I just got my Peavey 5150 combo today, it's really awesome. Im in absolute love with it.
Though I thought I could squeeze a little more tone out of it now that I ave some extra cash!

I want to replace the original speaker in it. I want to recreate a small version of the Krank Revolution cab, I know they use legend v12's, but I'm not sure if they make them in the correct ohm's as my combo. I know they make them for 120 watts, my combo is only 60.

Is there any way I can still use legend v12's or would I have to go with another speaker?
the wattage on speakers. means how much they can handle so its good to have higher speaker wattage than your amp. also you may make the amp sound better by breaking in the speakers more. this is done by playing more.
ODEN 08 'RISE WITH US'
I would think twice about changing the speakers in that amp, as it is finicky with speaker or tube changes. I have a buddy who swapped out the stock Sovtek tubes for Groove Tubes and the amp completely lost the "brown sound" and I have heard reports that speakers changes do the same. So if your gonna try a different speaker make sure you keep the originals just in case.
Quote by dale-banez

my gear:
oh wait, no one cares

Quote by uncboy19
man all guitars are female. if they werent you couldn't make sweet love to them with your fingers. ok somebody better quote that ****. thats like quantum guitar **** rite there.
What do you want to change about the sound?
^5150 does not have a ''brown sound''
Quote by Horlicks
^5150 does not have a ''brown sound''

Ohh it can get the brown sound alright.
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Quote by Horlicks
Only if you count ''brown sound'' as ''shit your pants on full on volume''.

Interested in vitamins and their many uses? Visit my site to learn more about vitamins that can give you energy, increased gym performance, increased recovery, and improved overall health (no broscience)
Check it out: Energizedbyvitamins.com
Quote by Horlicks

Sorry yngwi3, but it's a well known fact that the Peavey 6505/5150 can't do the Van Halen sound unless it's modded (like the ones Eddie used back in the day)
Quote by Horlicks

Quote by babyboo666

Sorry yngwi3, but it's a well known fact that the Peavey 6505/5150 can't do the Van Halen sound unless it's modded (like the ones Eddie used back in the day)

Okay it can't get THE brown sound, but it CAN get pretty close.
Quote by Pookie6

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Quote by shredder.cheese
I would think twice about changing the speakers in that amp, as it is finicky with speaker or tube changes. I have a buddy who swapped out the stock Sovtek tubes for Groove Tubes and the amp completely lost the "brown sound" and I have heard reports that speakers changes do the same. So if your gonna try a different speaker make sure you keep the originals just in case.

It isn't to hard to find a better speaker, the Sheffields suck terribly.
I say put some Warehouse Speaker Retro 30's in it.
Guitar:
Schecter Omen 6 (Dimarzio X2N & Tone Zone)
Amps:
Engl Fireball
Genz Benz G-Flex 2x12 Cab
Well I don't mind about the "brown sound".

So the legend v12 would work in the combo?

What other speakers sound familiar?

About the sound...I want a nice tight low end, with nice mids aswell. I want some nice chug basically. If you want band examples, I guess like soilwork, in flames, Scar symmetry.
Last edited by georgeazguitar at Jun 28, 2008,
Ffs, I wish people would STOP BLINDLY RECOMMENDING THE GODDAMN VINTAGE THIRY, IT'S NOT THE BE ALL AND END ALL OF EVERYTHING BY ANY MEANS.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
eminence swamp thang
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808
Quote by MrCarrot
Ffs, I wish people would STOP BLINDLY RECOMMENDING THE GODDAMN VINTAGE THIRY, IT'S NOT THE BE ALL AND END ALL OF EVERYTHING BY ANY MEANS.

It would, however, work for what he wants.
I can recommend the Eminence Governor and Wizard speakers, myself, i think they sound really good and they could(especially the governor) probably get quite close to the sound your asking for.
My gear:
Ibanez RG 570 w. Irongear pickups
Tokai EX-55 Korina Explorer
Laney VC50 w. Eminence speakers
Digitech Bad Monkey
TC Electronics Nova Repeater
ISP Decimator
Roland Cube 20X
BC Rich Bronze Series Warlock
Quote by colin617
It would, however, work for what he wants.
Not the point, I was getting at that almost every thread I see with a query for a new speaker always has people telling the guy to get Vintage 30s, it's annoying.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Quote by MrCarrot
Not the point, I was getting at that almost every thread I see with a query for a new speaker always has people telling the guy to get Vintage 30s, it's annoying.

True.

It does work quite well with the 5150 though. It's what I've got. But I haven't tried anything else so I'm not gunna say they're the best.
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
Quote by MrCarrot

Eminence Legend maybe for another choice?
Quote by Pookie6

Quote by uk.mace