im looking at buying either the tokai les paul custom or the epiphone les paul standard and i noticed the bodies are made from different wood iv played both of them and theyre both realy nice i just wondered what wood is overall the best one?

J
In spite of the name basswood will have less bass response than mahogany. Basswood has a flat eq curve, while mahogany loses some top end (compensated by maple top) and gains a bit of bottom end. As a result it'll sound a bit warmer, and mellower.
Yamaha RGX 520FZ
Squier Affinitys Strat (customized!)
Johnson 620 Player Acoustic

Boss HM3 hyper metal
Boss CH1 super chorus
Zoom G1X

Peavey Valveking Royal 8
New: Peavey JSX Mini Collosal
Tokai is quality. Especialy their old ones from the '70s and '80s.
Empty tankard! Empty Tankard!
They have different tones, so it depends what kind of tone you are going for. On top of that, it also depends on the grade of wood. The basswood will probably be lighter, if that particularly matters. Some people do have problems using mahogany guitars (particularly non-chambered Les Paul ones) for long periods of time due to the weight, not necessarily the case though.

Without any substantial information or trying them, I would probably say the Tokai, but that is a pretty blind choice. Unless you are completely sold on those two guitars, there are lots of good Les Paul copies you can get used for pretty cheap (Edwards, Burny, Greco). You may also want to check out Luna Guitars, the ones I've seen have been pretty nice, but I haven't seen their sort of Les Paul copies yet.
which tokai? there are a load of different models...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
LC53 or the ALC53
iv looked again and god knows where i got basswood from but it seems that it has a agathis body not a basswood?
iv never ever heard of this wood!

what is it!!

J.
agathis is a wood which is generally used on budget guitars. There's some debate as to how bad it actually is (the fact it's used on budget guitars means it's going to be cheap, rather than good, agathis, so the argument goes that it's not really fair comparing it to high quality mahogany on more expensive guitars), but generally speaking, it's better being safe than sorry.

As far as I'm aware, that tokai model you mentioned is a chinese or korean model- i'd have though it's of similar quality to the epiphone, but it may be slightly better value. Though it might not. I can't see that exact model on the tokai website, so your guess is as good as mine... just be careful, tokai don't always use the "right" woods in their cheaper models for the style of guitar (then again, neither do epiphone on certain models).

it might be worth taking a look at some vintage advance models too- I haven't tried their les paul-style models, but their fender copies are quite decent for the money. If it doesn't have to look close to a les paul, Machinehead are blowing out washburn idol wi65pros for £239 (including UK delivery, I think), as they're discontinued models- these come stock with duncan pickups, and if you can put up with the looks (or even better, if you dig the looks!), that'd be my choice. EDIT: I should add, though, that it probably sounds more like an SG than a les paul.

http://machinehead.co.uk/index.php/cPath/21_49 (the top 3 washburns are the ones I'm talking about)

http://www.jhs.co.uk/vintageadvance.html (those vintage advances i mentioned)

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Jun 29, 2008,
Yeah, basswood is a carving wood again, so it is technically easier to damage, but it is also a lot easier to shape tone with basswood guitars vs. mahogany because mahogany has a more mellower tone. But to be honest, mahogany has a better clean tone ability IMO.