds like **** and you can hear the lack of solid ability in every note. Whereas a solid player can nail that easy chord progression ten times in a row and make it sound good.

Have i made my point?
Quote by wretchedspawn
i learned to shrd after 6 months.

Yeah, and I bet it sounded like total mush too.

Speed for speed's sake is nothing. It takes long hours of playing it slow and accurately. Zipping your hand up and down for a minute - minute and a half at random isn't shredding. Personally, I wouldn't be bragging about being able to "shred" in only 6 months because not only does it tell that you weren't doing it well, but it also craps all over people who really put time and effort into their craft. Real shredding isn't somthing you just pick up like a song, it's a technique people put a lot of years into.

Like seagull said, there are far more important fundamentals you should be working on. Practice slow -> play fast.
-Guitar Gear-
1995 American Fender Strat, EMG 85 pup
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Play what you love, love what you play
Quote by wretchedspawn

Ok, those bands you just listed are not shred bands, speed DOES NOT = shred however it's a large part of it, also, stop bragging, you're not impressing anyone, you're just pissing people off, your e-penis doesn't mean **** in real life.

TS, I'd recommend you start looking at some of Paul Gilbert's stuff, his style is unique and in my opinion, one of the most creative guitarists ever as his phrasing only improves and you never hear anything that sounds "the same", learning his stuff will definitely get you started, you should REALLY look at his Intense Rock DVD, that stuff is pure GOLD for you to get a basic idea of what to practice, then you should move onto some of John Petrucci's instructional videos, those exercises will really help you out too, Steve Vai's exercises will also help alot, weird patterns and all.

Good luck!
Quote by wretchedspawn

Fail.
Last edited by Blitz93 at Jul 2, 2008,
Well, seeing as how I'm also in the TS shoes, I guess just practice, practice, practice, and then, when your not practicing, practice a little more. I'm learning all my scales and modes, both closed and open positions. It really seems to help me get more of a feel for the shred kinda stuff, although I'm nowhere near good at it.

I'll have to agree with XainXuiHong about how speed doesn't really equal shred. It is a good part of it, but the most important aspect of shred, or just about any solo style for that matter is to make sure your keeping it musical. Dragonforce, for example, has solos that make very little musical sense (imo).

Also, listen to some shredders and study their style. Yngwie Malmsteen, Joe Satriani, Paul Gilbert, etc. have some great techniques that you can use. Also, take time studying bands that really don't fit in to the shred category. I'm studying Micheal Padget's (BFMV), Alexi Lahio's (COB, although I would probably consider him a shredder), and Dan Donegan's (Disturbed) soloing styles very closely. Its nice to be able to implament your favorite players styles into your solos.

Hope this all helps
Learn something better.
Quote by chip46
"I'm discontinuing production on the Timmy now as well. It might come back into production at some point down the road, but probably not because people will just clone it anyway cause they're stupid jerk face doo doo heads. -Paul C."